4/2/13

salty chocolate oat cookies (recipe clone from kayak cookies)

Surely everyone knows by now my obsession with Levain Bakery in NYC and my obsession with Kayak Cookies aka Salty Oats Cookies here on cape cod.
I've done all the recipe re-creations I can with Levain.
And now I'm onto Salty Oats.
Some of you may have heard of Salty Oats?
They are predominately sold in the NE.
A semi-healthy cookie that is almost a meal too.
A hearty cookie that packs a flavorful taste with a nice dose of salt.
Like Levain, no one knows the recipe for Salty Oats cookie.

IMG_1637
Some have speculated that they use a rice flour to get that perfect chewy like texture.
So with my first batch, I used rice flour.
Never baked with it before, but I like it.
What does the rice flour do to the cookie?
Well it makes is half gluten free, it brings a richness to the cookie and that's about it.
I think I might know more when I make the oatmeal raisin version; with chocolate it's hard to tell as the cocoa powder is rich and dominates the cookie flavor-wise.
At Salty Oats they have these flavors: oatmeal-raisin, chocolate oats, chunky chocolate-pecan--all salted--all good!
With these cookies I created I had set out to create first oatmeal raisin, then halfway through mixing I realized I had no raisins!  So last minute, I made them into chocolate BUT wanted to try them with nuts added. Her recipe has no nuts.
So now, I have salty chocolate-walnut.
The verdict?
I think I almost nailed it.
I know I didn't add enough oats, and I should have made them a bit bigger.
But texture wise I nailed it spot on.
If you know of the Salty Oats and are a fan, do try and make these, they taste just like the chocolate oats one.
And it's an easy recipe to play with, switching out different ingredients.
IMG_1635
IMG_1905
IMG_1620 (1)
IMG_1624
These cookies really don't spread at all. So if you make them into dough balls, you will need to "gently" push down on them halfway through baking.  Just a gentle push because they do crack!
IMG_1630
IMG_1639
Truly a good cookie.  Hearty, tender inside with a nice gentle crispy outside.
I added a hint of cinnamon too.
At Salty Oats she claims to use Belgian chocolate; I will have to look for Belgian cocoa powder.
Best part? The salt on top, don't worry it's not overly salty at all, and the other best part?
This cookie is not too sweet--I hate overly sweet cookies.

salty chocolate oats (kayak cookie recipe clone )
print recipe

1 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup + 1 TB dark double dutch cocoa powder
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp (16 TB)
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 ts baking powder
1 ts baking soda
1 ts sea salt
1/2 ts cinnamon, optional
2 large eggs
1 ts pure vanilla extract
2 cups of rolled oats (not quick cooking!)
extra course sea salt for sprinkling the tops

In a medium bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients.
In a larger bowl, cream the butter and both sugars; add in the eggs, vanilla extract and mix.
Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix till just combined--don't overmix.
Next, by hand, add in the rolled oats.
Cover dough well with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least three hours or overnight.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line up two baking sheets with parchment paper or whatever method you use for baking cookies.
Divide dough into 12-13 large chunks; roll into balls and place on cookie sheet about an inch apart.
Sprinkle tops with sea salt before baking.
Bake for about 14-17 minutes. Halfway through baking, you might need to give the dough balls  a gentle push down to flatten very slightly--be careful not to push too hard as they will crack.  Also rotate pans halfway through baking too.
You'll know they are done when the bottoms are almost crisp/set up and the tops have a gentle crisp to them. It's really easy to overbake them, so definitely check at the 15-minute mark.
Makes 12-13 cookies.

22 comments:

  1. They look so totally amazing! I've never used rice flower, I'm intrigued!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gots to try these. Love the chocolate, oat, salt combo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cookie that doubles as a meal is my kind of cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have brown rice flour and sweet rice flour, the later used for Butter Mochi. Which is closer to what you used? I'm thinking brown rice flour. I saw your Friday post where you showed a link to Homemade Baci, but now you have my attention with these. What to do, what to do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise--I used white rice flour, not sweet not brown.
      In fact, I've never heard of sweet rice flour; I bet they are found in asian markets?
      Sounds interesting!

      Delete
  5. I love how thick and puffy they are! And salty chocolate...that's so you! I just posted a salty/sweet recipe that has your name all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those cookies look good! I am liking the rolled oats in a chocolate cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cookies, I think, are the hardest desserts to really pin down but I think you've done it! These look so absurdly tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look fantastic! Never heard of them before, but they look like something worth replicating :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well these cookies look dangerously addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Another one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. salty chocolate?! i'll take two ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These cookies sound really interesting. I love discovering new foods from across the country!

    ReplyDelete
  13. talk about a hearty and hefty cookie--i like what i see, though these are brand new to me. nice job, dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi not sure you still check this, but did you ever figure out the oatmeal raisin version?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi not sure you still check this, but did you ever figure out the oatmeal raisin version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, kind of. You can use this recipe minus the Reese's peanut butter candy, and add in some raisins. http://vanillakitchen.blogspot.com/2013/09/salty-oatmeal-cookies-with-peanut-butter.html

      Delete
  16. how much walnuts did you put in? Also what would all purpose flour still be good instead of bread flour? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is a very interesting reading. post malone net worth I found a lot of things which I need. Great job on this content. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This Blog is very informative for us. Thanks for writing it. In this article, some examples help me in applying in daily life. amazing You have explained each and everything very well in detail. I hope you will write more pieces which help us in our daily routines. cartooncrazy

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great article with well-scripted, engaging content that is full of original and sensible views. Much of your informative content is in line with my way of thinking.
    post malone net worth

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, Yummy cookies, thanks for the share perfect recipe.
    Oats Cookies in Vadodara

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This