6/23/11

blueberry-creme fraiche loaf

blueberry-creme fraiche loaf

Can we make another food "holy trinity"? A fruit themed one? Blueberries, lemon zest, and creme fraiche? Those three in a loaf are just so luxurious--so perfect together. No spring or summer is complete without making a few batches of blueberry loaves with these ingredients in them. Of course you could use sour cream or yogurt. I love to indulge in creme fraiche once in a while--it just makes cakes and loaves so rich and creamy. And I swear a blueberry loaf the next day tastes even better.
And if you love blueberry cake recipes make sure to give my blueberry cake recipe a go. It is fabulous and is always being requested by my friends.

blueberry-creme fraiche loaf

This recipe I found used a frosting on the top. I did not use it, but opted for using a nice "crunch" topping. I love when cakes or muffins have a texture-like topping--a crunch. Make sure to read my cook notes before making this. Can you use another berry in this? Of course. Blackberries would be fabulous in this; strawberries too, if you cut them small enough.

Blueberry-crème fraiche loaf
print recipe
recipe adapted from bbcgoodfood.com

175g soft butter (3/4 cup plus 1 TB)
175g golden caster sugar (3/4 cup plus 1 TB; I used turbinado sugar and ran it through the processor)
3 large eggs
225g self-raising flour (I used 1 & ½ cups of self rising flour)
1 & ½ tsp baking powder
(I used a pinch of salt)
2 tsp vanilla extract (if you use lemon zest only use 1 tsp of extract)
142ml carton soured cream (I used crème fraiche “almost” 5 ounces)
3 x 125g blueberries (I used almost 1 & ½ cups)

Cook notes: Since I did not make the frosting that goes with this, instead I opted for a sugar crunch on the top. So halfway thru cooking time I sprinkled raw/coarse sugar on the top for that “crunch”. For the pan, I did not use a cake pan but used a large loaf pan instead. If you use a loaf pan you may have a bit of batter leftover, so you can use remainder to make muffins or a couple mini loaves. An after thought, I should have used a few teaspoons of fresh lemon zest. Golden caster sugar is an “almost” light brown sugar; it’s very light light brown. If you can’t find it, try using turbinado sugar and run it thru the processor to get it nice and fine. Or you could use superfine sugar.

Preheat the oven 350 degrees.
Spray or butter a 9-inch cake cake or a large size loaf pan.
Put the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and vanilla in a bowl. Beat with a wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes, or with a hand electric beater for 1-2 minutes, until lighter in color and well mixed.
Beat in crème fraiche, then stir in half the blueberries with a large spoon.
Tip the mixture into the tin and spread it level. (Halfway thru cooking sprinkle raw/coarse sugar on the top.) Bake for 50 minutes until it is risen, feels firm to the touch and springs back when lightly pressed.
Cool for 10 minutes, then take out of the tin and peel off the paper or lining. Leave to finish cooling on a wire rack.

30 comments:

  1. This sounds decadent and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm honestly not sure I've ever had creme fraiche- but the loaf looks totally gorgeous. Berries are just amazing right now. Makes me wish it was always summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple, maybe, but man I could definitely dig into that! Looks amazing:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the crunchy sugar topping and the addition of creme fraiche to the cake. I still have a lot of blueberries to use up so I will be trying this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I haven't eaten enough creme fraiche when I can't even fathom how delicious this must be. A grocery trip is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, i'm loving that crunch. and i trust you, and now i'm craving that trinity :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cake looks great. In addition to being the holy trinity it also looks perfect for picnics. That is, if this weather ever clears up...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you believe I've never bought creme fraiche? I need to so I can make this awesome cake. I freaking love blueberries and lemons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice~Looking forward to trying this recipe very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A delicious cake! Anything with blueberries and crème fraîche gets my vote.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a colorful loaf.....this looks delicious and I love the flavor combination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to give this a try! You rock sista!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanted to make this right now. Too bad I have to go shopping for blueberries first! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had me at blueberries and lemon zest. MY favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blueberries are in season here now, so I have an abundance of them. This lovely loaf looks like the perfect way to use some of them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can not get enough blueberry desserts right now; especially ones I can justify as breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! I miss dropping by here,Dawn..

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is on my list for next weekend, if I can even wait that long!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet, simple, easy and delicious. This is my kinda treat.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so good. I cant wait to go pick blueberries!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks absolutely delicious! Holy trinity indeed! Love the crème fraiche in there! Dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i'm definitely on board for making that combo a new holy trinity. i always thought there should be a sweet version anyway. lovely loaf, dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'll call that a holy trinity any day. It looks so moist and it certainly does not need a frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks great. I'm loving blueberries right now so I'll definitely give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  26. YES. I have so many blueberries and I'm running out of ideas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This