6/24/13

brookie bars

Have you heard of the brookie?
A brownie layer, a cookie layer all rolled into one cookie?
There are a couples variations of it, I wanted to try my own spin on it.
After having found the best chocolate chip cookie ever--the jacques torres cookies; I wanted to use those as a base and then the top layer I figure why not try jacques torres famous brownie recipe.
The brookie does the brownie on the bottom and the cookie on the top and molds them into cookies.
I didn't have those molds so I used a pan.
I put the cookie on the bottom because it can hold the heat better and the brownies on top since they are a bit more delicate.
If you like fudgy brownies then this recipe is for you.
This is a really good brownie recipe all on its own, fudgy middle and crisp top--perfect combo!
IMG_2402
IMG_2400
IMG_2386
Fairly easy to make.  Just make the cookie base and refrigerate (as per instructions) for a couple days.
When ready to bake, just make the brownie batter.
IMG_2399
IMG_2410
A few thoughts: I did not add nuts to the brownie batter, and after tasting it, it really did need that "texture".  And of course feel free to use your own brownie recipe too.  Just make sure you have enough batter for a 9x13 pan--this is what the cookie dough batter needs.  Also, there was a bit of extra brownie batter left over; I used a mini loaf pan and baked off the rest.


Brookie bars
both recipes from Jacques Torres

Cook notes:  In the brownie recipe, there is no place where it says to add in the flour mixture to the mixer, so I added it in below. Very strange.  But I think I nailed it.
I did not add nuts to the brownie batter, and after tasting it; it really did need that "texture".  And of course feel free to use your own brownie recipe too.  Just make sure you have enough batter for a 9x13 pan--this is what the cookie dough batter needs.  Also, there was a bit of extra brownie batter left over; I used a mini loaf pan and baked off the rest (about  20-30 minutes baking time for a mini loaf pan)

For the brookies:
mix up the chocolate chip cookie recipe (below), cover, and chill in fridge for a day or a couple days.
When ready to make brookies bars, make the brownie batter (below).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray a 9x13 baking pan with non stick spray.
Layer down the cookie dough batter, making sure to get in all the corners.
Then place the brownie batter on top, smooth it out. 
Bake for about 45-55 minutes. 
The brownies are fudgy-like so it will be a little loose still after about 45 minutes of baking.  How to know they are done when the jiggle in the middle of the batter should be gone.  Please check at the 45-minute mark.
These need to cool completely before slicing.  To help them set up, I placed in the fridge for about an hour. 

Chocolate Chip Cookies
from Jacques Torres

2 cups minus 2 TB (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour
1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour
1 1/4 ts baking soda
1 1/2 ts baking powder
1 1/2 ts coarse salt
2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 TB (8 ounces) granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 ts natural vanilla extract
1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate disks at least 60 percent cacao content

Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes.
Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla.
Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds.
Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them.
Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours.

Jacques Torres’s brownies

12 ounces 72-percent chocolate, chopped
¼ cup Dutch processed cocoa powder
1¾ cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1½ teaspoons salt
1½ cups (three sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3 cups sugar
6 large eggs, room temperature
10½ ounces 60-percent chocolate, chopped
2⅔ cups walnuts, toasted and chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Line a 15½×10½×1-inch baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat, or lightly spray it with nonstick vegetable spray.

Place the 72-percent chocolate in the top half of a double boiler and stir occasionally until completely melted. Remove from the heat and beat in the cocoa powder until well blended. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle, beat the butter on low until softened.
Raise the speed to medium and beat for about three minutes, until creamy.
Add the sugar and continue beating for about four minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition until incorporated.
Add the chocolate mixture and beat just until incorporated.
Then add in the flour mixture and mix till just combined.
Remove the bowl from the mixer and, using a rubber spatula, fold in the 60-percent chocolate and the nuts.

Scrape the batter into the prepared pan, lightly smoothing the top with the spatula.

17 comments:

  1. Whenever I see brownies and cookies on a dessert platter I can never choose which one I want...I think everyone should make brookies instead from now one so you can get both in every bite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truth be told...I don't like brownies. To me they're just kind of...meh. Can I just have all cookie? haha yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, brookies!! I've never made them per se, but I've made a bar that is part brownie, part cake batter blondie, so I think that might count?

    ReplyDelete
  4. O-M-G!!! These sound just incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I ever have a son (or daughter) I'm naming them Brookie. These things look delectable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa - two birds with one stone, and then some! I am loving these. If you can't choose between cookies and brownies, have them both :) My kinda recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two of my favorites, all rolled into one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the kind of treat I'd keep tasting as I cut it into bars … just to make sure they are good ;) Great idea to turn brookies into bars and so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this sounds so intense, and absolutely awesome :) of course you went and did it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. killer combination, dawn! i love it when brownies crackle on top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Double the pleasure! These brookies are on my must try list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i've made brookie cookies before, but the bars are genius!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love brookies, they're my favorite thing to pick at the local bakery, but I've never made them yet. These look gorgeous, totally changing the fact very soon

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This