6/5/11

teriyaki beef strips



I literally just made this for sunday dinner. Never would have thought to post it and share with you. Why? It's one of those dishes you make a lot and never think to post. But my cheerleading/peanut gallery/support team at home thinks otherwise and encouraged me to post this one. It sure is tasty, that sweet sticky glaze that forms on the tender beef while it's being grilled.... Oh yeah. So why not share something this good with others. Plus it's super easy; a snap to pull together. And everything can be done on the grill--those are my kind of easy dishes.
Serving grilled beef; I firmly believe if the meat is grilled and well-seasoned all you really need with it are grilled veggies and bread for all those juices. Okay potatoes too, but I'm kind of carb-watching.
And yes, I always plate my food kind of fancy. Ask hubby. Like the scene in the movie "The Birdcage" starring Robin Williams and Nathan Lane where they are trying to dress over nathan lanes character to be more manly, putting him in a suit so he won't appear to be so flamboyant. Clearly the suit looks fine until the camera pans down to the feet where he is wearing pink socks. And Nathan Lane turns and says: "Too much?" "Well, one does need a hint of color!". Love love love that part and adore the movie. It's how I feel about plating food. One does need their food to be presentable, fashionable, more desirable? Too much? I could be in a buffet line, and I would make sure to arrange the food in a colorful fashion so each bite of food is well blended with the other foods on the plate. Ask my hubby, at times while we are dining out, I've been guilty of taking his plate, rearranging the proteins with the veggies and making sure to drizzle on the right amount of sauce or even if there is too much sauce scraping some off to the side for later, should it be needed. I know, bad habit. I just love to properly plate foods and desserts. It makes it more appealing. Perhaps in a past life I was a trained culinary chef....yes, I had to be.

teriyaki beef

So with this dish, its so simple. You must make this this summer. All I ask is that you marinade your beef at least 5 hours. It's needs to get nice and tasty or as Emeril says "happy happy".

teriyaki beef

terriyaki beef

teriyaki beef strips
print recipe

7 strips sirloin beef (about 1 ½ to 2 lbs)
¾- 1 cup of soy sauce
1 & ½ TB of chopped garlic
3 TB of fresh ginger root, chopped
¼ cup plus 2 TB packed dark brown sugar
2-3 TB honey
Couple dashes of ground black pepper

Cook notes: If you want it spicy, just add a few pinches of red chili pepper flakes to the marinade. Also serve with grilled bread. Dip the bread (quickly) in some of the cold marinade then grill. So good. Put the grilled bread on the bottom of the plate to sop up the juices from the grilled beef. I’ve also taken the marinade and reduced it down for a fabulous side sauce. I've also broiled this steak--it cooks very fast so literally watch it. I've also grilled them up in a cast iron pan, about 5 minutes per side. I've never fried them; steak tips don't stay that moist when frying unless they are in tiny strips and get cooked very hot and fast.

Mix all ingredients in a glass or ceramic dish. Mix well until sugar is dissolved. Then add in beef strips. Cover and place in fridge. Every 3 hours turn beef over. Marinade at least 5 hours or longer.
When ready to eat just grill until done, about 4 minutes each side for med-rare.
Serve with grilled veggies. Any kind of veggie really will do: red, yellow, orange peppers, red onions, asparagus, corn, etc…

26 comments:

  1. hehe :) I love that movie too- it never gets old. I wish I had more patience with plating dishes to make them pretty/presentable! I usually just want to eattttttt. I love the idea of having the bread on the bottom of this one to soak up the juices. Great Sunday dinner

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were quite correct to encourage you to post this! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks sooooooo yummy! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOu are too funny. You can come to my house and be my honorary food plater. I am loving the stickiness of the beef. total yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love you!
    I would give anything to eat this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good! When you post a link for your recipe, please add the picture-so we can remember how yummy the recipe looked!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad you posted this... I may make it for dinner this week! I too always take time to plate my food nicely - it's more fun to eat that way.

    That is my favorite scene in that movie - I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always carb watching also. As in I watch lots of carbs enter my intestines. And am very pleased about it. Until the food coma hits.

    Love these strips! That sauce sounds fantastical!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! We had a version of these at our potluck last night. So effing good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha great movie quote! yum...i'm going to have to try the fresh ginger

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the time I cook something and think, boy, I really should have put this on the blog. And I'm so happy you did, because this looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I linked over from Pam @For The Love Of Cooking. This looks delicious! I am going to make this for dinner tomorrow night- I know my family will love it! Don't feel bad about "styling" your food...I do the same thing!


    Kim in MD

    ReplyDelete
  13. Consider it done. My plating skills are not perfected but wouldn't alter the flavours packed in every bite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been looking for an grilled Asian beef recipe, so perfect for summer! Have you ever adapted it for those sans-grill? Thanks to the peanut-gallery for encouraging you to post this, can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to try this It looks wonderful!

    When I taught cooking, I used to tell my students that you can serve hot dogs and baked beans and make it look wonderful and you can serve prime rib roast and have it look ordinary.

    Sue E.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow looks really great! Before I read your description I thought the bread looked like bone marrow, which would also be really delicious I think

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your idea about plating. And such a lovely presentation here. Your are feeding some lucky mouths! and eyes!

    This recipe also look scrumptious. I am definitely going to put this on my to-try list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. boy, i wish i had my very own teriyaki juice soaker upper. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. A delicious marinade! Those beef strips must have tasted really good.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh that is fabulous! My kind of summer eating

    ReplyDelete
  21. drooling. and i wish i took more care plating for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This marinade looks and sounds heavenly Dawn. Thank goodness your peeps encouraged you to share it. Because now I can make all this deliciousness for myself at home.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Birdcage! A classic. Nice Sunday dinner. You get a lot of flavor in just a few ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made this for dinner tonight...SO delicioulsly flavorful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This