3/12/12

peanut butter cookie crusted brownies

IMG_0093

Pet peeve #307 Soggy bottom brownies.
You know those brownies with that nice crisp layer on top, then a disappointing soggy bottom? Oh I hate those. I need to have a crispy top, crispy bottom, with a semi-gooey/fudgy center in my brownies. Is that why the end pieces of brownies are so popular? Because they have both crispy top and bottom AND sides? Probably.
Well, if you're like me, I have solved this problem. Use an almost or completely flouress cookie dough--this should yield a nice crisp bottom. Makes all the difference in the world.

This Baked brownie mix is hands down one of my favorites. It's like a high-quality chocolate bar. Well, in essence it is since it has chocolate from Guittard and Callebaut in there. If you're going to have a brownie have one that has high quality cocoa in there--better taste wise and mood wise (higher quality chocolate really does improve your mood).
Have you tried this brownie mix from Baked yet? You really should. To be honest, I was kind of blown away at how rich, dense, and fuggy it tasted since it comes from a box. I truly thought it would be just another boxed brownie mix; one naturally assume when it comes from a mix it's going to be OK.
I was so dead wrong. This mix literally tastes like those fancy brownies that take a while to make--you know the ones you see on food network or PBS that have a 1000 steps?
Very easy to make. All you have to do is add butter and eggs.
Picnik collage45

I've always wanted to create a cookie/brownie mix. And for me, peanut butter and brownie go so well together, why not put them together. Sure you've seen this combo before, but this one really tastes good as we used a lower flour peanut butter cookie--just like my "almost flourless" pb cookies.

If you want to try these brownie mixes, (deep dark chocolate, blondie, and peanut butter), head over to Williams Sonoma.

IMG_0080

IMG_0087

IMG_0085

I think we all should convince the Baked guys to offer up a giveaway for these fabulous brownie mixes? Don't you? Tell me and I'll tell them.

peanut butter cookie crusted brownies
print recipe

for the peanut butter cookie base:
3 cup all-natural chunky or smooth peanut butter (not too oily though, drain some out)
1 ½ cups + 2 TB dark brown sugar (not packed)
3 eggs
2 ts baking soda
6 TB flour
1 ¼ ts sea salt

for the brownie base:
1 mix of Baked deep dark brownie mix (or your own favorite brownie mix; enough for a 9x13 pan)

For the pb cookie base:
In a small bowl add the flour, baking soda and salt; and mix, set aside.
In a mixer or by hand, combine peanut butter and sugar until well combined.
Crack open eggs in a small bowl and beat.
Add egg to the cookie mixture, then add in the flour mixture, by sprinkling it over the cookie dough, not just depositing it in one large dump. Mix till combined.

Grease up a 9 X 13 inch pan; using either Pam nonstick spray or butter and flour method. Press the peanut butter dough mixture into pan, making sure to get all the corners as well. Place in fridge and chill, until ready to use.

for the Baked brownie mix:
Follow mixing instructions as stated on the back of the box.

When the brownie batter mix is mixed and you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Take out the peanut butter pan from fridge, and pour the brownie mixture on top. Smooth out batter, evenly, over the top, making sure to get the corners. Gently tap the pan to remove any air. Bake in oven for about 55-65 minutes; making sure to rotate pan a few times during baking. If you don’t want fudgy brownies, you can bake a couple minutes longer.
The brownies will be fudgy, dense, thick and a bit gooey; this is good. Look for a nice crisp/crusty top on the brownies. Inserting a cake tester in middle, will yield a few small crumbs, not complete dough.
You need to cool brownies in pan for at least 45 minutes, then transfer to fridge to help set up the brownies. I left the pan in the fridge for about an hour.
Using a sharp knife, loosen edges and slide out mixture onto wooden board. Cut into squares. Should yield about 24+ squares, depending on how you cut them.

24 comments:

  1. omg heavenly!!!

    two of my fave things in one...not only cookies, but PB cookies AND not only brownies, FUDGY brownies.

    Great review of that boxed mix. My brownie making method from scratch is down to a 3 min heat in micro, stir in, pour in pan, science...but I am always game to try things like that one that you so highly endorse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never even seen that brownie mix. Where on earth would I find it? These look outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peanut butter and chocolate IS the perfect combo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omgosh-brilliant! I actually only love the crunchy parts, so i take all of the edges :) luckily, josh prefers the soft part

    ReplyDelete
  5. The brownie mix from Williams an Sonoma does sound amazing and with the addition of a pent butter cookie bottom I am sold, not that I needed to be convinced.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a fan of soggy bottom brownies either... these look AMAZING! Seriously, I wish I had one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PB + Cookies + brownie = AWESOME!!!!
    My nephew is going to love these...
    Love&Light
    MArgherita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Words fail to express how amazing these look to me right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i gotta get my hands on that mix!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh heavens. i need to be one of your tasters some day. holy moly, i'm going to be dreaming of these!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, I've never really thought about the bottom part of the brownie. I am more concerned with dry/cakey vs. thick and fudgy. However, I love the textures you've got going on here. Now that I will be closer, will you send me some?? haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know...this might just have to be my post half-marathon dessert on Sunday. If I can find that brownie mix in time...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, these look amazing. I totally hear you on the soggy-bottom brownies! I love that these have a nice solid cookie crust. And peanut butter? Get outta town!

    ReplyDelete
  14. omg. Love. I would like some now, please. And I just had a 1/2 bagel w/PB for breakfast - so I should have met my full on PB quota. But yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great combination! And I love the Baked cookbooks but did not even know they made mixes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. soggy bottoms are never good, whether your experiencing them personally or partaking of them in something edible. these are awesome brownies, dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow. I don't usually like the look of desserts with peanut butter (except for peanut butter cups) but these looks out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I normally only eat the corner and edge pieces so this sounds like heaven to me! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG, can I have a few wedges of that devilish treat?! I'm drooling now...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those look so good! I just can't get enough of the pb and chocolate combo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. well, i'm with you on not liking soggy bottom brownies. i'm not a fan of soggy bottom anything, actually. and, what pretty packaging they have. they've taken brownie mix to another level. they look ridiculously rico!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like I need to make a trip to WS!! Love the pb & chocolate combination - I can never get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  23. And now I am CRYYYYING (ok, not really) missing America. Because of the peanut butter withdrawal. Every time my family sends Reese's PB cups they melt in the mail. : ( But they are, like, eight euros for a tiny package here.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This