2/3/14

homemade peanut butter twix bars (one bowl easy)

Peanut butter twix, I love them, BUT (isn't there always a but with me?) their peanut butter is not peanut buttery enough, and their chocolate stinks.
So that's my challenge: make a better peanut butter flavor with better chocolate taste, AND make this easy so you all will do it and not just read the post.
Remember I hate hard recipes; love a good challenge but hate hard, thousand steps, and a thousand kitchen utensil recipes.
IMG_2248
I did not make my own caramel for this, please don't call the caramel police on me; I used a can of dulce de leche.
I want to make this easy as pie for you, and you won't be tempted to click away.
Don't we all have a can or three of this sitting in the cupboard?
If you want to make your own caramel for this, please do!
I also used peanut butter powder; since Trader Joe's stopped carrying peanut flour, I've resorted to using this peanut butter powder which is almost like peanut butter flour but with sugar in it.
Baking with peanut butter is wonderful--they make the best peanut butter cookies!
I found the peanut butter powder at whole foods, but people have been saying that walmart carries another brand of pb powder too. And if you don't bake with it, you can use it as regular peanut butter!
IMG_4216
IMG_4205IMG_4232
Literally one bowl easy recipe, then all we do is transfer it to a cooling rack to coat with caramel and then chocolate.
Very easy.
IMG_4230
IMG_4206
IMG_4225
Just before the chocolate glaze, add on a touch of sea salt.
Since the dulce de leche is very sweet; tiny amount of salt is needed.
IMG_4224
I realize the chocolate glaze isn't that great.
I tried to do this by dipping each bar, but the caramel just falls off, so this is the easiest way.
If you want a more cleaner chocolate dip, then pour the chocolate over the top, let it set, then it should be hard enough to re-dip in chocolate again to cover up the sides and smooth out the top.
IMG_4219
IMG_4217

homemade peanut butter twix bars (one bowl easy)
recipe from vanillasugarblog.com
print recipe

peanut butter cookie base:
12 TB unsalted butter, room temp, cut into 1-inch chunks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
¾ cup peanut butter powder
1/2 cup flour + 2 TB
1 ts baking powder
¾ TB of sea salt

caramel layer:
1 – 13 ounce can of dulce de leche (or make your own caramel)
plus a bit of sea salt for decorating the tops of bars

chocolate layer:
1 bag of milk or dark chocolate (11 ounces) + might need more if you
double dip as stated in cook notes.

cook notes:
-I used an 8-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
-Brownie pan might work, just use parchment paper & non-stick spray
-Since I made this one bowl easy, I just dumped all the cookie base ingredients (in order of the ingredient list), then just used my hands to combine.
-I found the peanut butter powder at whole foods, but people have been saying that walmart carries another brand of pb powder too.
-Literally one bowl easy recipe, then all we do is transfer it to a cooling rack to coat with caramel and then chocolate.
-I realize the chocolate glaze isn't that great in the photos, I was in a hurry.
At first, I tried to dip each bar in chocolate, but the caramel just falls off; using a rack and pour chocolate over the bars, is the easiest way.
If you want a more cleaner chocolate dip, then pour the chocolate over the top, let it set, then it should be hard enough to re-dip in chocolate again to cover up the sides and smooth out the top.

Butter and/or spray up with non stick spray a 8-inch tart pan.
You can use a stand mixer—I mixed by hand.
In a large bowl add in: butter chunks, sugar, pb powder, flour, baking powder and salt.  Using a spatula or your clean hands, mix till just combined.  Lumps are good!
Turn the dough out onto the pan and spread it out, making sure to get into all the corners.
Chill in fridge for at least 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Halfway through baking, the edges might puff up a bit.  I used a spatula to push them back down and continued baking.
Bake the dough for 17-22 minutes, until it’s golden brown.  We want this crunchy so look for golden brown almost dark amber color.
You’ll know it’s done when edges are crisp, and the middle is no longer jiggly.
Please let this cool completely before adding on the caramel layer.
Remove the tart carefully from the pan, it will be thin and fairly fragile, and place over parchment paper.  Spread a nice even layer of the caramel sauce.  I used a spoon to smooth out.
Sprinkle just a little bit of sea salt on the top.
Use a sharp knife to slice into bars or squares.
Place bars on a wire rack. Make sure there is a pan underneath the wire rack to catch the chocolate drippings.  I used a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Melt the chocolate until nice and smooth, and then pour it over the bars.
I used a chopstick to smooth out the chocolate and let it get some of the sides.
You should get about 20-25 sticks, all depending on how thin or thick you cut them.

21 comments:

  1. No way would I call the caramel police - they look PERFECT and even better than Twix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look insanely good, and I especially love your chocolate swirl technique!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Twix and you rocked these! Pinned! Havent used peanut butter powder in like 5 years. I need to go get some now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twix has been one of my long-time favorites. A homemade version (and in one bowl) sounds so good! I've never heard of peanut butter powder but I'll be keeping an eye out for it now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love/hate your blog ;). It makes me want to run to the cabinet and bake!!! These look ridiculous awesome. I haven't purchased peanut flour in a while- I must! I usually buy mine online

    ReplyDelete
  6. I refuse to buy chocolate bars because, WHY. Especially when I can make them at home! Loving this homemade PB twix...and I'm pretty sure I"ll appreciate it's deliciousness all the more if I've made it from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wicked! I just adore PB Twix and this homemade version is to-die-for! Love that you used peanut butter powder and kept the recipe simple using prepared dulce de leche. Perfect for when a major crave strikes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that Nestle dulce de leche stuff.
    Slather some onto old army boots and I'd eat them!

    You are so right about Twix. I love your version , but it's dangerously easy. Muhahhaaa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very very good!!!!!! Buonissimi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has been a while since I had the last twix bars. You reminded me to go and have one. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This with the Jeni's Salty Caramel Sauce in the refrigerator plus my carob chips is going to be heaven!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. PB and chocolate is such a great combo, but most of the commercial things one buys have wimpy flavor. So you gotta make your own! This looks terrific -- thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i never buy twix anymore, but these appeal to me very much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh man--looks AMAZING! twix are delish. and homemade? even better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Why do I come here when I am hungry? Now all I can think about is one of these beauties. They look amazing Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look SO good! PB powder is such a great idea! less sticky. These sound better than Twix!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look so good! What a decadent recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh man, i've been looking for a way to use my peanut powder! fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  19. It would be so fun to make your own peanut butter twix bars!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This