11/18/12

pumpkin blondies

Pumpkin blondies?
Can we call it that?
Not sure since the pumpkin is on the top, along with a hint of cream cheese. But the cake-base is a blondie mix...so why not call it a blondie.
It's delish no matter what you call it, and it has a nice light pumpkin flavor.
IMG_1054 (1)
Are you making any pumpkin dishes for Thanksgiving?  What about breakfast?
Do you do breakfast? Or just snacks until the big feast?

If you need an idea for a light breakfast, my pumpkin-butterscotch is perfect.
I love to hear what everyone is eating and making for Thanksgiving.
You know what I love most about holiday dining?  The apps, the side dishes, and desert.  Oh yeah.
I can easily skip the whole turkey and ham and just dig into the side dishes.
IMG_1052
IMG_1061
IMG_1067
IMG_1056

Need a really tasty dessert for Thanksgiving?
pumpkin cheesecake with chocolate-nutella ganache
Try my pumpkin cheesecake with nutella ganache

A couple great ideas for an easy breakfast:
sweet potato muffins stuffed w/ cinnamon-mascarpone
sweet potato muffins stuffed with cinnamon-mascarpone

crumb cake muffins w/ creamy espresso filling
crumb cake muffins with creamy espresso filling

raspberry-cream cheese crumbcake
raspberry-cream cheese crumb cake (this one is very popular on Pinterest right now)

butterscotch-banana bread      
banana-butterscotch bread

pumpkin blondies

blondie base:
10 TB unsalted butter, room temp +extra butter for pan
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 ts baking powder
3/4 ts salt
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
2 large eggs
½ ts pure vanilla extract

pumpkin topping:
4 ounces cream cheese
½ cup plain pumpkin puree
1 egg yolk
1-2 TB sugar
a few dashes of either cinnamon and/or pumpkin spice

Cook notes:
I don’t like a lot of pumpkin pie spice, so I was very gentle on adding it in the mixture.
You might want to taste test if before baking to see if you like it. 

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Butter or non-stick spray a 8-inch square baking pan.  If your pan needs to have parchment paper to avoid sticking go ahead and do so.  
In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
In a glass or cup, mix the eggs and vanilla extract until combined, set aside.
In a large bowl mix the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; cream on medium speed until smooth and fluffy.  Then add in eggs and vanilla mixing well.   Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.  No need to overmix.
Pour batter into prepared pan; spread with a rubber spatula or wet hands. Make sure it gets into the corners.

For the pumpkin topping:
Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. I used a fork to mix this, as I wanted lumps.
If you don’t want lumps then mix all this in a mixer until smooth.
Using a spoon or piping bag, place lines of the pumpkin mixture on top of blondie batter.
I just left it as lines.  If you want it more mixed then use a chopstick or thin/skinny knife and make swirls.
Bake in oven for about 25-35 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into blondies comes out “almost” clean; okay to have a few bits of crumb on the cake tester.  Cooking times vary depending on oven, so please check at 25 minute mark.
Let cool before cutting into squares. 
For decoration, dust with confectioners' sugar before cutting into squares.

21 comments:

  1. Love these! Blondies are awesome, and such a fun idea to add in pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always say this- yayyy for pumpkin! Looks great. Kind of coffee cake ish? I am making a squash side dish, an apple dessert & cookies

    ReplyDelete
  3. yessssss. keep the pumpkins coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blondies sound fabulous and not surprising that those raspberry bars are popular on Pinterest right now - I've had my eye on making them for ages now!

    Of all your crumb-cake style bars and recipes, which is your fave?

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of these recipes look fantastic. I love the pumpkin blodies and I'm going to check out that butterscotch banana bread. It looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holidays are totally all about dessert. I'm all excited about what I'm going to make. This is a great take on pumpkin blondies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can call these what ever you want.....they look amazing....well anything you make is amazing...Heeeeeyyyyyyyy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so with you on the turkey - i only like the sides and dessert! I usually have a light breakfast and then a snack to prepare for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all a pounds so delicious but I have to so that raspberry thing. Looks so good.

    I don't know why I haven't been able to leave cooments on your blog and others. I am using my tablet right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the great pumpkin ideas. I'm thinking pumpkin for Thanksgiving breakfast too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pumpkin blondies! I would have never thought of that- they look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. so many tasty things in this post i'm not sure which to comment on first ;) i'm tempted to skip the meal and just stick with pumpkin baked goods!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blondies with pumpkin cheesecake sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I could totally do without this whole Thanksgiving dinner business if it meant I could just eat a piece of every one of these desserts!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm gonna take a shot in the dark here--you like pumpkin, am i right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think you just sealed my birthday 'cake'. Pretty sure I'm going to request some sort of pumpkin cheesecake. I've never had one!

    These all look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  17. And now I'm drooling - yay for pumpkin treats! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The pumpkin blondies look great!! Nothing beats blondies! They are just delicious no matter what flavour :)

    You have a lovely blog here! As fellow foodies we can't wait to read more of your delicious posts! New follower here :)

    Chloe & Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm drooling... What wonderful treats. Absolutely irresistible!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are beautiful....Delicious. Like you, I could easily skip the turkey and the ham, and go directly to side dishes.

    Happy Holidays to you!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lol, pumpkin cake bars?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This