9/11/09

hamburg-cheddar-onion pizza w/ fig jam

fig pizza 4 9-10-2009 3-48-57 PM

I seriously need to open my own pizza shop. :::ring ring::: "Hello Vanilla Sugar Pizza House may I take your order?" That doesn't have a pizza ring to it does it?
fig pizza 2 9-10-2009 3-22-55 PM

But seriously my constant craving for strange and unusual pizza is never ending.
I would love a big old kitchen with massive brick pizza ovens to test my funky recipes.
Would you all come? Would you even go so far to try the funkiest of funkiest that I create?
Give me your funkiest pizza that you would love to try?
What toppings? What sauce? What kind of dough?
You need to try that multi-grain pizza dough from Whole Foods. It's so chewy, bakes up nice and crisp on the edges, with a hint of chewy in the middle.
But the key is to have a scorching hot oven to bake.  The faster you bake the multi-grain dough the better it tastes and the better the texture too.
fig pizza 1 9-10-2009 3-21-54 PM
fig pizza 5 9-10-2009 3-49-32 PM

cheddar-hamburg-onion pizza w/ fig jam
print recipe

your favorite pizza dough recipe or use this
sharpcheddar cheese, shredded (don't know if mozza would work here)
3/4 cup +/- caramlized sweet Vidalia onions
cooked hamburg (1 lb. pre-cooked), optional but wonderful
fig jam (see below)
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 450/500 degrees. If you have a pizza stone use it, they make all the difference in the world when making a thick hearty pizza like this one.
Top the pizza with a nice layer of the fig jam- get those edges! The jam makes a killer crust.. Not too thick nor too thin. Sprinkle on the shredded aged cheddar cheese, then the hamburg (if using), then the caramelized onions.
Bake till nice and crispy! About 12 +/- minutes. I know it's hard, but let this bad boy rest before cutting into it. Serve with a side of the fig jam for dipping.
Here is my fig jam recipe (below). It's funky, but good. The next time I make this I want to add in some mustard seed--I felt it was missing it.

Fig Jam

1 cup of pureed figs (sweet mission figs-the insides only, not the skins, only puree for a couple pulses)
¾ cup of good balsamic vinegar
1 heaping TB of dark brown sugar
3 TB orange juice
Salt & pepper
1 TB pure vanilla extract
Couple dashes of curry powder
¼ cup caramelized onions

Combine the pureed figs, dark brown sugar, 3 TB of orange juice, and vinegar in a saucepan and simmer over low heat, not boiling, but a tiny bit of bubbling. Simmer until mixture reduces down about halfway of its original mixture--maybe 40 minutes? Keep an eye on this, you don’t want this to burn. At the last 5 minutes of simmering add in the curry, salt & pepper (to taste), caramelized onions, and the pure vanilla extract.
Once it’s reduced down let it cool. When cooled, place in blender and puree. Pour through a sieve/chinois to get out the little funky bits and seeds.

43 comments:

  1. I have been waiting for this one ever since you mentioned it on Facebook:) I love the onions and fig combo. Of course I would leave off the meat, but that is me:) Please open your own pizza place! I would love to order from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really does sound like heaven! But I think for me, instead of the hamburger I would do apple slices...and bacon, yeah, bacon. Believe me, I think I could rival you in pizza creations. In Northampton (MA) there is a pizza place called Pinocchio's and they put all kinds of crazy things, like tortellini and pesto, or black beans, avocado, fresh tomatoes and creme fraiche. Also a favorite buffalo chicken, and blue cheese with scallions. Oh and thin slices of potato with rosemary! I could go on for YEARS. We so need to hang and make pizza one day, Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you, man! This looks freaking awesome!

    Best pizza places? Sal's, a local joint I'm sure you know. Oregano's in Newburyport, and Elvio's up north in the mountains.

    Piiiizzzzaaaaa!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I opened and I'm hooked. I really like the idea of this pizza. You know, I haven't had may figs in my life os far, but I'd take this jam. I'm sure it tastes fantastic with the pizza. If you did op up your own pizza place, I'd order from there all the time. Even if I'm all the way in the west coast. Just make sure you got some bi-coastal shipping. haha...

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM!!! That looks amazing and I would definitely go to your pizza shop!!

    I didn't realize you were from MA until I read 'hamburg'. hehehe...

    I'm from the Boston area. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so amazing and YES I would come to your pizza place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, so you got my order? how long for delivery?

    :) guess who just picked up some figs!! umm, don't know that i have an absolute favorite pizza place... my tastes sure have evolved so i think some that i remember are better in my head :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would totally go to your pizza joint! My fave pizza places in LA are Stone Fire pizza and Batali's place Pizzeria Mozza...soooo amazing!!

    How bout some prosciutto or bacon on this??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You need to open a cafe PERIOD! Baked goods, pizzas, other fresh delicious creations! Your pizzas are not weird...they're YUMMY :) Love the fig jam addition. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude, I'd willingly suffer from "food allergy issues" just to have your pizza!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would visit you! I love pizza, all kinds (but not a serious fan of deep dish!). Right now I'm loving thick, chewy, yeasty crust with lots of fresh garlic in or on the sauce. Stringy cheese is a must.

    I thought of you today. I went to see Julia and Julia and loved it. You must see it, it won't ruin your perception of her. Your love for her will only grow deeper. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In a weird way that pizza sounds great. I would definitely come have some pizza at your pizza joint. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know what I love? Everything you cook and bake. This pizza is FANTASTIC!! You never cease to amaze me and yes, I would come to your pizza parlor!!

    My favorite pizza place is called Louie's in Idaho. I grew up eating it and they have the best sausage EVER. Now I am craving pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A total mouthful. Nice. For some reason, this would be nice with bbq sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh, I love figs... and fig jam is so good! And with pizza!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would be the first in line at your pizza joint!!!
    I love most all pizza toppings, well except pepperoni!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The fig jam makes this sing. So original delicious and beautiful. What a grand idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love onion in pizza..gimme,gimme!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That sounds AMAZING. I love anything with figs.

    My favorite pizza is from a place by you- Red Rock in Swampscott--- Figs, gorgonzola, roasted corn, fresh arugula and lobster. It's heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you deliver to Australia???

    I have just come home from having pizza for tea at my nephew's roadhouse.

    How about chocolate spread, sliced banana, marshmallows, shredded coconut and topped with whipped cream on top, yum yum.....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmmmmm!! This looks awesome!!
    My favorite pizza place is Bellacino's Pizza and Grinder. here you can grab the pizza offer Buy one get one pizza free.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Okay, now I really am starving! Your fig jam sounds spectacular. I love the thought of having pizza and vanilla on the one plate :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. that is one outrageously messy and glorious pizza, dawn. guess what i love most of all...that stinkin' heart-shaped bowl. too cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fantastic! The next pizza on our list is bourbon poached peaches on brie.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd eat any of your pizzas!! This combo sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your pizza shop would be my favorite, you should totally open one! This pizza looks really excellent, I love the idea of fig jam with it, how delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome looking pizza. It looks picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I would be your loyal customer! This pizza looks fantastic! And I adore figs, they are my favorite fruit. I can have them in any version and this jam is great idea with this great looking pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mmm, I love this flavor combo, it sounds SO good! I'd order from you all the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm totally in love with your pizza. Looks so good. What a great idea with the fig jam.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mmm, look how cheesy that is...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yup. Need the protein on there with all the other goodies. Fig jam on a pizza. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is one tasty looking pizza! I like the sound of serving it with fig jam.

    ReplyDelete
  34. this looks so yummy!!
    I love figs on pizza!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my God Dawn, you have outdone yourself with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Good gracious woman! You killing me here! :) but I don't mind, this is the kind of death I think I'd like :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am with you on a big ovens, I would be in pizza heaven! Fig jam very nice interesting touch! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. WOW!! This is something that sounds and looks so interesting! I wish I knew what it tasted like.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I would totally go to your pizza joint. As a matter fact, you would be the main supplier for our Pizza Night Thursdays!

    I am so ready to try a slice of this!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is my kind of pizza! Strong Cheddar and Fig Jam! Yum!! Love your blog! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  41. You are a very creative cook! Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This