7/7/13

strawberries 'n cream cookies

Strawberry season.
I long for it in the middle of winter and then in the middle of summer I long for pumpkin bread.
Go figure.
Those giant strawberries from Driscolls are the best in the world. The really big ones are so sweet, just like candy
I've always wanted to make a cookie with strawberries.
Fresh strawberries, not dried or frozen, but fresh to see if it would make the cookie too soggy.
It didn't!
The key is to really chop the strawberries small, and then pat them dry (two times) with paper towels.
Get as much liquid as you can out of the berries.
IMG_2456 (1)
These are good. Light tasting, soft cookie, with some chewiness.
The next batch I want to work on making them crispy.
I also highly suggest adding white chocolate chips to these--I know this would be a great addition.
IMG_2454
IMG_2457 (1)
IMG_2468
Important step! Don't want soggy cookies.
IMG_2429
Cover and chill in fridge at least 3 hours or longer (overnight might be too long).
IMG_2465
IMG_2456
IMG_2455
Blueberries might work too! I bet pineapple would taste amazing.

strawberries & cream cookies

2 cups plus 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
½ ts baking soda
¾ ts salt
12 TB unsalted butter, room temp
8 oz. cream cheese softened
¾ cup light brown sugar, not packed
½ cup granulated sugar
1 ts vanilla extract
¾ cup of chopped (small) strawberries (that have been patted dry)

Make sure to take the chopped strawberries and pat them dry (2 times) with paper towels to get as much moisture out of strawberries as possible. Set aside.
Whisk all dry ingredients together; set aside.
Cream the butter and cream cheese together with a mixer until smooth. Add in both sugars and beat until thoroughly combined, add in the vanilla extract, mix again.
Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, and by hand add in the strawberries.
Cover dough well with plastic wrap and chill in fridge for at least 3 -6 hours.
When ready to bake cookies preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Using a medium or small cookie (or ice cream scoop), drop dough onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake for 12-16 minutes or until edges are set and bottoms are golden brown.
Mine were done at the 15-minute mark.
The cookies will be soft and hard to move, please let them set up on baking sheet.
Cool cookies on sheets until able to lift without breaking and place on wire rack to cool.
I got about 18-20 cookies using a medium ice cream scoop;
You might get more cookies if you use a smaller ice cream scoop.



15 comments:

  1. They sound great, Dawn! Love the cream cheese in them. =)

    You are right on about the white chocolate--and now I want them to have just a hint of lemon zest, too...

    More experimenting and more yummy cookies for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean cream cheese cookies with choc chips 2 weeks ago - I LOVE that you used berries AND a full 8 oz of cream cheese! I love that you worked in all those berries, too! It can be so hard baking with fresh fruit (so juicy) but you nailed these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm! Like a fruity sugar cookie. Love the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How's the humidity treating you up there Dawn! Ha Ha.
    The strawberries at the local fruiterie stand are pure local, and so ripe that their shelf life is maybe a DAY if lucky. I would like to try and make these if there are any left over from my strawberry sorbet fun.
    I miss commenting on this blog. Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes to cream cheese and strawberries!! You could call these Strawberries & Cream cookies - or Wimbledon cookies. :D Whatever, they look fabulous. (I crave off season produce all the time.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that or dip them in white chocolate... or sanwhich two over some white chocolate whipped cream... :) yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I haven't started craving pumpkin bread YET but give me a few weeks! These are the ultimate celebration of strawberries and summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! And, I have a pint of frozen strawberries in the freezer as we speak, and now I know just what to do with them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cookies look so good I want to grab one through the screen! I made strawberry shortcake cookies with fresh strawberries once and was surprised at how delicious they were so I know these would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yep, the trouble with strawberries is that they juice all over the place whilst baking. you've found a way past that though, and your cookies look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome recipe Dawn. Adding white chocolate chips is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i am a big fan of this idea! but i typically eat all my strawberries before baking with them, they are just so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet these cookies taste wonderful. They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Strawberry n cream cookies sound so good! I was wondering if you could use fresh strawberries in cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Using strawberries in cookies is something I've always wondered about too! These look amazing, I'm all for more ideas for strawberry desserts!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This