8/11/13

crunchy peanut-curry broccoli salad

I eat the broccoli salad from Whole Foods in mass quantities.
It's gross really how much of it I eat and never tire of it.
I should make more of my own, and I do, but I get horribly lazy sometimes.
On a whim, while eating said Whole Foods broccoli salad, I decided to add a nice heaping
tablespoon (or 2) of curry powder.
Oh man was that good.
Then realized it needed peanut butter, then it needed coconut milk....ok you get the idea.
If you are like me, who craves and loves that thai peanut sauce on a daily basis,
then this peanut-curry broccoli salad is for you.
I promise you this will be your new go-to broccoli salad.
The curry flavors, the crunch of the broccoli, the sweetness of the raisins.....
IMG_2641
I used cashews for an extra crunch and depth of flavor, use whatever you wish.
But I do recommend using the raisins and carrots as a base, then add in: peanuts, nuts, sesame
sticks, onions, other veggies...endless possibilities really.
IMG_1923
Does it get soggy overnight?  A little. I used raw broccoli so it wasn't that soggy.
Read the cook notes for more info stuff.
IMG_1910
Baker hindsight is 20/20: so I would also add in a touch of red pepper flakes.
No golden syrup? Use honey.
IMG_1914
IMG_1919

crunchy peanut-curry broccoli salad
print recipe

I used a 12-14 ounce bag of broccoli heads, raw
1/4 cup grated carrots
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup of cashews (or other nuts)

sauce
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
1-2 ts apple cider vinegar
1-2 TB golden syrup (or pure/raw honey)
2 TB curry powder or Madras curry
1/4 cup (might need more) coconut milk
a couple dashes of hot sauce
salt & pepper to taste

cook notes:
I used raw broccoli, it just has a better crunch, and can hold up to the sauce much better.
If you prefer to cook your broccoli first, then go ahead, but please make sure to drain
the broccoli really well.
This salad will taste awful with extra water in it.
I made my sauce very thick, if you want it thinner just add in more coconut milk.
I highly suggest adding a pinch or three of red pepper flakes to this.
I love the taste of curry so I added in 2 TB, you can easily use just 1 TB.

for the sauce:
Mix all ingredients in sauce in a bowl, stir well, give it a taste-test and see what it needs.
Cover and let it chill/set up in fridge at least an hour or two.
When ready to assemble, in a large bowl mix the broccoli, shredded carrots, and raisins, add in the sauce a little bit at a time.  You might not need all the sauce, so use a little at a time.
A little goes a long way!

Makes about 4 cups; enough for 4 people as a side dish.




10 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen a savory recipe on your site in the 3+ yrs I've been reading! Either that, or I've tuned them out. Lol But I love love love brock salad. I also love peanut sauce. Peanut sauce trumps a mayo-based/slaw dressing any day! I love making peanut sauce with coconut milk, and apple cid vinegar, and ginger. Your sauce sounds so good! The whole thing looks incredible. I love raisins, too (some ppl don't). I would devour this! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peanut sauce is the perfect addition to just about everything in my opinion!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of this! This could become my new fave salad, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds awesome, like satay broccoli coleslaw which is something I'm totally down with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so totally into peanut salads and this one looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow! i could definitely get into this salad. it looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a fabulous fabulous idea, love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alright, I'd be willing to eat broccoli now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Curry powder is my favorite savory ingredient. I love it on vegetables. Love golden syrup too and the addition of red pepper flake sounds irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know about the whole foods version, but this one is awesome! Cashews and curry, I never of it!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This