2/9/12

double dip glazed chocolate donut muffins


IMG_0021-1
You know those old fashioned cake-like donuts be it chocolate or vanilla that have that 'almost' crispy, sweet milky like glaze on top? Yeah I love that, and I think I've found the closest glaze recipe to it.
After playing around with various glazes I found one that really works well and most importantly, dries/hardens up just right. You know if you're gonna make a donut, you need a good glaze. It's really all about the glaze for me ? Why go through all that work for a crappy glaze?
If you do make these, please heed my advice and use mini muffin tins or use mini donut tins. The regular size muffins work good, but to be honest there is just too much muffin to glaze ratio; it's just not even enough--even with the double dipping. Too much muffin and the muffins are a tad dry, but I'm certain if I did these again and used a mini muffin tin or mini donut tin, reduce the baking time they would be spot on.
IMG_0016-1

IMG_0026

IMG_0029
IMG_0030
IMG_0023-1
Now isn't that better and easier than all that yeast, waiting for the dough to rise, cutting dough, rise again, deep fry, etc...?
I thought so.

double dip chocolate glazed doughnut muffins
print recipe

Muffins:
1/4 cup + 3 TB unsalted butter, room temp
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup + 1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup dutch cocoa powder
1 ½ ts baking powder
1/4 ts baking soda
1 ts cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
½ ts pure vanilla extract
½ cup whole milk
½ cup buttermilk

Glaze:
4 TB butter; melted
1 cup + 3 TB confectioners’ sugar; sifted
A giant pinch of salt
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 TB hot water

Cook notes:
The next time I make these muffins I highly recommend using mini muffin tins or mini donut pans. I just think there was too much cake and not enough glaze. These would be perfect as donut bites, thus being able to glaze the mini donut all around. Also, keep in mind that these bake very fast. So please check them at the 10 minute mark! And watch the baking times if you do use mini muffin/donut tins.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
IN a bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt; set aside.
In a glass or cup, mix the whole milk with the buttermilk; set aside.
Line 12 muffin cups with muffin liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
In the bowl of a stand mixer or by hand, cream the butter, vegetable oil, and sugars till smooth.
Add in the eggs, vanilla extract, and mix well.
Stir half the flour into the wet/butter mixture, stir, then add half the milk mixture, then add in the remaining flour mixture, stir, and finally the remaining milk mixture.
Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into cups, filling the cups to the “almost” top.
Bake muffins until the tops are slightly springy to the touch, 13-16 minutes; rotating halfway through baking time.
If using mini muffins pans, bake 10-12 minutes; definitely check at the 10 minute mark.
Cool muffins for about 15 minutes before glazing.
For the glaze: in a shallow bowl mix the melted butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and water; whisk until nice and smooth. Dip the muffin tops in glaze and let cool and harden on wire racks.
For double dipping: reheat glaze in microwave for 20 seconds (or shorter) and re-glaze again.
The glaze takes a couple hours to harden up—worth the wait though!
Should make: 12-14 regular muffins or 24 mini

21 comments:

  1. Love these - especially that double dipping!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oolala gotta have. Pinning! I'll try this with my mini donut pans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- that glaze looks totally perfect! I'm not a huge donut fan, but I could get behind these!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love double dipped anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my experience, most chocolate donuts are dry so the glaze is the only redeeming factor! I'm sure that's not true for these...but a good glaze is ALWAYS better than a bad glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The double dipping is what makes these extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm all about glaze, frosting, dip, etc...the more, the merrier. I'd even triple dip these if I could :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh that glaze. i'm totally with you, it's the glaze that makes these :) doubbbbble dip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Double dipping - genius! I have to make these for my kiddos... they love donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm an ardent supporter of double dipping, and this is a welcome spot for it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an excellent idea. I'm not a donut fan, but a donut muffin I might be able to get behind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Je te souhaite un agréable WE

    Valérie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A new way to look at double dipping...my oh my. Don't those look divine??

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful looking muffin! The glaze looks perfect!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  15. Waw!! With a double dipped glaze! That glaze itself looks rather fabulous & those muffins look insanely divine!

    How can anyone resist eating at least 4???

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know I'm a goner when I find myself re-visiting a post and drooling...

    ReplyDelete
  17. That glaze is killing me - yum! So wish I had one of these for breakfast tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum!! I don't mind diving head first into one of these - - and chocolate for breakfast ... I think that's a GREAT idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG, this totally brought me back. I used to eat old fashioned donuts all the time when I could afford (weight-wise) to do that kind of thing. My kids would go crazy for these!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am currently waiting for the glaze to harden ... can't wait. One of the muffins was wonky ... I had to eat it (for the greater good of course) warmish glaze and all. Delicious. The glaze actually tastes buttery. I may never be able to go back to commercial glaze.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This