1/19/12

crispy coated pita chips (with lots of coating!)

IMG_6071-1

Being that we're all foodies here, I'm so sure that you, like me, are very guilty of over-buying groceries, knowing that when you buy them you are MOST certainly going to use them straight away. You get home with all your groceries, happily and proudly placing them in their respective compartments; feeling good about placing them there and then order a pizza. Yes? Happen a few times to me too. The pita bread in this recipe are such a story. And of course pita goes stale very quickly and you have to use it right away or store in the freezer to never be seen again until you start some crazy fad diet and are starving, thus looking into the freezer many months later for FOOD.
The pita was stale a few days later and I was NOT going to throw them out, so the idea of homemade pita chips came into my mind. Never having made them before, I wasn't sure what coating should or should not go on them. And what I found out was literally any coating can go on them---the pita is the sponge to all things spice, sweet, savory, and a combo of any. Excellent.
I had always wanted to REMAKE the pita chip (much like the Dorito chip) that has a LOT of stuff on them. I absolutely hate buying pita chips (new or new/improved flavors!), with great expectations, only to open said bag and realize it's just a pita chip with a gentle coating or salt and some untraceable spice. Where's the coating? I am not going to consume calories for nothing--give me coating or give me death! Ok, not death, but give me my money back so I can go home and make my own.
What learned creating these tasty lil nuggets? I learned that unused salad dressing, and I know you all have at least 4-5 bottles just sitting away in your fridge right now waiting to be used, makes the best coatings. You knew that already though? I didn't. Salad dressing, along with a little garlic, maybe a little cheese, and maybe a little heat too. Easy peasy. BUT the best part? I think most of you will agree here on this one: you can make your pita chips a little on the burnt side. Oh yeah. I LOVE a the occasional burnt chip. Heavenly. Right?

IMG_6055-1

IMG_6062-1

IMG_6065

extra coated pita chips
print recipe

package of pita bread, sliced into triangles
salad dressing (whatever salad dressing you want or oil & vinegar)
2-5 TB chopped garlic (use as much as you desire)
a few dashes of hot sauce, optional but wonderful
2-5 TB Parmesan cheese (or whatever cheese you want), grated fine
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large, but shallow bowl mix all the ingredients well. Take the pita chips and dunk them in bowl one by one or using a thongs many at a time. Make sure to coat them well. You will need to keep stirring the mix since the oil will keep going to the top and the stuff sinking to the bottom. Place them on the baking sheet, leaving enough room in between to let them crisp up.
Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until they are browned; I like mine a tiny bit burnt so I baked them longer. They cook up fast, so don't leave the oven! Let them cool a bit before eating.
They keep a few days in plastic ziplock bag. Have no idea if they freeze well; I doubt it.

26 comments:

  1. I want these right now. Great snack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those look awesome. CRUNCHY and with seasonings because it's not worth eating unless it's well seasoned and well coated. Condiments, seasonings, sauces...are my friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the picture is making me hungry. I might have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh hello! thank you from the bottom of my salty tooth. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a sucker for Stacy's cinnamon sugar pita chips but I have yet to find a savory pita chip that I adore! Until now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The salad dressing! What a great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh yeah...the more coating the better sista!

    ReplyDelete
  8. On my way to the grocery store to pick up the dressing as its the only thing I don't have. My kids and I are having these with lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a fine way to spruce up pita chips! i like the idea of using different kinds of salad dressing--each would change the flavor drastically!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great! I'm already creating tons of flavor combos :) yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seriously?! Dislike you. Pita chips are one of my favorite snacks. Don't tempt me, woman!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea Dawn! I would never have thought of salad dressing. I often buy the Stacy's brand when I am catering because I don't feel like coating and cutting a million pitas, but they are so boring tasting and you are right. Not worth the calories. I would take yours any day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Un excellent plateau, je ne connaissais pas et vais de ce pas retenir l'idée
    Je te souhaite un agréable Week-End
    Valérie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of using salad dressing as a coating! I recently just dry baked pita wedges, but this coating looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice job, these look so addicting and delicious!

    Oh, and I'm totally the same way with groceries... :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look awesome. I never thought to use dressing (and I love Newman's dressing) to make baked pita chips. Totally giving it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could not be trusted around a batch of these. I can see myself growing crazy addicted to them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh, great idea with the salad dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. mmm, all that garlic on that chip is calling out to me!! addictive, for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. yum, these look delicious! definitely trying these sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great use for leftover/hard pita!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Joseph's Pita Breads are my fav store bought pita...your chips look so YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now that is how you make a lowly pita a king!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This