11/27/08

apple-cheddar hand pies w/ maple glaze

maple frosted apple hand pie 11 11-25-2008 9-54-54 PM 1620x1230
Most of you know I love Emeril. A huge dream of mine is to meet him and cook with him--I mean cook things up to notches unknown! I think he is just absolutely fascinating to watch, always is quick-handed during cooking, knows how to react perfectly with people and just has this contagious energy to get people involved in cooking, just like he did in his show "Emeril Live"!
Remember that show?  Good times. Wish they'd bring that one back.
maple frosted apple hand pie 4 11-25-2008 9-52-56 PM 1711x1001
Emeril would get you so engaged, so excited to cook!
Best of all, I love that he likes to think as do I and kick things up a notch; as he would say "why be boring?...we're gonna make it better and badder!"  He definitely made you think about doing your same old recipe different; for me anyways.
Here is one of his recipes and one of my very favorite ways to make apple pie. I love hand pies. This way everyone gets their own individual pie, plus you can shape them into any form. Did you know that with hand pies come MORE crust? Think about it, you get more crust per square inch in a hand pie than you would with a slice of pie. For me, the crust is the best part--hands down. It's all about ratio baby! I don't think there should be an equal amount of filling to crust, I think it should be 60% crust and 40% filling.
(my apologies for the dark photos)
Maple frosted Apple hand pies 1 11-23-2008 9-41-39 PM 2048x1536
maple frosted apple hand pie 3 11-24-2008 10-12-52 PM 1623x917
maple frosted apple hand pie 7 11-25-2008 9-53-36 PM 1757x1243
maple frosted apple hand pies 9 11-25-2008 9-54-24 PM 1449x1039

apple-cheddar hand pies
adapted from Emeril Lagasse
print recipe

2 golden delicious apples, peeled, cored, & chopped (I used 3 McCoun) 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch ground nutmeg
Pinch salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (I used pie crust this time, both work great) 1 cup cheddar, shredded
1 large egg
1 tablespoon water (I used no water)
Maple Glaze, recipe follows

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice. Add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and toss to combine.
In a saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Cook apple mixture for 7 to 10 minutes until apple juices release and apples are slightly softened. Sprinkle flour over mixture. Cook for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry sheet. With pizza wheel, cut pastry sheet into 6 squares.
Add the cubed cheese to cooled apple mixture.
Divide the apple mixture in the center of each pastry square, leaving a 1-inch border along the long sides.
Carefully fold into triangle shape; crimp the ends together with fork to seal, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
In a small bowl, beat together the egg and water to make an egg wash. With a pastry brush, lightly coat the outside of each square with the egg wash. Using a paring knife, make a vent in each triangle.
Bake until risen and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool slightly and drizzle with maple glaze. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream on the side.
If using pie crusts, they take about 30 - 35 minutes to cook.

Maple Glaze:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
7 tablespoons maple syrup
Combine sugar and syrup until smooth.
(I added in about 4 - 6 oz. of softened cream cheese)

These really taste like a pop tart only 1000x's better.

32 comments:

  1. I love Emeril too; but I LOOOOOVE those handpies!! HOLY YUM!!!

    Happy Thanksgiving, Dawn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn-- I was totally thinking pop tart, but one billion times better the whole time, but you beat me to it. Those would have been perfect to wake up to today.

    Happy, Happy, Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG how cool are these...with that maple frosting...wow...must, must try.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Happy Turkey eating day but I would eat very little if I knew these were coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Emeril too! I used to race home from class in college so I could catch Emeril Live. These hand pies are amazing. I love the cheese inside them.

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crust is the reason I eat pie! Once again you have a recipe I need to try! Happy Thanksgiving Dawn!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - these hand pies looks great!

    -DTW
    www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would really like to put my hands on your hand pies ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Emeril best when he has no audience :P I have to say, anyone who thinks of glazing a pie is an absolute genius!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look great! Apple an cheddar go surprisingly well together and the maple frosting completes the pies perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A homeade poptart..I will take that anyday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with you, its all about the crust

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cute are these? Love them. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Dawn, these look amazing. My father loves cheese with his apple pie. I'll make this for him the next time he visits.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my, do those look good or what!! that maple glaze looks delicious, i bet it would be so good on some scones too :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just wondering, what does the cheese taste like with apple pie filling? I want to make these when I get back to my apartment....yum.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i like your crust-to-filling ratio, as well as your glaze-to-pie ratio. i was afraid i'd never be hungry again after eating my weight in thanksgiving food, but you've taken care of that quite nicely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so with you on the crust-filling ratio! These pies look wonderful and the maple frosting knocked off my feet. How much I adore maple...

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH! i love nutmeg! and these handpies are just lovely. mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I enjoy Emeril too! He always makes me laugh! These little pies are fantastic!! I love all of the frosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy day! Hand pies are so comforting and these look so delicious! Maple frosting - mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The crust is the best! That's why I love pie most of all and your hand pies are right up my alley.

    I also love Emeril's enthusiasm.

    So, have you ever heard of Buckie's Biscotti? It's a bakery turned coffee house on route 6A in Dennis.

    The owner is an Italian gal from Boston who decided to start a mail order biscotti business and so many people knocked on her door that she added coffee and now has two cafes in addition to a bakery.

    Her baked goods are the real deal, so I'm assuming her coffee is pretty great too.

    This might be a good spot to meet when we both find the time...

    ReplyDelete
  23. These pies just exude love made by your hand!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look amazing, the cheddar is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i've always loved the idea of hand pies...a pie that is mobile is good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Dawn, I just got home and contacted Lucy , if you email me your email address she'll get you on.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I haven't made a whole lot of Emeril's recipes, but after seeing this one, I just might have to start trying them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my gosh, those look fabulous! I'm in the 60 filling, 40 crust camp, but I could easily stuff more filling in there! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh man...you are a baking machine! These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh man with cheese too! These look great- I love little pies and you can't beat the glaze! I am glad you used premade pie crust as I hate making my own! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, so lovely! Thanks for idea!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This