9/1/13

salted oatmeal cookies with peanut butter

I can't remember if I've done the combo of peanut butter with oatmeal?
It must be done.
And do you happen to have mini pb eggs laying around?
I know, NOT.
But this time of year you could easily use regular pb cups.
Doesn't the Reese's company have seasonal pb shapes now, like year round?
One for every season?
We have one for christmas, thanksgiving, spring...where is summer?
Where is the palm tree shaped pb cup?
With these cookies I took my old recipe the quarter pound oatmeal-raisin cookies as the base.
If you don't like pb cups, you could easily swap in plain milk or dark chocolate bars;
butterscotch chips and even cinnamon chips sounds tasty!
Of course you don't have to make these cookies a quarter pound, I just happen to have a small
obsession with quarter pound cookies.
Make them whatever size you wish and please experiment on what to stuff them with, BUT
make sure to sprinkle them with a tiny bit of sea salt on the tops before baking.  It makes all the difference taste-wise.
IMG_1866
I used the mini peanut butter eggs from Reese's.
IMG_1857
To me, this is the kind of cookie that begs to be stuffed with something; the cookie base is so tasty,
not overpowering, which means anything can be stuffed into the middle.
IMG_1842
One could easily just eat them this way, and then we could call it "no bake" cookies, not to
mention save a lot of time.
IMG_1873
No bake?  Yeah it's tempting.
IMG_1870
Sealing the edges is important because we don't want the pb egg to escape!
IMG_1863
IMG_1859

salted oatmeal cookies with pb cups

8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temp
5 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 ts vanilla
2 ¼ cups flour
1 ¾ cup rolled oats
1/2 ts sea salt
1 and ¼ ts baking powder
1 ts baking soda

12-14 mini pb eggs or pb cups, (or whatever you wish to stuff them with)
sea salt for sprinkling the tops

In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter, cream cheese, and both sugars just until creamy. Don’t overbeat. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat just until incorporated.
Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; add in the oats and mix. Then add the dry to the wet batters and mix till just combined.
Please cover the dough and chill at least 3 hours or overnight.
When ready to bake, divide dough into 12 to 14 big 4 oz lumps.
Slice each lump in half, fill with pb egg or cup, place other half back on and seal the edges, then roll into a ball.
If the dough gets too warm please place them back in the fridge to firm up again.
It’s important to keep this dough cold.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line baking sheets with parchment paper or use non-stick spray.
Keep them as balls on the cookie sheets, do not press flat!
And keep them about 2 inches apart
Sprinkle tops with a tiny bit of sea salt. 
Bake for about 15-20 minutes (mine were done at the 16 minute mark).
You’ll know they’re done by golden edges and bottom.
Do not try and remove them from the cookie sheet as they are fragile and need
to set up/cool to firm up.
Depending on size you make them, if you make them my size, about 12-14; I got exactly 13 cookies.


17 comments:

  1. Wow! These are massive! I like the idea of oats with PB. I've made PB oat bars, but never cookies. Getting on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A palm tree-shaped Reese's, yes! *Brill*
    Now please, may I have about half a dozen of these cookies!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stuffed cookies! And when they're stuffed with adorable PB cups, even better! And I am a big fan of pantry cleanout recipes. Use what you have I always say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fun recipe! You have to write a stuffed cookie book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet these pack a fair few calories. I don't care though because they look sooooo yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stuffed cookies with peanut butter in the insides?! Kind of the perfect bite. Ever. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These giant cookies look so fantastic! Cinnamon chips sound like a great addition too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm DEFINITELY going to make these. Another awesome recipe, Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So this is what you're supposed to do with leftover Easter candy....
    Hmmm, Halloween is coming. Bet I'll have something left over....

    ReplyDelete
  10. that sea salt is the crowning touch, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cookies look like heaven!! Wow. I'm very happy to have found your site, great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my lord... you, my friend, sure know how to make this girl drool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These salty thick cookies look delicious! Now that you've teased me with sweets, it's time for bed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh goodness, the picture of before they are baked got me weak in the knees! I am loving these cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oatmeal and peanut butter is definitely a great combo- especially with that little nugget in there :) and sea salt on top! drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those cookies are looking really good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oooh i bet these are amazing! and palm tree shaped pb cups? hilarious! i'd buy em!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This