5/29/13

toasted coconut-graham macaroons

This recipe is a 'baking bucket list' which I can now cross off the list.
I don't know why I've always wanted to try a macaroon this way.
I love them as is, but always wanted to try them with some sort of texture.
Granted I know they are odd looking, but certainly tasty and very easy to make.
Of course you don't have to use crushed grahams, you can use more coconut, lime zest, crushed candies of some sort, you get the idea....

IMG_1809

Super easy to make too.
I took the coconut and toasted first.
I wanted an extra crunchy macaroon.
IMG_1787
Please do a better job of rolling these into balls than I did.
IMG_1792
Get the dipping station ready, makes things go smoothly.
Not a fan of crushed graham? Use crushed candy, more toasted coconut, citrus zest, etc...
If you do use graham, please a nice pinch of sea salt to it.
IMG_1793
IMG_1794
IMG_1805
A tasty little cookie--almost smore'esque in texture and taste.
IMG_1807

toasted coconut-graham macaroons

14 ounces sweetened, flaked coconut, toasted! (I toasted mine—try this)
2/3 cup minus 1 TB granulated sugar
2 large egg whites, cold
¼ ts sea salt
½ ts almond extract

½ cup crushed graham crackers
a pinch of salt (for the crushed grahams)

about 8-10 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips, melted (for dipping macaroons)
1 ts of vegetable oil

cooks notes: I was not that great at making the macaroons high and puffy.  I could have done better by rolling them by hand instead of using two spoons.  So use your hands or even a cookie scoop. Of course dipping the macaroons in crushed grahams is optional.

Preheat oven to 325°F.
Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
I did all this by hand (I don’t have a mixer) and it turned out fine.
In a large bowl, mix the egg whites with the sugar, salt and almond extract. Mix well, about 2 minutes.  Add in the toasted coconut and mix again till well combined.
With a medium cookie scoop (or by hand) scoop batter into 2-3 inch mounds (depending on size you like big or small).
The cookies won’t spread as much You can arrange the cookies fairly close together as they don’t spread all that much.
Bake cookies for 25 to 30 minutes, until they look toasted on top. And are set up.
Let them cool on the tray for at least 20 minutes.
When ready to dip macaroons, melt the chocolate (and 1 ts of vegetable oil) in the microwave OR however you feel most comfortable melting chocolate.
Have a small dish filled with the crushed grahams at the ready; as soon as we dip the macaroons in chocolate we will dip them in the crushed grahams.
Using a baking sheet lined with wax or parchment paper, take a cooled macaroon, dip in the melted chocolate, tap off excess, then dip in the crushed grahams and place on lined cookie sheet.  I placed the dipped macaroon with the dipped side up.
Repeat with all the cookies until done.
It should take about 2 hours (at room temp) for the chocolate to harden or you can place in the fridge to set up.

Makes about 20-23 macaroons, depending on size you make them.

19 comments:

  1. Not at all odd looking! I'd eat them all up in one sitting. :D (You're brilliant!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I would love these. I am so in love with coconut!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flavor combo sounds amazing!! Coconut plus graham!!! Love!!! So creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes macaroon so much more appealing to me, especially with the coconut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. S'mores flavored macaroons?? I'm ALL over that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. these look super fancy and fun :) yayyy coconutty s'mores :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adding graham cracker and chocolate to anything just makes it better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love macaroons and do them every year for Passover. Though graham cracker crumbs wouldn't work for that, this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the sound of coating the macaroons in chocolate and dipping them into something!

    ReplyDelete
  10. omg. when i saw these on facebook i about died. these are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Coconut macaroons are the bomb! They're so easy to make and delicious. Mixing up the flavors like this is so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You, my friend, always come up with the best ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the graham cracker crumb coating is a simply fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love graham cracker coatings/crusts/etc. so this sounds totally amazing to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good lord, woman. You just turned macaroons into a s'mores-y goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  16. ooh, graham is a great addition!! sounds fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum. Wouldn't have thought of this, but I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. can I use candy melt for dipping

    Hola, me gustaria hacer esta receta, pero recomendarias usar candy melts..

    gracias

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that will taste that good.
      But you can try! You never know!

      Delete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This