9/22/14

pumpkin french toast w/ salted maple butter

So I wasn't going to post this, BUT when everyone saw it on my Instagram feed, I got a couple requests for it.
Sorry for the lack of photos, but I hadn't planned on using one of my breakfasts as a post.
I need to share more of what I make in everyday life; I have a bad habit of that.
I forget that you all like kicked up foods too, no matter how weird they might be...right?
Plus I'm with you when it comes to super easy meal making because I am lazy don't have a lot of time, and want to eat right now good tasting food fast.
Best part? Super easy to make.
Plus it's really tasty and kind of good for you too--right?
I mean there's real pumpkin in there too.
Oh!  Speaking of canned pumpkin, I spent a little bit more money and got a couple cans of
pumpkin puree from Whole Foods.
When I opened the can I was shocked at how bright and gorgeous the orange color of the pumpkin was.  I don't know if the pumpkin they use is better or what?
But it looked better and tasted better.
Yes, big difference in taste.
I know I'm the biggest fan of Whole Foods, but I'm telling you that canned pumpkin
(Whole Foods 365 brand) was tasty! Not watered down or bland tasting like some other brands.
So, if you're so inclined, try a can; and let me know if you notice a difference in taste.
IMG_6118
With this french toast, you can easily make the egg custard the night before, provided you cover it nice and air tight.
IMG_6126
IMG_6120
IMG_6114
The 'salted' maple butter just gives it an extra kick.
It's not overly salty, just pairs really nice with the pure maple syrup.
Any leftover maple butter is so good with pumpkin pancakes, bagels, toast, grilled cheese...endless possibilities!

pumpkin french toast with salted maple butter
print recipe

salted maple butter
1 stick (8 TB) of unsalted butter, room temp
1 TB pure maple syrup
1 ts of sea salt (this is optional, but wonderful)

Mix all ingredients until well blended. I used a hand held mixer. Then place in ceramic dish, cover
with plastic wrap, and place in fridge to harden a bit.
Or for fancy results place butter into plastic wrap and roll into a log, cover tight, place in fridge until it hardens. When ready to use just slice and use.
I used a small ice cream scoop to scoop out the butter--kind of fancy.

pumpkin french toast
4 eggs
1/2 cup plain pumpkin puree
3 to 5 dashes of pumpkin spice seasonings
2 to 3 dashes of cinnamon, optional
1/2 cup whole milk +2 TB heavy cream
about 9 to 11 slices of bread (oatmeal or sourdough works best)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, mix really well until you have a nice smooth custard.
If using next morning, store in airtight non-reactive bowl (use glass or ceramic) with cover.
When ready to use, let custard come to room temp a bit.
Dip both sides of each bread in custard and fry in a hot buttered frying pan.
Cook booth sides until desired doneness, serve with the salted maple
butter, and maple syrup.
The butter tastes so good you might not need the maple syrup.
Makes enough for 9 to 11 slices.

8 comments:

  1. SO SO glad you posted this - perfect fall brunch/breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes simple and comforting is best. Who could resist these morsels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping you'd post the recipe when I saw this on Instagram. It looks so good! I very rarely post the things I make to eat immediately too. I really want to eat my food when it's ready instead of setting up a photo shoot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds amazing! I rarely make French toast, but I really think that that needs to change!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always make recipes extra delicious. I love the fall flavors you added!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree that Whole Foods pumpkin is NOTICEABLY better than certain other brands. Ahem. I want pumpkin in my breakfast! Love this. Plus salted maple syrup = obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. there is a lot of goodness going through that huge stack of french toast! it might take me all morning to eat it, but that'd be okay. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! gorgeous i was daily use in the morning beacause i go to job and only eat only pumpkin french toast i am web designer at Webdesigners LLC.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This