10/15/13

pumpkin snack cake with pumpkin buttercream

Homemade snack cake.
Don't you love that one sentence?
Does that conjure up fond memories as a kid or even as an adult?
What was you best snack cake memory?
I would love to hear.
IMG_2066
IMG_2070
To me, snack cake has to have a really good, not overly sweet, but fairly sweet frosting.
A frosting that just glides over the tongue, melts instantly in your mouth and never leaves an aftertaste.
And I've been trying to get just the right pumpkin buttercream for a while now.
Tried last year and got nothing.
Adding pumpkin to frosting is tricky because the pumpkin is so moist.
What did I finally use?
Pumpkin butter from Trader Joe's! I'm still on that pumpkin butter kick.
It's just so versatile in baking to use in just about everything.
I have to brag here for a bit and tell you that this is the best buttercream I've ever made.
This pumpkin buttercream will have you craving for it.
I caught myself (and I've been really good all summer long with my eating right)
having a second slice of this JUST to slice off the frosting and devour it.
So good.
The cake is nice and buttery, has a nice light taste of pumpkin.
You know I hate over-pumkiney flavor in fall baking; too much nutmeg or pumpkin spice and
my stomach turns.
Trust me on this cake, you will love it, it will become one of your favorites too.
IMG_2071
IMG_2067
IMG_2075
Gone baby gone.
Cake didn't even have a chance of seeing Day 2 of it's existence!
IMG_3149

pumpkin cake with pumpkin frosting
recipe from vanillasugarblog.com

pumpkin cake:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened + more for greasing pan
1 ½  cups sugar
3 Tb pumpkin butter
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
¾ TB baking powder
¾ ts salt
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk

pumpkin buttercream:
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
¾ of a 1lb bag powdered sugar
3-4 TB pumpkin butter
giant pinch of sea salt
1-2 TB half & half (or whole milk)
¼ -1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, for garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter a 9 x 13 pan; line the bottom with parchment paper and/or grease up with butter. If you use parchment, make sure to butter that as well.

Into a medium bowl, sift together the flours, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until well combined, then add in the pumpkin butter.  Add in the eggs, one at a time until all is well combined.
Take your flour mixture and beat it in in 3 parts, alternating with three parts of the milk.  So add in one third of flour mixture, mix, then add in one third of the milk and mix.  Then repeat.
I had a couple of lumps left in batter, so that’s ok.  I hate to overbeat the batter.

Pour batter into prepared pan. 
Bake about 22-28 minutes.  It does bake up fast, so make sure to check at the 23 minute mark.
Let this cake cool completely before frosting.

To make the frosting, using an electric mixer,  mix all ingredients, adding in 1 tablespoon at a time the half & half.  You may not need the 2 TB of half & half, so just add in 1 TB at a time.
When cake is cooled, add on the frosting, then garnish with chopped walnuts or pecans.

I have no idea how long this cake lasts as it was gone in one day in my house. But I bet it would do well for a couple days, if nice and covered.

20 comments:

  1. Can I say it again? TJs needs to pay you to develop recipes for them! Another awesome pumpkin butter creation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumpkin Butter? Hmmm... GREG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin snack cakes are the best! Love the buttercream too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is making me drool, there is nothing better than a great snack cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must be reading my mind because I was just trying to figure out how to make pumpkin frosting work. Man I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving all things pumpkin right now, so I'm going to need a piece of this snack cake! The pumpkin butter is a great idea for using in the frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pumpkin on Pumpkin.
    Yum yum yum
    I'm so making your cake!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heavenly and totally irresistible!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am loving all this pumpkin on pumpkin action! And that buttercream recipe, swoons - it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my. Seriously, OH MY! I want this cake now. As in, RIGHT NOW!!! You never cease to make me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trader Joes pumpkin butter is awesome - love how you used it in your cake - which is GORGEOUS by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously delicious looking cake. I don't have any specific memories probably because I eat too much cake. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Came looking for your Friday post...found two nifty pumpkin recipes...am loving the pumpkin butter bark too. Really unusual, Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy...this looks SO good - love all the pumpkin recipes this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum this cake looks so simple and delicious! Love the idea of pumpkin butter in the icing. Too bad it's the beginning of Spring in Australia or I would make this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. neat frosting, dawn! i haven't gotten sick of your pumpkin recipes yet, and that's saying something! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. using pumpkin butter in the icing is such an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait to try this out. I am a dessert lover and am drooling over this recipe. Keep sharing such articles.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Get the best British food in the USA like biscuits, cookies, chocolates, candies, snacks, crisps, cakes, puddings and more. Visit our website for the variety of British food you can buy online.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This