9/13/09

sweet potato fries w/ caramelized onion-horsey dip

copyright 2009 dawn finicane

Are you tired of the sweet potato and carmelized onion themes? No? Cool. Seriously, ask any foodie out there, isn't it always all about the sauce, the dip, marinade, the drippings, etc..? Truth be told I am one of those people that when in a restaurant or in my own home I always want extra sauce; have no problem asking for extra sauce on the side. And you know it's nice to meet other foodies out there that share my same affinity for 'extra sauce'. Since I've started blogging, I've noticed and adore how many foodies out there that love extra sauce. In my last post, banana custard tarlettes, I talked about how as a young child I loved my extra sauce--I still do. A good sauce that has depth of flavor, as well as many flavors mingling inside, not just one or two, but many flavors in the beginning of the bite and at the end of the bite. This dip is one I created from my deep love for truly good caramelized onions. You know the kind of caramelized onions that take hours to caramelize and develop? I wanted to try and incorporate these caramelized onions into a spicy horsey creamy dip. I mean come on, caramelized onions and horsey sauce--Onwards I say! This also has fire/heat to it and it has that horsey heat to it as well (double the fun). Of course I need a vehicle to eat this dip, I mean you could use your fingers, but the sweetness of the sweet potato fries does add a really nice contrast to the two types of heat in the dip. I would imagine this dip would taste good with potato chips (might be kind of salty and hide the deep heat), but I prefer the sweetness of the sweet potato fries. Carrots or cukes would go very well with this.

Oh BACON, baaaaaconnn should be added to this! Quick write that down!

copyright 2009 dawn finicane

caramelized onion & horsey dip
print recipe

¼ cup mayo (Hellmans)
¼ cup sour cream
Couple pinches of cayenne pepper
Couple pinches of chili powder
3 TB or more of horsey sauce
3-4 dashes of hot sauce
2 TB of catsup
3 TB caramelized onions

Mix all together. You might want to puree the caramelized onions if you don't want chunks in the sauce--up to you. Please let this chill at least 3 hours before serving so all the flavors meld nicely together and get all nice and happy.
And add some real, crisp bacon chunks to this; I must try that next time.

61 comments:

  1. I could live off of sweet potatoes & caramelized onions, and be 100% happy/not bored - keep 'em coming :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never tire of sweet potato and caramelized onion, and I'm definitely the saucy type. Put both of these tendencies together and you've got a huge fan for your delicious dip! Bacon is just the salty, smoky, crispy cherry on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that bite for me? I'll take it! Looks down right delicious. Oooh, bacon. You can never go wrong with bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this with all my heart...that sauce..oMG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm I just ate sweet potato fries and wish I had such an awesome sauce to go with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, fries! They have been surprisingly difficult for me to give up lately. I love me some dipping sauces. Besides your posts, I have never heard of horsey sauce. Is that another east coast thing you picked up?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I was craving something sweet until I saw this! Thanks. :>

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always ask for extra sauce on everything! These look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet potato fries are one of my favorite things to eat. Great way to spice them up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sweet potatoes are one of my faves. I like horseradish dip as well so I will definitely have to try this combo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my! That looked sooo good..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Extra sauce? Ummm, yes please! I cook sauce of some sorts every night!
    yummy dip sista

    ReplyDelete
  13. I make a baked sweet potato 'fry' and would love a nice dip for it so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, niw deep fry zome eggplant sticks dipped in tempura batter. It will knock you out of the ballpark with this sauce......Yum
    Jan Canyon

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am in the midst of a sweet potato obsession at the moment. I am going to try these this week. And I just love the picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to try that recipe. That looks to good. I love sweet potato fries :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Who wouldn't love a batch of sweet potato fries, right?

    Yes, I love the suggestion of adding baaaaacon. hehe...

    I've got to try the dip.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE sweet potato fries...and caramelized onions...but together like this? An entirely new world! I cant wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. for me, the caramelized onions MAKE your dip. no sweet potato fries are required, although they would make a lovely dip-deliverer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm afraid if I made this more my husband he would lick the bowl clean without any fries or chips

    ReplyDelete
  21. Never had sweet potato fries & that dip is absolutely calling my name! Could live off it dawn...it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The dip sounds fantastic with caramelized onions! Perfect with sweet potato fries!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Um, Dawn, these look delicious. Man, I've been missing some seriously awesome treats while I've been gone :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks awesome. And yes - it is all about the sauce. The more the better!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What can be better? Nothing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I WANT that dip!!! I love onion AND horseradish...oh yes and the bacon added would be HEAVEN!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. oooo bacon would be the perfect touch- sweet and salty

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yum! Those pictures are making me want some now!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is always about the sauce! We make sweet potato fries weekly, and I always like experimenting with different sauces to serve with them. This will be next time! And caramelized onions totally rock, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  30. those sweet potato fries look perfect! and that dip? great combo :) i'm going to go out on a limb and say keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  31. yum. i pretty much love all of these things!

    ReplyDelete
  32. These look AWESOME! I love sweet potato fries.

    This sooo was on Tastespotting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. don't know about the horseradish part, but the carmelized onion by itself in a dip would be fantastic... now you just have me craving some sweet potato fried!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Look at those photos!!! Look at those fries! PERFECTION!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dude, you're killing me with the sweet potato fries... totally killing me. I just left the market and now I gotta turn around :)

    And caramilzed onions, we will never get sick of you. You are like Seinfeld reruns, and will live on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm going to have to mull this one over. I love sweet potato fries just the way they are. I would like your sauce just the way it is with veggies or crackers. Together? I'm not sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I could drink that sauce... seriously. Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your sweet potato fries look amazing...my stomach is grumbling right now.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I would love to dip those chips into that sauce! They looks so crispy mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi there! I came across your blog on stumble upon and I have to say you make such incredible food! I am drooling over here. I'm loving that caramelized dip!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Mmm, sweet potato fries. The horsey sauce would kill me, as I am allergic to all things horsey, but I bet it compliments it nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh wow. That looks unreal! I bet the dip would be awesome spread on a burger.

    ReplyDelete
  43. My hubby is from Europe and loves mayo on his fries so I know he would devour your dip! Sweet potato fries are just the best - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  44. The dip sounds amazing! I always go for extra sauce too!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh wow! Yum. Pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  46. We eat sweet potato friends and carmelized onions at least 3 days a week! I gotta try this!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Those fries look so nice and crisp. I love sweet potatos!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Sweet potato fries are really good and that dipping sauce would go ell with them.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love the dip idea, but how do you make the fries? I have been looking for a good oven-fried recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  50. I can't say I have ever wanted to lick my computer scree, however...Yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. This looks so delicious. I wish I could leave work to go home and try out the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  52. This is a unique combo. Bet it is good.

    ReplyDelete
  53. i don't care much for mayo but this dip sounds aaaaaaaaawesome. i'm including it in my post about the top sweet potato dips, check it out..

    http://sweetbytesblog.blogspot.com/2009/11/goodbye-ketchup.html

    ReplyDelete
  54. I have this dip chilling in the fridge right now...the next 3 hours of my life are going to be a very difficult test of willpower. It tasted AMAZING before chilling so I can only imagine what awaits me a few hours from now :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This