10/14/12

(cake like) pumpkin cookies w/ nutella-cream cheese frosting

IMG_0907

This weekend I set out to create a pumpkin cookie that was soft and cake-like.
And hopefully next weekend I can create one that is crispy--is there such a thing as a crispy pumpkin cookie?
Have you had one?
I got a ton of requests for pumpkin this and that.
Amazed at how many of you love your pumpkin.
Did you see my version of NY style pumpkin crumb cake?
Or my pumpkin-nutella fudge puddles?
So, if you love cake-like cookies, then this one is for you.
It's soft and a bit chewy.
The best part is the frosting.
Hands down Nutella pairs really well with pumpkin.
So if you're going to make pumpkin anything  make sure to add some nutella in there.

IMG_0912

IMG_0902
Really sticky dough.  Make sure to chill the dough before using.
Make sure to use a small or medium ice cream scoop.
I used medium and got about 28 cookies.
If you use a smaller scoop you might get 35 cookies?

IMG_0906

IMG_0905


pumpkin cookies (cake-like) with nutella-cream cheese frosting

cookies:
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ts baking powder
1 ts baking soda
2 ts ground cinnamon
1/2 ts ground nutmeg
1/2 ts ground cloves
1/2 ts salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
1 ¼ cups white sugar
1 cup canned PLAIN pumpkin puree
1 egg
1 ts vanilla extract

frosting:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp
6 ounces cream cheese, room temp
½ cup ( + a bit more if needed) Nutella
2 TB confectioners sugar
small pinch of salt

¼ cup crushed walnuts or pecans, for garnish (optional)

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, all the spices, and salt; mix and set aside.
In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar.  Next add in the pumpkin, egg, and vanilla extract, beat until creamy. Then add in the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined—do not overmix!
Cover the batter and chill for at least an hour or overnight. 
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Using a medium or small ice cream scoop, drop on baking sheet, leaving about 2 inches space per cookie since these do expand when baking.  I did not flatten then, I kept them as balls to ensure a soft cookie.
Bake about 15 - 18 minutes.  To tell if the cookies are done the tops will be set and the bottom slightly browned.

For the frosting: 
cream butter, cream cheese and Nutella together. Slowly add in the powdered sugar and mix well.
Let cookies cool completely before frosting.  After you’ve frosted them you can decorate the tops with crushed pecans or walnuts.

Yield: using a medium scoop about 24-28 cookies; using a smaller scoop about 30-35 cookies (?)





18 comments:

  1. I like pumpkin everything. I'm actually baking pumpkin muffins as I type this! I'm not sure about crispy? Pumpkin adds SO much moisture, its hard to get crispy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "-is there such a thing as a crispy pumpkin cookie? Have you had one?"

    I tried to create a chewy pumpkin cookie for my kitchenaid giveaway and I succeeded in making it chewy, not just soft and cakey. It's not crispy, but it's chewy. Like a choc chip cookie meets pumpkin cookie but BOY did I trial recipes about 17 times getting there. Pumpkin cookies are just inherently...soft! I loved the pumpkin whoopie pies I just made but your idea with nutella, even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just bought my first can of pumpkin for the season. Love the cakey nature of the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cakey pumpkin cookies! I've never had a crispy pumpkin cookie, but I'm definitely up for one if you come up with a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, those look good! Must try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These cookies look amazing! All of my favorite flavors :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my experience, all pumpkin cookies come out cakey, although Jessica of How Sweet swears to have a chewy cookie though I've never tried it! No matter what the texture, if you top it with nutella, I'm guaranteed to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm itching to do something w pumpkins.
    These cute li'l critters look like they just might be what I'm lookin' fer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you just made pumpkin even better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. these look a lot like the pumpkin cookies i make for the bakery, but ours are missing the best part--the nutella! great touch. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really sticky dough makes for an even better cake/cookie! I just remembered why I miss coming over here. Every post is ridiculously masterful. I'd be a pudgy girl if I lived near you. I have eating issues! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. FYI: Once we both get our health situations straightened out, you and I will need to do plenty of jogging cause just looking at your recipes is making me chunky - like a choc chunk cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't get enough pumpkin this time of year and these cakey cookies look wonderful. Chocolate goes so well with pumpkin and I bet the Nutella takes it over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Cake-Like" if I ever have a child that's what I'm going to name her. GREG

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, I really like pumpkin and nutella together - I would inhale these!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pumpkin and chocolate were made for each others and these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mouth-watering! I will definitely try this out. Your recipes turn out to be so great really. Keep sharing more. You might wanna check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Question, do these need to be refrigerated after frosting due to the cream cheese??

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This