7/11/11

spicy pecan cocada

spicy pecan-cocada

Literally cocada is the ultimate in coconut bark. It's a Mexican/Latin America candy/cookie that is bark-like--just like what I've made. It's very sweet, very coco-nutty, and I've always wanted to add a nut to it for texture and crunch. I've also wanted to add a tiny bit of heat to it as well, hence the spicy pecan. It is an oven baked goodie that is supposed to be served at room temp for chewy texture. And yes, it is very chewy, almost caramel like texture. If you have any loose teeth or fillings, think twice on chomping down on this one. The bark is a bit difficult to cut, you need a sharp, wet knife. The edges of the cocada are the best part; they get the most caramelization of the condensed milk paired with the coconut. Add in's are endless on this one--whatever would work with caramel flavor and coconut really.

spicy pecan-cocada

spicy-pecan cocada
adapted from http://scarlettabakes.com/cocada-simple-coconut-bark/
print recipe

2-14 oz. cans sweetened, condensed milk (approximately 3 1/2 cups)
1-14 oz. bag of sweetened, flaked coconut (approximately 5 1/2 cups)
1/2 c. light corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla extract
5-7 oz of spicy, toasted pecans (optional but amazing)

Preheat oven to 350°.
Line an 11” x 17” baking sheet with parchment paper. This is a very sticky candy/bark; non stick spray will NOT work—use parchment paper. Make sure to completely cover the baking sheet.
In a large mixing bowl, stir the condensed milk, corn syrup and vanilla together until well-blended. Fold in the coconut and spicy pecans. Mix well.
Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet.
Using a rubber scraper or wet fingers, push the mixture evenly across and into the corners of the pan. Bake for 25-28 minutes. Don’t let it burn. Check the cocada at the 25 minute mark.
The cocada will bubble as it bakes and turn a deep golden brown, with the edges becoming especially dark – it is done baking when the top appears golden throughout.
Allow the cocada to cool at room temp for a couple hours. Then I put it in the fridge to harden a bit before slicing.
Using a sharp, wet knife, slice the cocada into squares, carefully remove each piece from the parchment lining, and enjoy straight away or store in an airtight container.

40 comments:

  1. Its not nice to flash this deliciousness in front of the pregnant lady! I <3 coconut. Coconut in bark form? Sounds ridiculous good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want this NOW! One question though, the ingredients list says condensed milk, but the directions say evaporated milk! I plan on making this tomorrow! Thanks for another mouth watering, tongue wagging recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. erica you are pregnant you get to pig out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to eat a piece of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my question is where did you get the pecans? or what brand are they so I can look them up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bonnie- i got the spicy pecans at trader joes. you could make your own by toasting pecans in the oven that are coated with chili pepper/cayenne.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my well this looks so chewy and yummy that its a good thing its at your house and not mine! This is the kind of yummy sweetness that I cannot resist!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I probably wouldn't even bother to cut this. I'd just take bites out of it. Whole. What? I'm not sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Be still my beating heart, love these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. my dentist is gonna hate you...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh, those look addictive and so delicious! An addictive treat.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh wow, this is totally unique (at least to me!) and it sounds very yummy... right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really need to bring a towel to the computer when I view your blog. I am tired of the drool on my keyboard. Another amazing creation my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good grief. Sorry I dropped by today. Temptation personified.
    Coconut? Condensed milk? Nuts?
    Nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmm, this sounds good. I'd prob make it less sweet, but still delish nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just want to tear off those lovely golden crisp edges and eat them all first. Is that wrong? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  18. you had me at "ultimate coconut bark".

    ReplyDelete
  19. Whoa does that every look & sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. mmmmm. yes please. My garbage mouth husband can not eat these. I swear he chips a tooth eating butter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my heaven. I am such a sucker for anything coconut. Look at this craziness girl!! I wish I was your neighbor/taste tester.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks amazing! I bet is so tasty, my test bud are feeling it.Can I have a bite?

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh, swoon. this is like a chewy version of german chocolate cake frosting, which is clearly the best part of that creation. well done, dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks so chewy and delicious! I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to stop at just one piece of this lovely confection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my that looks real good. I have never heard of it. I am totally wanting to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i've never heard of this before! but i love coconut and this looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love coconut desserts. This looks phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sometimes you think you've seen it all, and sometimes you find something really original and fabulous like this :). I am such a coconut lover, I'd totally be all over this.
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such a delicious combination.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I had never heard of a cocada before, but I am soooo grateful that I stumbled upon your blog to learn all about it. I absolutely cannot wait to make this, and it looks like it would totally be worth losing a few teeth over!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These coconut cookies sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am totally going to have to feature this on my blog chica because it looks amazing. Especially love the added touch of the spicy nuts. Well done love.

    ReplyDelete
  33. These sound sensational. I love all the ingredients. This is the type of treat I could eat in one sitting. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This