1/8/12

apple fritters

apple fritters

Extra crunchy apple fritters mind you. Just have to have my apple fritters done extra crunchy. It's that crunch mixed with that sweet sugary glaze--the perfect bite. A bite that gets the saliva, in the back of your mouth running full time because it knows whats coming and it is so ready! That first bite of warm, crisp, apple fritter covered in a sugary sweet almost hardened glaze? Oh yeah baby. So happening. These--are way better than any fair fritters.

Do me a favor? Make these next weekend. Trust me everyone in the house will come to the table for these. They are not too hard to make; the only hard part (if you want to call it hard) was the the deep frying. But all you have to do is test a small batch first and see if the dough is ready. Then all you have to do is just set up camp at the fryer and watch them. Do not walk away from the fryer as these cook up fast; depending on the size. I got this recipe from pioneer woman. , only made a few adjustments and made mine fritters a bit bigger. I used pink lady apples as they are sweeter with more tart--I really wanted to taste an apple-ly like taste to the fritters knowing I was going to make them extra crunchy. But feel free to use whatever apples you like.

apple fritters

apple fritters

apple fritters

apple fritters

apple fritters

apple fritters

apple fritters
adapted from pioneer woman
print recipe

fritters
2 cups AP flour
½ cup white sugar
2-1/4 ts baking powder
1-1/4 ts salt
2 ts cinnamon
2 large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
2 ts vanilla extract
3 TB melted butter, cooled
2 regular size pink lady apples, peeled, rough chop (use any apple you like)

glaze
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 ts salt
1/4 cup PLUS 3 TB half & half (or more depending on how thick or thin you like glaze; I like mine thick)

In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
In a separate bowl, mix the eggs with milk and vanilla extract, then add in cooled melted butter; mix well.
Fold in the dry with the wet ingredients; only mix till just combined. Lumps are fine. If you overmix you will have tough chewy fritters—that’s a no no. Next fold in the chopped apples.
Heat about 3-4 inches of canola oil over medium to medium-low heat.
When it gets hot, drop a little drop of batter into the oil. If it sizzles immediately and rises to the top, the oil is ready; if it burns quickly, turn down the heat.
Drop oversized tablespoons of batter (using an ice cream scoop, medium size, helps a lot, if you don’t have an ice cream scoop you can use two spoons to roll out the scoops of batter) into the hot oil. Only do about 3 -4 fritters at a time. They cook fast about 1-1 ½ minute per side or if you want extra crispy about 2 minutes per side—if that? Make sure to flip them.
Remove and drain on a paper towels or brown paper bags. Let these cool a bit before the glaze bath.

For the glaze:
Mix all the glaze ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Mix well. Then quickly dunk each fritter and let them rest on wire rack with cookie sheet on bottom to catch drippings.
Don’t let the fritters sit too long in the glaze as they will get soggy.

30 comments:

  1. That first photo grabbed me the minute I scrolled down to the bitten fritter. The inside texture looks amazing. And the glaze looks pretty darn tasty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I love apple fritters and love that you made them at home and that glaze...I'll take a bowl of that, please!

    I never fry anything. Not a health consideration. It's a grease burn consideration. I seem to be able to splatter grease all over my stove and arms with great ease :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At the restaurant I worked at we had apple fritters on the menu. We would make an apple fritter sundae with them too! Apples and butterscotch with vanilla ice cream, gotta try that one Dawn!! Yours look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These make me want to rewind to October. I want to make these and then pick pumpkins :) Delicious Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you trying to kill me?! Haven't you heard I'm detoxing right now?! Alas, these will go on The List of things to make and eat when I am once again able to chew and swallow like a normal person. They look fantastic, Dawn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth. It's watering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. holy hell they look so amazing. i made sw potato cinn rolls this am with maple cream on top... but you might have me beat ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are making my mouth water...that glaze just looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK, the whole 'eat before you look' twitter warning didn't help at all. Gaaah! I will be thinking of fritters all day, now - curses!! *shakes fists at screen*

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 11 year old son's favorite favorite food is an apple fritter! I never thought about making them myself. Thanks to The Online Pastry Chef for sharing your blog and this post. I will definitely be trying out your recipe. Photos are fantastic too! Thanks-

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmmmm, apple fritters are my favorite. FAVORITE.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmmm. Ahhhhh.Ohhhhh. I will have to make these soon. Wonder if I can have enough will power to only eat 5?

    ReplyDelete
  13. So ummm. Hmm. I've never actually HAD apple fritters. Of any sort. Isn't that sad? And awful? and totally an excuse to make these tomorrow and eat the whole batch to make up for lost time?

    ReplyDelete
  14. That first picture is making me drool....they just look amazing Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sheesh, those DO look good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These sound so incredible! I re4member many an apple fritter from the St. Jacobs farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It has been a long time since I had an apple fritter! These look so good Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy crapola those fritters look SO DAMN GOOD! Deep frying scares me, but I think I might risk it for these topped in glazey goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are all kind of awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i NEED. yum! i never fry things, but for this.. i might make an exception :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bien originale ton idée
    Je te souhaite un excellent mardi
    Valérie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whenever I visit your blog, I get distracted by the title picture and forget to go down while I'm drooling ;D
    And these fritters look absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These babies would be very dangerous for me... I'd probably eat them all!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The fact that I can't pull one of these out of my computer is so upsetting to me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. i do love apple cake, but apple cake that's been fried and glazed is lands, oceans, and skies beyond. excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i really like your food pictures and want to invite you to try out tastingspot.com. it's for anyone who wants another place to submit photos and share it will other foodies. It’s still in beta version, but would love for you to start adding some photos and help get it going.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh. my. goodness. These look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those apple fritters are looking perfect! I could really go for a few of those for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have two types of favorite sites. These are cooking portals and dating platforms, have a peek at this web-site. I like to cook and I love to meet new people. And these two types of resources provide me with the best information in this respect. Every day I receive new recipes and a lot of compliments. What can be better? It is fun and excitement. And what sites do you like?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This