2/6/13

ginger crunch bars

IMG_1497
Whenever I see a recipe that calls for using pure coconut or pure ginger in it's all natural form I'm in.
I love baking with ginger, love eating it when I get sushi and love using it at home in stir fry dishes.
And ever since I finally invested in a good ginger peeler, it's been a lot easier to slice and dice it up.
Sure I used to be lazy about using fresh ginger because it was a pain to peel, but if you get a small peeler or even one that's made for ginger you'll see how much more you use fresh ginger.
And it's still one of those produce items that hasn't gone way up in price, and has a pretty good shelf life in the fridge.
When David Lebovitz made these he warned us of how addicting they were.
He wasn't kidding--these are seriously good.
Just the right amount of ginger to butter to icing ratio.
Tastes like a shortbread with a fresh, clean burst of ginger and a nice gentle caramel undertone--heavenly I tell you.
Be warned!
I followed the recipe exactly, but added in some salt and also topped them off with toasted
ginger on top.
I highly suggest adding on the toasted ginger on top,  if not for the smells the toasting ginger leaves in the house.
IMG_1498
IMG_1466
IMG_1471
IMG_1477
IMG_1489
IMG_1407
IMG_1491
IMG_1494
IMG_1503

ginger crunch bars

cook notes:
I used an 8-inch tart pan with removable bottom.  You could use another size tart pan with removable bottom.

cookie base
9 TB unsalted butter, room temp
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1 ts baking powder
1 1/2 ts ground dried ginger (I used 2 TB)
(I added a giant pinch of sea salt)

icing
5 TB unsalted butter
2 TB golden syrup
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 TB ground dried ginger (I used 1 & ½ TB)

Toasted ginger for decoration, optional but wonderful
(I toasted about 1/8 - ¼ cup of sliced/grated fresh ginger on parchment paper in the oven (350 degrees) for about 5-10 minutes until “just” golden brown).

Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Butter and/or spray up a 8 or 13-inch rectangular tart pan.
You can use a stand mixer—I mixed by hand.  
In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, salt, and ginger.
Mix the dry ingredients into the creamed butter mixture until well combined. Turn the dough out onto the pan and spread it out, making sure to get into all the corners.  It’s not a sticky dough, so this part should be relatively easy.
Bake the dough for 18-20 minutes, until it’s light golden brown or if you want really crunchy then golden brown --  I did somewhere in between.
When the dough is almost done baking, make the icing by heating the butter and golden syrup over low heat in a small pan; add in the powdered sugar and ginger.  Keep stirring until it’s all smooth. Take off heat.
Once the cookie dough is done baking pour the icing over the top (I used about 3/4 of it).  When smoothing out the icing try not to let it get into the edges.  You want the edges to be seen as it gives a nice decorative appeal when it’s all cooled.
Decorate with the toasted ginger, optional.
Let this sit for at least 30 minutes to let the icing harden up/set up. 
If your kitchen is hot, then pop in the fridge.
Use a sharp knife to slice into bars or squares.

17 comments:

  1. David is a genius (as are you ;) and I want that cookie crust alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ginger to butter to icing = YES! I love everything about this, especially the smooth, shiny, top layer that I just want to take a bath in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have more than one piece, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fresh ginger punches up the flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is on my short list "to bake". If you haven't already tried it, make David's "Fresh Ginger Cake". :-) Oh, and I love your pan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally with you girl. I hear fresh ginger and I am ALL.IN.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want an edge piece please? Wish we were neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh man! fresh ginger is ahhhmazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look delicious and I agree, I always save the crunchy end pieces for myself. I am just super nice like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, that icing! this is a fantastic creation, dawn!! and whoever heard of toasted ginger? i'm pretty excited about that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ginger works so well in sweet treats and these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love fresh ginger too! And it's so good for you. I find quality fresh ginger can be a little tough to find. Golden syrup is another one of my faves. I'll have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a sucker for anything with ginger, too! And actually, coconut as well. I've actually never cooked with real ginger before -- so intimidating! Perhaps I'll adventure into that territory soon...

    ReplyDelete
  14. ginger is one of my favorites, these look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Am I the only one who has no clue what golden syrup is?!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Golden syrup is a pale treacle.[1] It is a thick, amber-coloured form of inverted sugar syrup, made in the process of refining sugar cane or sugar beet juice into sugar, or by treatment of a sugar solution with acid. It is used in a variety of baking recipes and desserts. It has an appearance similar to honey, and is often used as a substitute for honey by people who do not eat honey.

    Molasses, or dark treacle, has a richer colour than golden syrup, and a stronger, slightly bitter flavour

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mindy I had to look it up.
    Going to try to find it & if can't will sub-corn syrup or lt molasses...I guess.
    Golden syrup is widely available across the world, made either from sugar cane or sugar beets, but in the United States, where white corn syrup is common, it is harder to find, except in Louisiana, where it often appears in Cajun cuisine.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This