8/19/13

cookie butter protein bars

OK so I've gone cray cray with the cookie butter.
BUT...I had to see if the protein bar would....well.  cookie butter!
And it did.
They came out great!
If cookie butter isn't your thing and you want a "healthier" version of a protein bar then just sub in
almond butter or peanut butter.
I've made these protein bars with peanut butter before and it's a really good "base" recipe
easy for add in's, other nut butters, etc...
Super easy to make, literally one bowl easy, and the molding part is fairly easy too.
My apologies for crappy photos. Protein bars are...well...not exactly pretty; tasty though!
I think protein bars become "pretty" with all that fancy packaging.
IMG_2700
IMG_2680 (2)
This recipe is a great base for any kind of add in's: you can experiment with various nut butters,
add in raisins, nuts, coconut, give it a drizzle of chocolate on top, etc...
If you don't want chocolate, then omit the cocoa powder.
IMG_2677
IMG_2699
IMG_2698

cookie butter protein bars

4 ounces whey protein isolate powder (plain)
3 cups of rolled oats
1 cup of coconut milk
1 TB unsweetened cocoa powder
small pinch of salt
hefty pinch of cinnamon
½ cup cookie butter
1 ripe banana

chopped peanuts, optional, for decorating the tops
you could also add in raisins or other nuts

cook notes: 
make sure to use a plain protein powder; not sure how flavored would taste.  This recipe is a great base for any kind of add in's: you can experiment with various nut butters,
add in raisins, nuts, coconut, give it a drizzle of chocolate on top, etc...
If you don't want chocolate, then omit the cocoa powder.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. 
If you feel confident, go ahead and mold them into squares. 
If dough is too loose for you then cover dough and place in fridge to firm up for about 15-30 minutes.
You should get about 8 -10 squares/rectangles.
Place on parchment lined baking sheet about ½ apart (the bars don’t spread when baking).
Bake about 15-20 minutes.
You’ll know when they are done when the bars are slightly firm to the touch.
Don’t look for browned edges—it won’t happen.


You should get about 8-10 squares/rectangles; depending on how you shaped them.

14 comments:

  1. These sound super yummy! I hate when really delicious things don't photograph well, though I think these look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man- all the spoonfuls of cookie butter i was eating last night would have been fabulous in these protein bars. next jar, i'll bake with it, i promise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These sound so amazing!! Gotta love cookie butter :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes please! I'll take two. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loooove cookie butter and these look like SUCH a tasty use of it. NOM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now this is the kind of protein bar I would JUMP to eat!! Cookie butter is a staple in my diet no matter what anyone says about it's "nutritional value".

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I love cookie butter. Like if there's one left on the shelf, I might push a child (gently of course) out of the way to get to it. So to see you use it in protein bars makes me jump for joy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. they look great and i must confess i don't know what cookie butter is

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since these are packed w protein, they're good for me, right?
    So I can eat MORE of them!
    Muhahahaa

    PS-Girly, I extended my giveaway to 2 winners. Pls enter. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that's amusing, to take cookies and make 'butter' out of them, then put that back into cookies. They do look good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cookie butter combined with protein? I definitely am tempted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh man, these certainly look tempting! might just have to buckle up and give cookie butter a try...

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This