5/22/13

espresso butter creams

IMG_2208
I love going to those mom & pop candy stores where almost all the candies are homemade.
Antique glass display cases, creaky wooden floors, stuffed animals sitting next to candy gift packs...the smell of sugar permeates through the air.
The butter creams, the cordials, even the peanut butter cups are all homemade and usually hand dipped too.
First thing I love to try is the peanut butter cups; some places nail the flavor spot on and others add too much sugar and the peanut flavor/texture is lost.
I find the same scenario with butter creams; they are always so sweet, too sweet to even detect what the actual flavor is. 
I've always wanted to try making my own butter creams.  And it was my first time using one of those plastic candy molds from Wiltons.  Sorry to say, I was not impressed by the plastic candy molds.
I tried everything to get the candies out of said mold: in the fridge, in the freezer, banging, in dip in hot water, etc....Someone mentioned to try using silicone molds next time. And I will.   
All of the candies I've made in the past I usually roll by hand and dip myself.  But this time I needed a mold to hold the butter cream because the butter cream is well, not rollable!
If you do want to make these and are comfortable using plastic candy molds then perfect.
If you want a suggestion or two: trying using a silicone mold or use those small candy paper cups (like the mini Reeses peanut butter paper cups) those should work perfectly!
IMG_2211
If you like the taste of buttery espresso then you'll love these. They are rich and tasty and definitely not overly sweet like an ordinary butter cream might be.
IMG_2215
IMG_2205
Make sure to gently tap the molds when you put the final layer of chocolate on; you want to make sure the chocolate gets evenly coated all around.
IMG_1775
Really hard to remove!  Banging them out finally worked!
IMG_1771
With all the work was it worth it?  Yes, they are tasty!  Next time mini paper candy cups!
espresso butter creams

7 ounces sweetened condensed milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1 Starbucks Via (I used the blonde roast) OR use 1-2 ts espresso powder
giant pinch of sea salt
3 TB unsalted butter, very soft

for the chocolate coating:
(I used half bitter sweet, half semi sweet chips; use what you like but I do not recommend milk chocolate as its too sweet)
7 ounces of bitter sweet
7 ounces semi sweet
½ TB vegetable oil

In a medium bowl mix the condensed milk, 2 cups of powdered sugar, salt, and espresso.  Mix by hand or with a mixer. When mixed then add in the very soft butter and mix well.  You want a nice sooth consistency.  Give it a taste and see if it needs more salt or espresso. 
Cover the top with plastic wrap and place in fridge to firm up a bit; a few hours or overnight.
When ready to use you can either use candy molds, mini paper cups or silicone molds.  You can try rolling balls on your own, but I found the candy dough to be too loose.
Place chocolate chips with the vegetable oil in a microwavable bowl, give it a good mix and then microwave in 10 second spurts till melted.  Making sure to stir each time after 10 seconds.  Or you can temper the chocolate how you like best.
Since this time I used the candy molds, I coated the bottom and sides of each mold with chocolate, let it harden, then added in little globs of the espresso, place in fridge for 20 minutes, then filled the molds with chocolate, tapping as I go along to make sure the chocolate is evenly disbursed.
Then back into fridge to set up.
I made about 56 candy pieces using these molds; if you use mini paper cups I imagine you might get about 40-50?

18 comments:

  1. These sound absolutely delightful! And I agree- Mom and Pop stores with homemade candies= amazing! Best sugary treats ever

    ReplyDelete
  2. never been a fan of buttercreams... because they were too sweet. i bet these would be a winner though :)

    ps- got my first (pink!) coconut water from my winnings! delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, I could totally eat these ALL day long!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried spraying the mold first with Pam? It works on my mini-muffin tin when I make mini Reese's cups.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same truffle mold, but used it only for homemade sugar "cubes."
    These espresso buttercreams are on my to-do list for this w/end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these looks so amazing! I need to go get one of those molds ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look wonderful and thanks for all the helpful tidbits and tricks! I love sweetened cond milk and know I'd love these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Finally a use for those Starbucks vias! And I'm glad you persevered with the molds, these look so shiny and perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good lord! Chocolate with a creamy espresso center - I'm totally in! They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Making my own chocolates is somethign I always kind of want to do but never really think I CAN do...you've totally inspired me! i love that you can actually taste the flavor of the buttercream in this! A major step up from anything one could buy in a store!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look so good! I love using coffee/espresso with chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG, these look INCREDIBLE! Wow! So pretty and they look really delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never attempted to make my own chocolates, but these are drool worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I drop by to catch up and end up spending waaaaay too much time drooling. Love those lemon crunch bars and BTW: I made your banana crumb cake/bars...divine. Will post them soon.
    Never have made candy aside from the stuff with kids, fudge, lollipops etc + truffles. Wonder if I would make a total mess of these?

    ReplyDelete
  15. So wish we had candy shops like that around here. I love candy! I had never heard of buttercreams but they certainly look tasty. The chocolate is so shiny and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. bravo, dawn! i rarely summon up the tenacity to make my own chocolate and candies, but these are quite glorious. espresso powder is magical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These sound infinitely better than something that would come in a Whitman's box.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We wanted to pick them up from our computer screen! These looks awesome! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This