10/31/11

chocolate covered pumpkin-walnut bars

chocolate covered pumpkin-walnut bars

I had started out wanting to make pumpkin cookies with no chocolate, but thought you gotta have chocolate chips/chunks when you make pumpkin cookies--I mean they just go so well together. Then I wanted to do butterscotch chips in pumpkin, and then finally I settled on bars. My mind changes so fast. To be honest, I'm not that into pumpkin. Butternut squash I love, just not pumpkin. The only time I made an exception is when I made the pumpkin cheesecake with nutella glaze--Oooo that was good. Just about anything in cheesecake form is good though.
These bars are good, if you like pumpkin. I got the thumbs up from several friends; I was not a good taste tester on this one given my lack of enthusiasm for pumpkin. But I am making pumpkin recipes for you. Ya'll requested them, and I'm delivering. Couple more coming your way soon. Any pumpkin creation requests?

chocolate covered pumpkin-walnut bars

chocolate covered pumpkin-walnut bars

chocolate covered pumpkin-walnut bars
print recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 ts baking soda
1/2 ts baking powder
A scant 1/2 ts pumpkin-pie spice (this gives a ‘gentle’ spice flavor, if you like stronger add in a touch more)
A dash or two of cinnamon
1/4 ts salt + pinch
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
15 ounces pure pumpkin puree
¾ - 1 cup of rough chop walnuts, optional but wonderful (make sure to toast walnuts before using)
6-8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips or chunks

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin-pie spice, cinnamon and salt.
Using a spatula or an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add in the egg and egg yolk, mix till smooth.
Next add in half the pumpkin puree, mix. Then add in half the flour mixture, mix till just combined. Then add in the rest of the pumpkin puree, mix till just combined, then add in the remaining flour and mix till just combined. Do not overmix. Add in the walnuts and gently fold in.
Grease up a 9 X 13 baking pan
Spread batter into pan, making sure to get the edges. Using a wet spatula will help spread the batter.
Bake until mixture is puffy and edges are golden, 25-30 minutes. Or until a cake tester comes out clean or slightly clean.
As soon as the bars are done, remove from oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top, let them melt, then spread with spatula. Let chocolate topping harden before slicing into bars.

Makes about 15-20 bars depending on how you cut them.

20 comments:

  1. I love pumpkin---call me to be your taste tester next time! These look really really good. That melted chocolate frosting just nails it. Call me next time...really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well. You know my feelings about pumpkin. And butternut squash. And all things orange.

    I can totally taste test this for you if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin so I guess I would enjoy your bars.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks wonderful, how about pumpkin caramels?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, those look good, love the chocolate on top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. they look really moist! I think I might add more chocolate on top

    ReplyDelete
  7. seems easy and tasty,
    thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous bars! I love the ingredients used.Luscious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. OOoooh waw, Dawn!! These cake like pumpkin & walnut bars look ooh so wonderfully even fabulous!!!!


    I am so going to make these today because I have all of the ingredients in the house!
    Yummie! georgous pics too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, looking at these I can tell you had a Happy Halloween no?
    Guess what? I made your butterscotch banana bread this week, and it was simply delish! I had some for lunch today. Great recipe. I'm going to feature it on an upcoming post :D
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like pumpkin, but not in pie so I'll take one of these bars, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. yes, i'll totally be a taste tester ;) but i'd love to see more butternut creations!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds so yummy!! I love the contrast between the smooth chocolate and the pop of the pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look amazing!
    Can't wait to try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Que de jolies couleurs gourmandes
    Je te souhaite une belle journée
    Valérie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just about every pumpkin recipe I see has walnuts in it...I prefer pecans but am beginning to wonder if the slightly bitter taste of walnuts is a better choice.
    Keep the pumpkin recipes coming. I can never have enough.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I. WANT. THIS. NOW!!!! Packing is killing me and these would make me very happy!

    I wish I was moving near you so we could open a food truck but alas I am just moving to a new neighborhood down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wowza, them's some orange bars! i like the idea of chocolate and pumpkin together--it's rare and surprisingly tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YOu pumpkin hater you!!! :) Looks delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, This sounds and looks very tempting and festive, that nutella topping make me want to try!!
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This