11/23/12

homemade double chocolate mint filled Oreo's

I love Oreo's.
I do, BUT....
I cannot take all those chemicals in them.
Sure as a kid I could eat a ton of Oreo's and never have that "crash & burn" feeling.
But now that I'm older,  if I have a few, about an hour later I feel like taking a nap for days.
Always wondered what would Oreo's taste like without all those chemicals?
And, what would they taste like if I used high-quality cocoa powder?
I just always felt as if the chocolate Oreo could use a lot more deeper, darker chocolate flavor.
And I wanted an Oreo filling that did NOT leave a waxy coating in your mouth.
Don't you hate that?
So I made my own....
IMG_1104

IMG_1106
They look hard to make, but really they aren't if you do them in steps.
Dough and filling made 1-2 days ahead.
Roll and bake next.
The only hard part, if you have to call it that?
The rolling out, as the dough is a bit sticky, so you need patience to roll, cut, and place on cookie sheet.
After that, it's easy. I mean who doesn't like the "filling the cookie" part?
Right?
These cookies look like they are soft, but trust me, they are crunchy. If you look closely at the bitten cookie you will see the "crunch".
IMG_1095
This is the best high quality dark cocoa powder.
From King Arthur Flour.
Invest in some. It has so many other uses.
IMG_1068
IMG_0686
Oh yeah, I always keep Oreo dough next to my healthy green drinks. Ironic?
IMG_1091
IMG_1092
IMG_1096
IMG_1099

homemade double chocolate mint filled Oreos
recipe adapted from so many sources online

Cookie base:
7 TB unsalted butter, room temp
½ cup sugar
3 TB brown sugar
3/4 ts salt
¾ cup double Dutch DARK cocoa powder (+more for dusting board for rolling dough)
¾ cup all purpose flour
½ ts baking powder
¼ ts baking soda
1 ts pure vanilla extract
2 egg yolks

mint filling:
4 TB unsalted butter, room temp
1 + ¼ cups powdered sugar, sifted
¼  ts  pure vanilla extract
¼ ts (or more) pure mint extract
a pinch of salt

Cook notes:
If you can’t find double dutch dark cocoa powder then use regular DARK cocoa powder but you might need more than ¾ cup; possibly a cup? Not sure since I haven’t made it with regular cocoa powder.  I highly suggest investing in some double dutch dark cocoa powder.  King Arthur Flour sells it.
If you don’t want mint filling then you substitute the mint extract for vanilla extract; use ¾ ts vanilla extract. Do a taste test of filling to see if it needs more mint.
I used 4 inch cookie cutters, feel free to use 2 inch or whatever shape you desire.

Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, baking powder; set aside.
Using a mixer cream butter and both sugars. Add in the egg yolks.
Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Next add in the dry mixture (the flour mixture).  And mix until combined.  It will be a thick, sticky dough. Place dough in plastic wrap, shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and flatten into a disc.

Chill dough for at least a couple hours.  When ready to use, let it sit at room temp for 20 minutes or when it’s ready/easy to roll.  Don’t let dough get too warm; we want it to stay fairly cool.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Dust your board and rolling pin with cocoa powder, and roll out dough to about 1/8 of an inch thickness
Cut out circles with a 4” or 2" round cutter or whatever shapes you desire.   Use a thin metal spatula under the dough to move it to the cookie sheet.

Place a couple inches apart on cookie sheet. They don’t spread much, but if your dough is too warm they might.  If you think your cookie dough got too warm then just pop them back in the fridge before baking.
Knead the scraps of dough together, re-roll and cut out until all or most of the dough is used.
Bake 10 - 12 minutes, or until almost firm.  You need to let these cool on the cookie sheet (about 8-10 minutes); they need to set up.

Mint filling:
Using a hand or stand mixer cream together butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, mint, and salt on medium speed 5-7 minutes until light, creamy and fluffy.
I found that using a pastry bag fitted with a plain tip worked best.  But you can use a ziploc bag with a hole in the corner or simply use a spoon/knife to place filling into center of cookie.
Should make:
12-14 (4 inch cookies)
22-24 (2 inch cookies)
Store in airtight container. Keeps 2 days if that.

15 comments:

  1. You outdid yourself! I am working on a cookie recipe post and didn't use Dutched cocoa in it but now you make me want to get some of that K.A. for my next baking projects.

    The filling on these. The cookies themselves. GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are SO beautiful! I've been waiting for this post since I saw your pictures on instagram. I want to make these for Kay's next birthday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love the dark chocolate cocoa. Yum. I have to find that stuff for my next chocolate cake. These oreos look scrummy! Please share your recipe at Foodtastic Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am totally doing this - what an easy to follow recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boyfriend and I recently had a discussion about whether or not I would allow my future babies to eat Oreos and I was like HELLZ NO. I'll make them myself! He was doubtful...but I am SO making him these to show him that I know best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a liitle bit of a thing for the occasional Oreo. The new Gingerbread ones are pretty tasty. But homemade is always better. So now, how about a homemade Golden Oreo?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look great, Dawn! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. those are gloriously dark and i love the mint aspect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl, I need to make these again trying your filling instead of the white chocolate I did before. They remind me of peppermint Joe Joe's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is this Bravetart's Fauxreos recipe, but using volume measurements? They are nearly identical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it might be? what is their website. this is not my recipe.

      Delete
  11. Oh boy... these would not last long in my house!

    Thanks for your kind words for me & my family - I really appreciate it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum-o, I got to make these! And I love the healthy drink next to the cookie dough--I do the same thing just to make myself feel healthy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow, love the mint. must give these a try... i bet i'd eat the whole cookie! (was a sucker for the filling as a kid)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I might need to devote some time to make these cookies!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This