5/5/14

nutella pound cake

IMG_2383
Do you watch CreateTV on PBS?
Cooks Country show is on there (where this recipe comes from).
That is the show that is like America's Test Kitchen but just has a different name.
Wait is there another show just like ATK?  Wasn't there three of them?
There is Cooks Country, America's Test Kitchen from Cook's Illustrated and....?
CreateTV recently added Martha's Cooking School. I get so envious of Martha' kitchen on there; she has every pot and pan imaginable; an All Clad lovers dream to say the least!
IMG_2385
Whatever happened to GlobeTrekker? Do they still make new episodes? I loved that show.
Watching it truly made me want to drop everything, check out of life, and just travel.
This pound cake recipe is from America's Test Kitchen. To me, it really is the best pound cake recipe I've ever come across. The use of cake flour in the pound cake truly lends itself to a nice softer pound cake, not as hard and dense.
Of course it's great on its own, but I had a craving, a yearning to put a little nutella in there as well as some crunch. Keep this recipe handy for the summer, as this pound cake (plain) is fabulous with marinated strawberries or blueberries, and freshly whipped cream.
In the recipe they say to place cake in cold oven, I didn't do this, just plum forgot, and it came out fine.
A little puffy and uneven on the top, but with poundcake in a bundt pan you never see the top since it's inverted.
I added a nice layer of nutella to the middle along with some pecans. You can skip the nuts if you want to, but I used them to help keep the nutella from sinking.
IMG_4909
At this point, I know it would induce a sugar coma, but I was tempted to get a spoon and dig in.
IMG_2381
IMG_2393
Even if you don't want to use the nutella, save the pound cake base recipe for future uses, it's a really good recipe.  The cake flour makes all the difference in texture-taste wise.

nutella pound cake
pound cake base from Cook's Country
print recipe

3 cups cake flour
1/2 ts baking powder
1 ts salt
1 cup whole milk
2 ts pure vanilla extract
20 TB (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 large eggs

nutella filling:
about ½ cup nutella
couple handfuls of chopped pecans (or walnuts)

glaze:
½  cup powdered sugar
1 TB +/- whole milk or buttermilk

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position. Grease and flour 16-cup tube pan. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in bowl. Whisk milk and vanilla in measuring cup.
With electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until combined.
Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with 2 additions of milk mixture. Mix on low until smooth, about 30 seconds. Use rubber spatula to give batter final stir.
Pour half the batter into prepared pan and smooth top.
Sprinkle on a handful or two or chopped pecans, then using two spoons, place a layer of nutella around the entire middle.  Make sure not to let nutella go to the edges as it will leak onto the outside.
(I placed this in a preheated oven, 325 degrees and baked it for about 60-75 minutes.  They say to place in cold oven, then heat to 325 degrees; I forgot this step.)
Place cake in cold oven. Adjust oven temperature to 325 degrees and bake, without opening oven door, until cake is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 65 to 80 minutes.
Cool cake in pan for 20 minutes, then finish cooling on a wire rack.
Cool completely, about 2 hours.
If you want a glaze: just mix about ½ cup of powdered sugar with 1 TB of whole milk or buttermilk; whisk until smooth, and pour over bundt.

15 comments:

  1. That tunnel of Nutella looks crazy good! And yes, C.C. and ATK are basically the same show. I don't think there was a 3rd one and if there was, I'm spacing it out! I DVR all the back episodes. I love Christopher Kimball. So smart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Obsessed w America’s Test Kitchen and that other show that is exactly the same but has a different name.
    2. I love Nutella. I love Pound Cake.
    3. I’m so sad I missed you! Hope your eye’s feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm, you can't go wrong with nutella! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful pound cake! Very tempting. That chocolatty center is simply irresistible.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cooks country - they always have great recipes. I also love this cake... wishing we were neighbors so I could run over for a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shape of bundt cake! Never had one with a tunnel of Nutella, though. Great way to dress up a pound cake -- thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn, this cake is my dream-come-true! I don't know how I missed this post.
    This recipe is tops on my w/end to-do list. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mother-in-law made a nutella pound cake that was SO good...but there was so much nutella it all sank to the bottom. I'm gonna have to give this recipe a try. It looks so dense and delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. cooks country and america's test kitchen are probably my favorite shows. i haven't seen them make this but it looks outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous cake! I absolutely love the nutella filling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this looks incredible. perfect treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Martha's Cooking School and baking show too. Very informative. I've always been a huge Martha fan. She might have a fab kitchen but she doesn't have this delicious Nutella cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Somehow I didn't realize those were shows also...just thought they were magazines!! Obviously I am behind on the times. That nutella swirl is calling to me...

    ReplyDelete
  14. How delicious is this? It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This