8/17/14

homemade strawberry frozen yogurt

IMG_2534
Homemade frozen yogurt.
Who knew I'd be whipping up a batch or two?
Me, the ice cream junkie.
And here I am sharing it with you.
Not going to lie, this frozen yogurt was TASTY (never ever thought I'd say that, never been a fan
of frozen yogurt).
I am not one to order or even think of buying frozen yogurt--I mean yuck.
There are so many frozen yogurts that have either way too many chemicals and stabilizers in
there or they taste horrid, like flavored air.  Yeah flavored air.
And I never saw a frozen yogurt recipe I liked...until now.
I came across this recipe from The Neely's of the Food Network, reading through it I saw they used whole milk greek yogurt AND a hint of rum.
Nice.
Plus this recipe was easy--we all like easy.
IMG_2524
IMG_2511
You all know that frozen yogurt does not have the scooping abilities as ice cream--a bit harder to scoop.
With that said, don't try and use a non-fat yogurt, it will turn into ice milk, and not taste good.
IMG_2528
IMG_2531

strawberry frozen yogurt
from The Neely’s of Food Network
print recipe

4 cups strawberries, hulled and chopped
3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup and it was fine)
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon rum
1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise and seeds scraped
1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt (I used 1 1/4 cups)

cook notes:
I used a spiced rum Captain Morgans.
Do not try and use a non-fat or low fat yogurt--you
will have ice milk (unless you like that).
I used only a 1/2 cup of sugar; just felt the 3/4 cup
was too much. This is an excellent recipe--really good and solid.

A full 24 hours before you make your frozen yogurt, place your ice cream maker insert into the freezer.
Add strawberries, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and rum to a bowl and toss.
Cover with plastic wrap and let the strawberries macerate at room temperature for 1 hour.
Add the strawberries with their juices to a food processor.
Pulse the berries, and then add the vanilla beans seeds and yogurt. Continue to blend until smooth.
Place in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
Turn your ice cream machine on and pour in the chilled yogurt mixture. Churn until the mixture looks slushy like soft serve, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Place in the freezer for several hours until hard enough to scoop.
Makes about 1 quart.

9 comments:

  1. I used to be addicted to Häagen-Dazs frozen yogurt but I've gotten away from eating it. Homemade sounds pretty darn tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love fro yo! this looks great! i haven't tried making my own yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the lemon and rum in this! And, that pretty color. What a great pink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frozen yogurt can be fantastic. Most isn't alas, for whatever reason. Yours, though, looks wonderful. I mean, it includes rum! Our favorite secret ingredient in desserts. ;-) Good stuff -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I personally love fro-yo of all kinds...but homemade MUST be better than anything I can get in a store. Plus strawberries and real yogurt and rum. Can't beat that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is lovely! homemade frozen yogurt is a revelation to me, and i think the strawberry flavor and color are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i totally adore this recipe! homemade and fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i miss you awesome friday links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are back this Friday!
      sorry I missed it last week!
      :-)

      Delete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This