11/11/13

pumpkin oreo's

Call me lazy smart, but there are times when I will skip a recipe all-together because the filling or the frosting is too hard and I don't want to fill or frost 50 cookies or cupcakes.
So any short cut I can think of to "skip" that step I'll consider do it.
And filling cookie cream sandwiches?
Oh that is time consuming.
But I have found a nice short cut.
I rolled up the cream filling into a nice long log, chilled it, then sliced it off like a cookie.
Am I brilliant or what?
I thought the cream filling would not harden and it might not take, but it sure did; firmed up just perfect for slicing.
Only thing you have to remember is to roll the cream filling a bit more narrow than the size of the cookie.
I don't think this will work for cakes or cupcakes--although I am working on it.  ;-)
But it definitely works on creme-filled sandwich cookies. And what a time saver!
When the cookies were done, I merely sliced off the filling and assembled!
I think that saved me 30 minutes of what used to be frosting labor!
IMG_3395
IMG_2134
So now that we only have to slice and bake and then slice and fill the cookies, I can definitely tell you
that these are very easy to make.
Which makes it perfect for the upcoming holiday baking!
IMG_2136
BONUS: you can make your own "double stuff" Oreo's!
IMG_3341
IMG_2123
IMG_2127
IMG_2131
Slice and stuff!  Easy right?
IMG_2132
IMG_3398
Pumpkin oreos
From vanillasugarblog.com
print recipe

pumpkin cookie:
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 TB cornstarch
1 dash of pumpkin pie seasoning
2-3 dashes of cinnamon
¼  ts baking powder
½  ts baking soda
½  ts salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
½ cup granulated sugar
3 oversized TB pumpkin butter
2 egg yolks, room temp

creme filling:
12 TB unsalted butter, room temp
1 ½ cups confectioners' sugar
giant pinch of salt
3 dashes of nutmeg
½ cup (or more) finely ground walnuts

Cook Notes:
I used a bit of nutmeg and finely chopped walnuts for the cream filling.
You don’t have to you can leave it plain or a dash or two of cinnamon.
I sliced the cookies off the dough roll about ½-inch thick.  If you slice them too thin, they aren’t that strong when baked.  This is a crispy outside cookie with a delicate, not soft, inside.  Not a wet or moist cookie at all.  Once you roll up the cookie dough in plastic wrap, roll it back and forth like a rolling pin to get it more uniform/circular; this will help you have a more “circle shaped” cookie when you slice it. There will be extra filling left over, but save it for the next batch of cookies—I think it freezes fine if you cover it well.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and salt; set aside.
In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on med-high until well mixed.
Add in 2 egg yolks and pumpkin butter and mix.
Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.  Please do not overmix.
Scrape the cookie dough out onto a very lightly floured surface.
Form it into a two long logs. I find that once the log is wrapped its easier to form it into a more even log by rolling it back and forth as if it were a rolling pin.  Get it as uniform as you can since we will be using this to slice out round cookies.
Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight.
Make the filling next as you need to give it time to chill.
For the filling:
Using a hand mixer or stand mixer mix all ingredients until well combined.
Do a taste test and see if it needs more salt.
Place onto plastic wrap and form into one or two logs.
Form by rolling with plastic wrap on, into a nice uniform, rounded log, so it make for slicing easier.
When ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Remove one log of cookie dough from the fridge, and using a sharp knife slice cookies about ½-inch thick or thicker.  Place about an inch apart on baking sheet.
Bake the cookies for 10-14 minutes, or until they have puffed and the tops look set. Remove the sheets from the oven and allow the cookies to rest for about 15 minutes before transferring them to cooling rack.
Cool completely before adding the filling.
Take chilled crème filling, and slice about ¼-inch slices; place onto/into cookies.
Should make about 24-26 sandwich cookies.


21 comments:

  1. Good God, Woman. You're a genius!
    I'm coming to live with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nabisco better watch out! These pumpkin oreos look DIVINE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn, I tried to answer your email but it kept getting rejected. Somehow would not go thru. Anyway, here is my mailing address: Jan Canyon, 405 N. John F. Kennedy Ave, Keytesville, MO 65261 I am excited about winning the cookbook and delighted to have something new to cook from ( other than YOUR delicious recipes! ) These pumpkin Oreos are definitely next up in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahhh ok. I wondered what had happened. Got it!

      Delete
  4. Slice and bake? I'm in. We need this for thanksgiving! yumyumyum

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is definitely a great idea for filling the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh man. these are killer! love the prep ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a super idea for filling cookies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's be real. I'm so much more excited about pumpkin oreos than regular oreos. and you're kind of a rockstar for creating these!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another winner! I'll bet they taste as good as they look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a good idea! These beauties look delicious - I don't know if I could eat JUST one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Smart Idea with rolling the filling! What a time saver!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rolled cookies are suc fun and here you have rolled the icing too:D

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet they are quite addictive! a great treat...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum on these cookies, pinned
    Boo on Lululemon; my butt will stay with Danskin
    Copied Pumpkin Tres Leches
    Did not want to read about over-rated supplements, but did.
    Love the north pole photos
    Haven't seen my abs in 20 years, but still do the exercises
    Sad about Charlie Trotter and Lou Reed
    As near as I can see, when I drive anyplace, everyone is moving HERE. (florida, that is)

    ReplyDelete
  15. These cookies look amazing! Oreo should take a note from you! Love the walnuts in the filling and how you sliced it. Genius! Though I have come to expect nothing less than genius from you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. very nice! i especially like the filling, which should come as no surprise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great Idea!! Definitely the very best kind of cookies. Love and like to eat. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great time-saving idea! I never make filled cookies because I think they're too much work, but this is a great idea to make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Was wondering what it meant by "both sugars"? I only see one sugar in the cookie reciepe ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just a typo
      corrected it!
      thanks for noticing!

      Delete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This