4/6/14

almond butter-oatmeal cookies (GF)

With my last batch of flourless peanut butter cookies, I got an email asking if almond butter could be used instead of peanut butter.
What a great question!
I didn't know, but was pretty sure one could easily swap the two.
So after just one experimental batch using almond butter they came out great--more like perfect!
I know a lot of you look for cookies that are gluten free and taste good.
I realize some gluten free cookies you see in the store aren't that great, sometimes you have to  travel to a gluten free bakery for really good GF cookies.
But these almond butter-oatmeal cookies are really good.
These are chewy, not quite crunchy.
So if you like gooey cookies, these would be your match because you can slightly under-bake them for a soft center.
IMG_2350
IMG_2351
One note, since I obsess over what could have been ingredient-wise (with almost every recipe I make), if you do make these, I'm curious to see how they would taste without the cinnamon added.
Should you do this, please let me know.
Just wondering if taking the cinnamon out would make them more almond buttery tasting?
IMG_2348
IMG_2352
IMG_2349
These are the perfect morning or breakfast cookie. They go so well with hot coffee.
And there isn't a lot of junk in there (just sugar) so it's almost healthy, filled with healthy proteins (almond butter and eggs).

almond butter-oatmeal cookies
print recipe

1 jar (16 ounces) honey almond butter (please see cook notes below)
½ cup dark brown sugar, NOT packed, but loose
2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
1 ts pure vanilla extract
3 dashes of cinnamon
1 ½ TB molasses
¾ ts baking soda
¾ ts sea salt
1 cup rolled oats (not instant)

cook notes:
I used one whole jar (16 ounces) of honey almond butter.  If you use maple flavored, you might want to cut down the sugar amount by 1-2 TB. I know the maple flavored almond butters are sweeter. If you use an almond butter that has no sugar in it, you might want to add in more sugar; make sure to taste-test before baking.
I would definitely add some raisins the next time I make these.

In a large mixing bowl, mix the almond butter, dark brown sugar, the eggs and egg yolk well.  Then add in the vanilla extract, dashes of cinnamon, molasses and mix again.
Sprinkle on the baking soda, salt and rolled oats.
Mix well.
Cover bowl and place in fridge for 20 minutes to firm up.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Using a medium cookie scoop, scoop out dough onto parchment lined baking sheets about an inch apart. You can try using your hands to roll dough balls, but dough is very sticky and wet.
DO NOT press down on the dough balls, do not flatten; leave as balls.
The cookies spread a bit during baking.
Bake cookies for 10- 14 minutes. For gooey cookies 10-11 minute mark.
It’s hard to know when the cookies are done,  they stay soft and puffy while baking (firm up after cooling )
I looked for almost-crisp, light golden brown edges.
After you remove from oven, let them sit on the cookie sheet for at least 15-20 minutes or longer if you can.
If you try and take them off the sheet right out of the oven they will break apart; very delicate after baking.
They don’t keep too fresh that long, maybe 3 days at best?
Made about 21-23 cookies

22 comments:

  1. mmmm! Love almond butter- must try these! I'll definitely be using a plain almond butter, so maybe I'll try adding agave vs.brown sugar and playing with the moisture content...fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! And I love that you used honey AB and dark brown sugar. Mmmm, so good! And naturally GF. Can't beat it! pinned

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't make a lot of GF desserts...and I like crunch in a cookie, so these may not be for me.
    Re Friday links:
    In that we have 2 Trader Joes coming our way, I wasn't thrilled about that review. But did think the Washington Post comparison chart was a hoot. I do like Whole Foods a lot. We'll see. I read the article about annoying gym people...so true. And yes, I wish I were there with those annoying people right now. :) I'm going to set more chocolate so I'll Lose weight while I'm sitting like a slug.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all for the hidden power of a breakfast cookie! :D Yes. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love serious goo factor in my cookies. So these seem ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be in trouble if you lived near. I love any cookie and am definitely up for the challenge to see how they work without cinnamon. Love the molasses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I'm not GF, I know how hard it can be for my GF friends to find baking that works for them. This recipe looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great combo! These cookies look and sound divine.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, these look really good. I love oats, and I love almond butter, these are right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look really healthy.
    So I don't have to feel guilty about eating a ton, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so yummy! I bet that almond butter flavor is perfect in them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yuum I can just imagine how good these would be with chocolate chips! Definitely going to try this almond butter version :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Who me? Yes please... GREG

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think they look amazing and I would never know they were gluten free. The almond butter sounds like a great replacement for peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i like the texture of these--not too cakey but not too flat. almond butter is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. almond butter is like my new favorite thing in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These cookies look fantastic! I have never made gluten free cookies before, but they seem like a pretty good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, these cookies are inspired! Love the idea of them, and they look perfect. Great recipe -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look so good Dawn - I can almost taste them! I love baking with almond butter and almond flour as well - they add a beautiful flavor and texture. And I always get jealous when I visit here because I love the Cape and so rarely get there - say hi to the ocean for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love flourless ab cookies. It's funny but they bake up so differently from the pb ones. Maple almond butter is my weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  21. these sound incredible! i'll take almond butter any way i can get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look so delightful, thanks for always posting the best cookie recipes! I'm all about da cookies!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This