1/6/13

vanilla sandwich cookies w/ spiced rum buttercream

After my creation of double chocolate-mint filled Oreo's, I've wanted to do a "vanilla" version.
But to be honest, vanilla was just so boring.
I had to spice it up a bit.
Not wanting to mess with the vanilla cookie, I thought about adding peanut butter or maybe a spicy-savory version to the filling.
Seriously?
Nothing was jumping out at me to use until literally the bottle of captain morgan's spiced rum fell out of the cabinet and into my hands.  
Knowing how good this is with Coke, with root beer, somehow someway the food creations memory cells kicked in and said 'use this in your vanilla sandwich cookie'.
Pretty cool right?  I just love when ideas like that happen.
This filling, do I even need to stress to you how 'crack-like' addicting this taste is?
The spiced rum, mixed with the creamy butter, salt, and the sugar---serious flavor combination.
This spiced rum buttercream is going on a cake next!
Expect that recipe soon!
IMG_1184
Are these crunchy like the double chocolate mint Oreo's I made?
No, not as crunchy.
BUT, I am fairly certain that if you slice the cookie dough very thin (the opposite of what I did--see photos below) you should be able to get them crunchier.
IMG_1181
IMG_1174
If you don't want to use alcohol what is a good substitution 
Can I just stress to you that the spiced rum is what makes this cookie amazing?
But if you had to, I guess you could try a splash of butter extract and a splash of root beer?
IMG_1185
IMG_1129
Yeah my rolling bites here.
Please do better than I did, for I had to re-roll the cookies.
IMG_1167
See?  They were not round.  So I had to re-roll each slice into a ball, then gently press down.
So next time, remember to roll a nice ROUND log, wrap in plastic wrap, chill, then slice with a very sharp knife.
And as I stated before, the thinner the slice, the crispier the cookie.
IMG_1170
IMG_1171
IMG_1181

vanilla sandwich cookies with spiced rum buttercream
vanilla cookies
2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 ts cornstarch
¼  ts baking powder
½  ts baking soda
½  ts salt
1 cup unsalted butter, room temp
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 egg yolks, room temp
2 ts pure vanilla extract

spiced rum filling
8 TB unsalted butter, room temp
1 cup + confectioners' sugar (might need a bit more)
giant pinch of salt
1 oversized Tablespoon of “Spiced Rum” (captain morgans has the best flavor)

Cook Notes: 
I’ve found the thinner you slice your cookie dough the crispier you can get your cookies.  This will lend itself to an almost vanilla Oreo cookie-like texture.  Of course the thicker the cookie the less crunchy; so do what you feel is best.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
In the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together on med-high until well mixed.
Add in 2 egg yolks and vanilla extract and mix.
Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
Add the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined.  Please do not overmix.
Scrape the cookie dough out onto a very lightly floured surface.
Form it into a two long logs.  Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight.  I find that once the log is wrapped its easier to form it into a more even log by rolling it back and forth as if it were a rolling pin.  Get it as uniform as you can since we will be using this to slice out round cookies.
When ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Remove one log of cookie dough from the fridge, place on lightly floured wooden board, and using a sharp knife slice cookies as thin as you can get them.  Place on cookie sheet about two inches apart.  If your cookies slices didn’t come out as thin or round as you like, then do what I did (see photo above) and roll into ball and gently press down into circle.
Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes, or until they have puffed and the tops look set. Remove the sheets from the oven and allow the cookies to rest for about 8 minutes before transferring them to cooling rack.  Cool completely before adding the filling.

For the filling:
Using a hand mixer or stand mixer mix all ingredients until well combined.
Do a taste test and see if it needs more salt or rum.  Chances are it won’t.
Using a plastic bag with edge snipped off or a pastry bag, place filling in bag and pipe onto cookies.
I don’t remember how many these made, sorry, but I think it was 20-25 sandwich cookies.  I know there was enough filling for all. 

16 comments:

  1. You had me at spiced buttercream!! Great creation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better than the original. Today I saw a chocolate bark for Easter that used white Oreos. Thinking ahead:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Drool* These look incredible! They're picture-perfect, and I can only imagine how delicious they are. Store-bought could never compare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made sugar cookies today and I'm pretty sure I now HAVE TO go make a batch of that spiced rum buttercream & sandwich it in there...oh that sounds so good. Your commentary about 'please do a better job of rolling' cracks me up but I think you did a great job regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see a recipe for Golden Oreos! Love that you spiced them up and love that they can be as crunchy as you want :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, I think I would like these soft. And I love they booze....heyyyyyyy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have moments where I accidentally glance at something in the kitchen and it's a total WOW moment...but those are few and far-between. :P I'm so glad that rum fell into your hands! It really is ideal in this buttercream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, they look amazing! I'm all about that spiced rum filling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The spiced rum filling sounds amazing, but the first thing I thought of filling them with was the cookie butter. My husband was eating it from the jar tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. spiced rum buttercream?? umm, sold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those look ever so irresistable! What a great buttercream flavor.

    Best wishes for 2013!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. meh, thin cookies are for wimps--i like mine fat and cakey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super fab. I have a huge bottle of spiced rum that I haven't opened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to make those! I keep marking recipes for sandwich cookies lately... so, it must mean I'm going to just dig in and make them soon! Yours look too good to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bet that Pink Pigeon rum would work really well here, the bourbon vanilla flavour would work with the cookies perfectly

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This