7/27/14

coffee-oreo ice cream (no cook/no churn)

IMG_2464
Whipping up a batch of your favorite ice in less than 5 minutes when it's 90 degrees out with 100% humidity is just priceless.
Why is it when it gets that humid I lose my appetite?
Do you?  And then hours later when it cools down a bit, I get hungry?
I wonder why that is?
Coffee-oreo ice cream is one of my weaknesses.
But what troubles me is some ice cream joints 'barely' put any oreo's in there?
What's up with that?
I like my crushed oreo cookie to ice cream ration to be at least 40/60, with minimal chunks and the occasional giant chunk (or 5 in the mix).
I mean who doesn't look for the giant chunk of frozen oreo cookie when eating their ice cream?
Oh yeah me! Some days I scoop out the whole Ben & Jerry's mint oreo ice cream pint JUST to find a the giant chunk of cookie! Sad right?
IMG_2461
Speaking of Ben & Jerry's have you seen the prices?  Ouch. AND I see less and less stuff in their ice cream--if anyone was not going to be part of the 'cutting back/scaling back' I would have thought it was good ole Ben or Jerry.
So let's make our own, it's just as tasty, and far cheaper, plus you control the amount of cookie chunks you want in there.
IMG_2467
You don't need an ice cream maker for this recipe!
Just a good bowl that stands up to freezing well.
I prefer thick glass for freezing ice cream.
I just don't like using metal when freezing ice cream--that metallic taste.
IMG_2455
IMG_5445
Just mix everything right in the bowl, stir, add in chopped oreo's, and freeze!
IMG_2460
IMG_2463
To jimmy or not to jimmy?
IMG_2462

coffee-oreo ice cream (no cook/no churn)
print recipe

1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 pint + ½ pint of heavy cream, cold
1 pint whipping cream, cold
1 Starbuck Via* (or 1-2 TB of high quality espresso powder)
giant pinch of sea salt
3/4 - 1 cup of rough chop oreo's (any vanilla or chocolate)

cook notes:
*the Starbuck Via's are pretty strong, so you really only need one, unless you're using a low/blonde roast one.  For this recipe I used the Pike Place Via--just the right amount of bold.
when you've mixed all the ingredients, do a quick taste-test and see if it needs more espresso.
If you're using an espresso powder start off adding a little then work your way up.
If you can get a hold of the Via's please use them for this recipe.  Does this work in an ice cream machine?  Yes. Just add in the chopped cookies at the last 3-4 minutes of churning.  I added in a lot of chopped oreo's, if you don't like a lot, then add in less.

In a medium bowl, mix all the ingredients until all is dissolved.
Make sure the condensed milk is well mixed in and doesn't just sink to the bottom.
Do a taste-test and see how you like it.
Pour into a freeze-safe glass or other bowl that has a tight fitting cover.  Place the chopped oreo's on top, don't push down, just let them stay on top; some will sink to bottom, some won't.
I used a large glass bowl that has a tight fitting lid.
Let freeze for 2-3 hours.
Makes about 1 & ½ pints, roughly?

13 comments:

  1. So when I come visit you, you'll make me this...right? Right?! OK- fantastic. YES- I totally search for the chunks. Best darn part.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks awesome! Coffee + oreo sounds like a great combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coffee oreo ice cream is the best. And homemade is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. Any ice cream made with condensed milk is fabulous! (See tropical terrine in your Friday links. So pretty and such a great idea.)
    And, re Friday links:
    Bora Bora was lovely, but we liked Huahine better.
    When I was a child, we picked wild blueberries in northern Michigan and my mother made the most divine pie. They look and taste different than regular blueberries.
    Obviously sleeping on your back looks like the best way, however, it's the only way I can't sleep...really bothers my back. Wonder why they didn't mention that?
    I've tried the shower route for steaming wrinkles when traveling, even put things under mattress.
    Re gregnancy photos..yikes!
    I liked the lucky numbers article. Will try the 15 one tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my this ice cream look so yum, my family would like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coffee, cookies, and no cooking or churning? This could be my new lunch every day for the rest of the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. great use for those starbucks vias! i like that there's a combo of oreos too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coffee Oreo ice cream is actually one of my fave flavors!! I really need to make ice cream before the summer's over...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The price of Ben and Jerry's is out of sight. So we've been making our own no-churn ice cream, too. And we love the add-ins! Can't get enough. This looks superb -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I officially have the biggest oreo ice cream craving of all time! And with coffee too. Girl, you know the way to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are totally killing me here. I have found myself eating much more ice cream than I used to, because of these no churn deals. they are really good and now i can't wait to try this because coffee and oreos just slay me. But maybe it is because I just want leftover oreos! And your ad showed when Outlander begins on Starz and i have been wanting to know this because I love those books, so double win for me on this site tonight! Damn girl. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this Ice cream! Look absolutely amazing!
    I will try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still haven't made ice cream this summer. Such a bummer. I need some Golden Orem ice cream in my life.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This