1/6/09

cheesy chicken & veggie soup

cheesy chicken & veggie soup

Do you have a bunch of leftover chicken or turkey or even veggies you need to use up? Want to get your kids or hubby to eat more veggies? Want something nice and hot to warm your bones? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then do I have the answer for you....
Ha ha, don't I sound like a TV commercial, selling the latest and greatest chopping gadget for only $9.99?
But seriously, this cheesy soup is super easy to make, very versatile when adding any type of leftovers, and I swear your kids might just love it. If my over-the-moon fussy hubby eats it--veggies and all, then so will your fussy kids. The best part I love is you can add whatever veggies you have from the ice age in your freezer and chopped leftover chicken or turkey (never tried roast beef, but hey, I bet it might work too).
I was just frozen today, pretty much all day. No amount of hot tea was going to warm my cold bones up. I wanted a hearty, warms you to your bones, soup. This is it for me. Yeah, plus I had a bunch of leftover roasted chicken that I needed to use up too. Leftover potatoes would be wonderful in this too. See, just about anything can go in this cheesy soup.
This time around I added in leftover broccoli, corn and leftover roasted chicken. Wouldn't it be great to add this soup to a hollowed out bread to use as a bread bowl?

Cheesy Chicken & Veggie Soup

2 TB butter
2 TB of extra virgin olive oil
1 medium sweet onion, chopped
2 cups cooked chicken breasts, grilled is even better
1 cup frozen peas, corn & carrots veggie mix, or whatever you crave
8 oz Philadelphia cream cheese
1 can (14.75oz) creamed corn
1 cup milk
2+ tsp. of chicken bouillon cube, chopped fine (add as much or as little)
Couple dashes of black pepper
1 cup of mozzarella cheese
Chopped fresh parsley as garnish, optional

Melt butter and olive oil in a saucepan and add onions. Slightly brown the onions.
Remove onions to plate. Then stir fry the chicken breast slices till fully cooked. (or you can grill the chicken, cut it up into cubes).
Add veggie mix, then add the cooked onions back in. Stir together, then add in the cream cheese, stir until the cheese is melted. Add in the creamed corn and milk; sprinkle in the chopped chicken bouillon. Stir well to mix and bring to just boiling, turn off heat, and stir in the mozzarella and some black pepper. Taste test to see if you need more chicken bouillon or salt. Serve with crusty, warm bread.

Serves 4 (depending on portion size)

Note: I like my soup very thick. If you don’t want it thick then add a couple dashes of water or more milk to thin it out. The next time I make this I will be adding chunks of cooked, cubed potato.

26 comments:

  1. Yes, I love dipping bread in soup! I was just doing that tonight. Italian bread in my lentil soup :)
    Your soup is something my bloke would love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bread dipping and thick soup is a match made in heaven... too bad i put hummus on mine tonight! still delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhhhh, that would be to die for in a sourdough bread bowl. Yum!

    And, seriously, when are you putting together a cookbook? With your new camera, you totally could. And should. I'd by it in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had a snack and now I am hungry. Possibly because it is freakin freezing in my office!! I could have some soup right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice looking creamy corn and chicken soup. Bread and soup were just made for each other!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this looks so savory and full of comfort! No more snow here, Dawn! Thank God! Well, I should say I love the beauty of snow but I'm so over the hassle of it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delish, and oh so nourishing. I too am a big soup lover, extra thick for me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this is the kind of meal I find addictive. I could easily eat bowl after bowl, and then get up for the midnight snack for more. I love the creamy texture, it just looks inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love dipping crusty bread in hot soup. This looks so creamy, cheesy and delicious Dawn. I will be trying this recipe soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks so warm and wonderful! Give me a big bowl and I'd be one happy girl! I think I'll make your recipe this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Dwan, every recipe that starts with the word cheesy gets my attention! Love the new prifile picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dawn this soup looks so rich and delicious! I great big bowl of this would be on time now. Btw, I love your new pic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That soup looks perfect! I'am so there with you on dipping the bread in it, nothing better than that!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you can have the most foul, almost-spoiled ingredients on hand, but if you surround them with cheese, they're instantly delicious. great recipe, dawn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dipping bread is the best part! Nice looking soup!! I love the corn on top! Great presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man, I could go for some of that right now. It's all cold and rainy here, a nice chunk of crusty bread and some of that soup would just be the best.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This soup looks wonderful especially with the yucky weather we're having. Nice new picture!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So thick and lovely. I'd need two bowls of this soup.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love dipping bread into soup yum.

    This is such a lovely and I love the sweetcorn mmmm. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The cream cheese is what got me! I think this would make a great dip too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dawn this is terrific, it looks so good! This soup would stay with you on a day like we're having here!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a perfect way to use things up! It sounds delicious and yes I would like something to warm me up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. The soup looks very yummy in your picture. I cooked it for the first time last night, and it also tasted delicious (I even blogged about it and included a link back to the recipe: http://sarahkyo.blogspot.com/2009/11/cheesy-chicken-veggie-soup.html). Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is one of my favorite soups - made it twice already this year and it's always gone in 36 hours! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just made it.. awesome!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This