11/14/12

pumpkin-butterscotch crumb cake

Are you like me when you taste good food, that first bite, your brain says "hmmm I wonder how this would be if x and x were added?"
That's exactly what I did when I made my NY Style Pumpkin Crumb Cake--I instantly thought, 'I should add a hint of butterscotch next time'.
Pumpkin and butterscotch a no-brainer right?
Well, as long as the butterscotch is toned down a bit--too much is just wrong and tastes all chemically.
IMG_1085

This actually would be perfect for a Thanksgiving breakfast.
It's quick and easy to throw together.
And if you're a crumb-junkie (like me) then you'll love this.
Plus it's a bit lighter than the NY style crumb cake.
IMG_1089
It makes a lot of crumb--but this is good.
If by chance it is too much crumb for you, freeze half for another cake!
IMG_1071
IMG_1074
Is it wrong that I wanted to eat it raw?  I mean doesn't that look good?
IMG_1077
The smells of pumpkin and butterscotch it leaves in the house.....
IMG_1080
pumpkin-butterscotch crumb cake


2 cups all-purpose flour
2 ts baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
¾ cup of plain greek yogurt (or sour cream)
½ can (or 7.5 ounces) plain pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
a couple dashes of pumpkin spice
a couple dashes of cinnamon
giant pinch of salt

crumb topping:
1 stick of butter (8 ounces) melted & cooled
½ cup sugar
¼ cup dark brown sugar, packed
1 cup flour
a few dashes of pumpkin pie spice
½ ts salt
¾ cup pecans, small chop (or you could use walnuts)
¼ cup (or more if you like) butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350F.
Sift flour, baking powder, and spices into a bowl; add in the sugar and mix.
In a separate bowl whisk greek yogurt, eggs, pumpkin, and oil together.

Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. Lumps are good, do not overmix.
Spread batter into 9 or 10 inch cake pan.
Make the crumb mixture by combining all ingredients in a bowl, mix well, and then add in the butter;  mix.
Using your hand, make medium clumps and place on top of cake batter.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Please let this set up and cool at least an hour before slicing.

You could try using this batter in muffin tins.  Just reduce and/or watch the baking times.

11 comments:

  1. I love the butterscotch + pumpkin combo. What a great idea to add chips to the topping on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the queen of crumb cakes! I recently made one and ever since have been really paying attention to how many you have - and I want to try them all! Love that this one is baked in a 9-inch pan. I love crumble topping and butterscotch, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree that pumpkin and butterscotch were meant for each other! And for large crumbs. LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mm mmm mmm! I was waiting for this recipe since you posted the picture on instagram! Delicious combo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried pumpkin and butterscotch but I bet it's great! I am finding myself saying people can freeze crumble if it's too much because in my book there can never be enough crumble.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, are you pumpkined out yet?

    ReplyDelete
  7. crumb is good, and love the butterscotch addition :) i'd cut myself a big slice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. copious crumb topping AND butterscotch chips? you know the path to my heart, dawn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those crumbs look so good! I would love to cover a cake with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I first started blogging, I was drawn immediately to one of your crumb cakes because the crumb was so generous! Honestly, I think you make the best looking crumb cakes. Ever!

    And yes, I'm still madly in love with my Nespresso machine! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree that pumpkin and butterscotch were meant for each other! And for large crumbs. LOVE IT.
    https://indiafoodnetwork.in/

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This