7/29/10

tomato, cheddar and walnut salad


I hate to sound like a broken record but I still am not cooking or baking. I mean cooking is down to the bare minimum if I can handle that. The humidity this summer in the NE is fierce! Every summer I love making my famous tomato pie, but I just can't turn that oven on lately. To satisfy my tomato pie craving I made a fabulous tomato salad filled with sharp cheddar, crispy walnuts, and a hint of dill (although I think tarragon might be interesting next time).
Something about tomatoes and cheese; they are the perfect pairing aren't they?


Cook Notes: the next time I make this I will use a hearty 12-grain bread, it went ok with the sourdough roll, but it really would pair better with nice, texture grain bread. Adding some fresh tarragon might be interesting next time too. The dill was good, but don't add in too much.

tomato, cheddar & walnut salad
print recipe

(no measurements added, since you can add as much or as little as you like)
ripe heirloom tomatoes, chopped 1-inch pieces
sharp white cheddar, chopped 1-inch pieces
toasted walnuts
hellman's mayo
fresh ground pepper (salt is really not needed)
fresh dill or tarragon (not too much)

Mix all together, refridgerate a bit then serve on your favorite bread or over lettuce.

28 comments:

  1. Our tomatoes started turning red this week! I am in heaven. I will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que cosa tan deliciosa, de verdad, dan ganas de coger un bocado. Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there an ingredient missing?
    What is the creamy element?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a dressing on this salad? It looks so creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel your pain girl. It's just too damn hot. I even break a sweat washigng the dishes with really warm water. So this looks perfect to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! great flavor combination--perfect for summer nights. i'm anti-cooking right now too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i know, i know... the weather. we get one day of relief and then right back to killer heat. i'm all about the no-cook options right now too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cold salads & sandwiches are perfect for right now- especially when they involve beautiful/fresh summer tomatoes. Great meal! I hope you're doing well- stay cool

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there mayo in the salad too? Sounds like an interesting combo. I love tomato and cheese sandwiches. Why not add some walnuts?

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's so hot here in CA. Something like that would be absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you. I can't bear to turn on the stove or oven.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tomatoes and mayo -- a perfect summer indulgence. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am always looking for ways to beat the heat..today I hit the beach but now it's time to get some dinner on the table.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! I think the tarragon would be an excellent addition, just not too much as it can easily overpower. This sounds perfect for your humidity plagued days.

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great twist on a tomato sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks so good, I wished I liked tomatoes :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. i LOVE a tomato sandwich--quick and refreshing and EASY. the added bits of toasted walnuts are a great touch. phenomenal combo, dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A nice modern take on the old fashioned tomato and mayo summer sandwich I grew up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. perfect summer sandwich!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like the textures involved, and let's not forget the FLAVORS!!
    Very Nice:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome idea for tomatoes! I also have not yet indulged in the tomato pie... If it doesn't cool off soon what will we do??? My daughters and I luv your blog - we included you on a list of blogs we just discovered that we want to recommend! Thanx for a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love fresh dill! This looks so creamy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks very tasty - and like it would be a nice substantial lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love that you made a sandwich out of it! Totally delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your food blog is amazing! Great pictures and even better food ideas! You have a new fan!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cold sandwich sounds great right now in this heat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful way to do tomatoes. Very refreshing. The tarragon would be a nice add too, but like dill, too much can be overpowering. Looks like a great salad though.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm going to so slow roasted tomatoes tonight and i can imagine tasting so good in this salad you've made.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This