12/1/08

double chocolate brownies with minty cream cheese frosting

brownies w/ cream cheese-mint frosting

The main reason I made these brownies is because of the frosting. Isn't that what it's always about: either the frosting or the crust? Aren't they the best parts? Just like when there is a really good cheesy casserole, the best part is the most golden, crispiest part of the crust; that's the part everyone wants in on. That's how I feel about frostings--go big or go home. I mean if you're going to go to all the trouble of making some stellar brownies, cakes, cookies, etc... then make a good frosting. Don't you hate when you bite into a gorgeous looking cake and the frosting is just awful: greasy, oily, too much sugar, too much food coloring (that does have a really bitter taste).
I had been mulling over a good mint cream cheese frosting for a while, but what was holding me back was the mint. I've tried some mint frostings that were just way too minty, so much so that it blew you away as you were coming in for a bite, all you could smell was the over-whelming smell of mint. And then it's colored green! Ick. Not for me. I like a really mild mint flavor with no food coloring. And once you have that then you can add in the creamy richness of cream cheese. Some of you may think mint & cream cheese in a frosting? Ugh. No! Trust me, if done right it's good and it melds well.

brownies w/ cream cheese-mint frosting

To make these bad boys just use your favorite brownie recipe and then use this minty frosting:

1 package of cream cheese, 8oz. room temp
1 cup of confectioners sugar (maybe a little more)
1 ts of cream or half & half (maybe a little more)
a splash of peppermint extract (like a 1/2 ts; all depending on your liking)

Sift confectioners sugar, this is a must because it will help get rid of the lumps! Then mix all in a bowl until nice and creamy.
I decorated the tops of the brownies with some chocolate peppermint bark. Or you can use crushed candy canes. These should be kept in the fridge as it has cream cheese in it.

33 comments:

  1. Hm, never would have really thought to put mint and cream cheese together in a frosting. It sounds like it could be really good when done just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most mint frosting I've has has been way too minty--- this does sound perfect. I'll make these for the kids holiday parties, I have a billion candy canes to top them with. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog and photos!! I want these brownies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tis the season to eat:) I am going to start off with your brownies. They look divine!! Brownies are my favorite goodie and you made them even better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the mint! I love it, but a nice mild touch is enough, I don't enjoy that grass felling of some mint flavored stuff. I would love those bad boys for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How much cream cheese should be added? They come in different sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't those pretty! I am sure they taste as good as they look. My mint loving husband would really dig these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I swear today I was craving mint and chocolate...you have answered my craving! WOW! These look great...I'm with you on the green food coloring - yech. These look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh!! I want those brownies. They look so sinful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think cream cheese and mint would be heavenly together! Very nice Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think if I ate this I would die and go to Heaven. YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually know someone who takes a too-personal offense to the combo of chocolate and mint, but I guess that means more for me, yay! ;) I think baked goods are naked without frosting, but I do like the bready/cakey part, so it's nice to strike a balance :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is that Trader Joe's peppermint bark? Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your brownies are calling my name!
    I've been druling over all your goodies here! And your photo's just make me crave everything even more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this is so, so perfect...I would make it for the frosting too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been looking for something special to bring to work for a holiday treat and I know they would go crazy over these. I hope I can get them to work without eating them all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. a subtle mint frosting sounds perfect for a slab of brownie. i really like what you've done here. yes, i like it a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well slap my ass and slather me with some of that frosting!!!LOL
    I wouldnt have any left to frost the brownines with!

    ReplyDelete
  19. mint cream cheese frosting? sounds like my dream frosting. seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  20. gahhh so evil, i wish i could reach into my screen and grab one. if not the whole plate

    ReplyDelete
  21. You had me at "cream cheese frosting". How perfect that would be with the luscious brownie. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Can I have one right now with morning coffee? Would that be too sinful?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dawn, these are dangerous and F-ing good lookin'!

    They remind me of dominoes but only edible.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look mighty tasty. I'm with you, I like a good minty brownie or cookie, but not when the mint overpowers the chocolate. You did great on the frosting. Some me some, will you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the looks of these! Mint and chocolate have to be one of the best combos out there. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those are some good looking brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looky there girl!! Your on Tastespotting!!YEAH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Why do I have a sudden need to bury my face in anything "double chocolate?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Frosting does it for me! Delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those sound delicious and the pictures are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  31. these look delicious-and that cream cheese frosting is absolutely perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. wow I love your blog:) I m adding it to my favourites :) This looks so yummy wish I had a piece!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This