11/17/13

sea salted pumpkin-oat cookies

I do love a good salted oatmeal cookie.
A nice thick, crisp outside, soft in the middle, salted oatmeal cookie.
Just enough sweet in the middle to offset the salty top.
And now we can add pumpkin to it!
So this is for all those pumpkin emails I received asking for MORE pumpkin cookies recipes that aren't terribly time consuming.
Speaking of pumpkin, I hope you've tried baking with pumpkin butter?
pumpkin bread chocolate bark
pumpkin snack cake with buttercream frosting
pumpkin butter crunch bars
AND of course the ever popular pumpkin oreo's!
IMG_2147
I got a lot of compliments on these cookies.
A nice gentle pumpkin flavor, the nuttiness of the oatmeal and just the right amount of sea salt on top to balance all the flavors out.
I love that pumpkin butter adds the flavor of pumpkin without all that wetness that a pumpkin can sometimes do to a cookie.
IMG_2151
I can't tell you how fast the 1st batch and then the second batch were eaten!
Like a vacuum sucks in air---gone baby gone!
IMG_3419
I do like making my cookies a tad bigger than most people (shocker I know).
Here I used a medium ice cream scoop.
If you want smaller cookies-please go ahead; you might want to reduce the baking times.
And please, don't forget that little bit of sea salt on the tops?  OK?
IMG_3418
Right out of the oven they will be very soft and delicate--just let them rest a bit and firm up;
it will be worth the wait--I promise
IMG_2148
salty pumpkin-oatmeal cookies
recipe from vanillasugarblog.com
print recipe

2 sticks unsalted butter, room temp (16 TB)
¾ cup light brown sugar, NOT packed
1/2 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
3 oversized TB pumpkin butter (I used Trader Joe’s)
1 ¾ cups bread flour
¾ cup flour
1 ts baking powder
1 ts baking soda
1 ts sea salt
½ TB cinnamon
2 cups of rolled oats (not quick cooking!)
sea salt for sprinkling the tops

Cook notes:  I used Trader Joe’s pumpkin butter.  You can use any type of pumpkin butter.  I do like to make my cookies larger than normal, so if you wish to make smaller cookies just watch the baking times as smaller cookies may need less time in the oven. Once the dough is mixed, it really needs to chill and set up; if you skip this step you might have flatter cookies.
As always I like to remind everyone that I don’t have a mixer, so everything I mix is by hand; if you have one lucky you!

In a medium bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients.
In a larger bowl, cream the butter and sugars; add in the eggs, pumpkin butter and mix.
Add dry ingredients to the wet and mix till just combined--don't overmix.
Next, by hand, add in the rolled oats.
Cover dough well with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least three hours or overnight (I let this sit in fridge 48 hours and it was fine).
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line up two baking sheets with parchment paper or whatever method you use for baking cookies.
Using a medium ice cream scoop, scoop out and place on cookie sheet about an inch apart.
Sprinkle tops with sea salt before baking.
Bake for about 13-17 minutes.
Rotate pans halfway through baking.
You'll know they are done when the bottoms are almost crisp/set up and the tops have a gentle crisp to them. It's really easy to overbake them, so definitely check at the 13-minute mark.
Makes about 18-22 cookies? (I’m sorry I can’t remember!  LOL)

23 comments:

  1. Dawn they look awesome! First, nice that you didn't use actual pumpkin puree b/c it tends to make things very cakey. Pumpkin BUTTER rather than puree is a great call. And I love the texture from the oats. And I love that you used an ice cream scoop. I like to live large too :) Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm SOOOO making these ! I adore all of your cookies. More uses for pumpkin butter? YES!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sea salt is SUCH a nice touch! I feel like it makes all sweets THAT MUCH MORE tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great combo. Those cookies must taste heavenly.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yummy! They look perfect for a cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore salt on cookies, it always adds a lovely touch, lifting them from ordinary! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cookies look super yummy! Not too oaty which is always my problem with oatmeal cookies. Do you think these would work with pumpkin puree?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did the week go? I missed Friday links again.
    Will check the frosting out at WS. Don't know how I missed those. I take my time in there. Some killer flavors listed.
    Self checkout joke. Hah. Pinned it.
    I can't wait for our Trader Joe's. Ground not even broken yet however.
    On last trip to London, my daughter and I went to both St. John restaurants. Completely awesome. Thanks for the link.
    The open letter to paleo-diet enthusiasts is spot on. I don't get it either. (Thought it was my age until I read that letter. Now I feel vindicated.) Wonder what Hank at Hunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook has to say on the subject?

    Your pumpkin oat cookie recipe looks delicious and easy to make. Sea salt top is a great idea. Got to get that medium sized scoop on (very) soon WS visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pumpkin cookies look like perfection! Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These cookies look great. And I'm loving all the pumpkin flavors this Fall. :) They are heart-warming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love salty sweet desserts so these cookies are calling my name! I need to get that pumpkin butter the next time I am at TJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look awesome with gooey, brown-sugar centers.
    I might get Daisy to bake a batch for my sister's bday tonight!
    Thanks, doll. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the words salted and cookie together - it makes me so happy. I want these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. these look great love the contrast with sea salt in baked goods

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm excited about their shape and that sea salt on top!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the addition of pumpkin to these cookies...and sea salt! Salt makes everything better. Good thing I have naturally low blood pressure ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look amazing! I love the sweet & savory combo :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like a vacuum sucks in air. Totally right. Love the salt and the puffiness. Now I just got to find me some pumpkin butter! Trader Joe's isn't opening until February. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i really wish it was easy to get your hands on pumpkin in the UK, because i neeeeeeed these in my life! they look great!
    the hobbit kitchen x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. These look wonderful. Such a great combo of flavors - really inspired. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love flaky sea salt on top of cookies! These look awesome. I've been wanting to buy that pumpkin butter from TJs but didn't know how to use it - now I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. another winner of a pumpkin recipe! yum yum yum. i have some pumpkin cinnamon swirl bread cooling in the kitchen right now, otherwise these cookies might be being made now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made these today!! I used extra Pumpkin Butter and Chocolate Chips. Also I made them smaller (they baked in 10 minutes) and ended up getting 60 cookies!! These are SO GOOD!! And the whole house smells like pumpkins now :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This