11/21/14

gingerbread crumb cake

As luck would have it, when I re-posted the crazy-famous eggnog crumb cake last week on my Facebook page, someone asked me if I had a gingerbread crumb cake.
I don't but wow, did I love the sound of that one.  Challenge accepted!
I mean why not have a little bit of buttery crumb topping with your gingerbread...right?
IMG_6842
I love gingerbread, but why not kick it up a notch?
A little buttery, salty crumb on top.
It's really good.  Trust me.
IMG_6829
IMG_6845
IMG_6823
IMG_6824
IMG_6841
IMG_6839
IMG_6844
Friday Links will be back and live next Friday!
I'm a little behind in life these days.
Have a wonderful weekend!

gingerbread crumb cake
print recipe

crumb topping
1 ½ cups flour
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
¾ ts salt
1 ts cinnamon (or any other spices you wish)
10 TB unsalted butter, melted & cooled a bit

cake
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 ts baking soda
¾ ts baking powder
½ ts salt
1 ts fresh ginger powder
1 ts cinnamon
¼ ts cloves
1/8 ts nutmeg
12 TB unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
½ cup PLUS 3 TB sour cream
4 TB molasses

cook notes:
Grease up your bundt cake pan well!
Make sure to taste-test your batter before baking to see if you want more molasses flavor; I didn’t make it too strong.
The cake batter is very thick.  It might be a nice addition to add some chopped pecans to the crumb topping mixture; a hint of texture is never a bad thing.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a bundt pan with non-stick spray or grease up with butter. Set aside.
For the crumb topping:
In a medium bowl, mix the sugars, salt, and flour.  Add the melted butter and stir with spatula until combined. Set aside.
For the Cake:
Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and all the spices into medium bowl.
Using electric mixer, or mixer or by hand beat the butter and sugar in large bowl until smooth.
Add in the eggs, beating until well blended after each addition.
Next add in the sour cream and molasses; mix until just blended.
Lastly add in the flour mixture in batches—I did two batches, until all is just combined. Do not overmix once the flour is added; remember lumps are good!
Pour the batter into the greased pan, spread batter evenly.  You might have to use a spoon or knife to spread mixture around evenly.
Next add on the crumb topping by dropping clumps (2-3 inch clumps) of it on to the top. Just a gentle push down on the crumbs, not too hard.
Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until tester inserted into center comes out clean (mine was done at the 37-minute mark).
Please rotate the pan halfway through baking time.
You will know cake is done when there is no more jiggle in the middle of the cake.
Once cake is cooled, remove from pan carefully and place on a large plate or cake stand.
Keep cake well covered.  Should only last 2-3 days at room temperature.


13 comments:

  1. I love it! Bring on the gingerbread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely crumb cake queen. You know how everyone seems to be getting their own cookbooks? You need to do one of all crumb cakes and the like. I love gingerbread. It's one of my favorite holiday flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for that challenge! This looks fabulous. I might have to have it with a glass of eggnog. Spiked, of course. And catching up just never happens with me, though !y intentions are good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gingerbread in its traditional cake like form is so underrated. Adding all that crumb topping is genius! So much texture and flavor. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the crumbs were so plentiful, they overpowered the cake! i love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love gingerbread! And this looks amazing -- outstanding recipe. Glad you accepted that challenge! Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore your crumb cakes 'cause crumbs make up half the cake! I confess I'm relieved I don't have any sour cream in the house (or milk) so I won't run to the kitchen, make the cake and eat it all afternoon. Which I would. Trying for a little control here. Saving up for the big day tomorrow, even though I'm not cooking, I'll still be pigging out.
    Our temps dropped 20 degrees in the last two hours....hate to think what's happening to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there anything that a sweet salty crumb topping doesn't make better? I hope not, because if there is, I probably wouldn't like it. This sounds way better than your average gingerbread cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lets us be honest. Everything is possible. For a day they can write an essay on programming with which then it will not be embarrassing to go to your teacher. But the price of the question is appropriate. The main problem is to find a programming help service that will not fail and understands how to correctly complete the task. Advise a service that I can use to reduce my search time. I will be very grateful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic content ideas, every content vey interesting. thanks Eyelash Extension Glue

    ReplyDelete
  12. This article is an appealing wealth of useful informative that is interesting and well-written for us. I must share this one with my family. Now it's time to avail Limo’s limo service West Palm Beach for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing article with complete knowledge. Thanks for sharing. I want to share information about the Custom app development company in Pune. With a commitment to quality, innovation, and customer satisfaction, Appconsultio, a Custom App Development company is your trusted partner for all your software development needs in Pune and beyond. Let us help you unlock the full potential of your business with tailor-made solutions that drive growth and success. Contact us today to learn more about how we can bring your ideas to life.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This