4/11/11

chocolate pistachio fudge (my way)

chocolate-pistachio fudge


Do you like fudge? I don't, really. I find it too sweet. Those fudge shops that you see in the malls and outlets, I cringe when I get near one because of that overwhelming smell of corn syrup. It's just so strong for my nosebuds. And here comes the second part: I do like a lighter fudge, a less sweeter fudge. Let me explain. For me, I think the whole purpose of a good fudge should be a good balance of butter (yes butter), sugar, vanilla (or chocolate or whatever flavor you are making), cream, and some sort of texture. I firmly believe fudge should always have some texture, if not then it's just a block of sugar. Ick. So, with all that said I think I have found a "lighter" version of fudge with a buttery, milky taste; not over-powered by sugar. The consistency is NOT creamy like standard fudge, but more flaky/airy which is perfect for the melting-in-your-mouth factor. Rest assured once you taste it you won't really care that the texture is different because this fudge literally melts away in your mouth. (that was the best part after all this experimenting).
So where do you stand on fudge? Love it hate it? You might want to give this a go if you are on the fence--this might change your mind about all that corn-syrupy fudges. I can tell you this does NOT taste like a block of soft, chocolate sugar. I think you'll love this kind of fudge.

Note: I did NOT get this recipe off a Hershey's can; it's a bit different than that one. I played around with my molasses-peanut chew recipe and came up with this fudge recipe.


chocolate-pistachio fudge
print recipe

5 TB salted butter
1 TB butter to grease ceramic/glass dish
5 and ½ ounces high quality semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup cream
1 & ½ cup white sugar
1 ts high quality vanilla extract
Giant pinch of sea salt
1 or 1 ½ cup of salted, roasted pistachios (use as much or as little as you desire)

Remember this is hot sugar, never touch the hot sugar, never be tempted to taste test, and always use oven mits.
Butter an 8-by-8-inch or 8 x 9 baking dish, set aside. Get out a candy thermometer and clip onto pot.
In a large heavy duty pot (with high sides preferably) combine the butter, chocolate, cream, sugar, and salt. Place over a medium heat and stir constantly and CONSTANTLY scraping the bottom of pan. (You will be doing this for a while). Let it boil and cook until the temperature reaches around 247 -249 (soft ball stage). Once it hits this temperature remove from heat
And add in the vanilla extract (it will make a lot of noise and sizzle, just add in and stand back then stir in)
Once mixed, add in the pistachios, stir, then pour the hot mixture into your prepared buttered baking dish.
Let cool off at room temperature. Should take a couple hours to harden up.
Gently lift it out of baking dish and transfer to a wooden board or plastic cutting board. It might be hard to lift out, I just turned the dish upside down and let gravity pop it out.
Using a sharp knife to cut into little squares. You should get about 20-25 little squares?

24 comments:

  1. I actually haven't eaten much fudge in my life. But I DO know that I am not a fan of corn syrup. I try to avoid it like the plague. I'd much rather have butter and flaky delicious pistachio fudge instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. chocolate and nuts...fantastic)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kind of intrigued. I've never been a fudge fan and am wondering if your take on it would win me over. I do love me some pistachios :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE pistachio fudge! Looks so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i do love fudge, but i agree that it can be way too sweet and i HATE corn syrup.
    yours looks super good, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh, this looks like the recipe we used to use waaayyy back in the 60's. It was off the Hersheys cocoa can! When I was a kid, it was a fun Saturday night tradition, my older brother would make the fudge and a big pan of popcorn! Great salty sweet memories! Thanks.

    QofEverything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found a similar recipe a while back and haven't wavered since, even with the pistachios. They are a yummy, rich nut that pairs well with the fudge. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a big fudge gal, but if I'm going to have it, I agree it has to have some texture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha ha - fudge is dividing in my family. kinda a running joke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fudge and cooked fudge like this is the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a huge fudge lover. It is my weakness. I love your version. Melts in your mouth? Sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love fudge! Especially like this when it melts in your mouth. I'm not a fan of pistachios though so I would leave those out. Other than that, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just happen to have pistachio nuts in my pantry... this fudge looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is exactly why I have NOT been much of a fudge fan. Way too sweet. I like how you remade this so that it's more airy and less sugary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the texture of traditional fudge (and it looks like you definitely got that part right) but it's the nauseating sweetness that usually keeps me away from it. This recipe looks awesome! And with pistachios?! Even better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will always be the first in line for maple walnut fudge, but then all flavours are a favourite. I like the aspect that this fudge is not cloyingly sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. interesting! i haven't eaten alot of fudge, but i think i would like your version alot :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. fudge isn't my favorite confection, but pistachios are my favorite nut and that's no lie. i love the color contrast here--nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  19. More chocolaty goodness! The green pistachios look really good encased in the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't like fudge either so I'll have to try yours

    ReplyDelete
  21. Traditional fudge is way too rich for me and I don't really enjoy it either, so I should try yours!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So like, how do you have such consistently drool worthy food on your blog? Your killing me. You are the food temptress!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow! this is a total keeper!! I've never made fudge in my life and i was a bit nervous, so i did half the recipe (and it wasn't too sweet just right!) I used 2% milk so that would work for this. I added the pistachios (a lot i love 'em!)and the fudge was a bit thick, not liquidity like i thought it'd be! and am currently letting it chill in on the counter top. One biggg tip I'd suggest is to use a heavy bottomed pan, that is not non stick or aluminue or those flashy silver pots. You need a nice heavy duty pot, that you'd use for stew or soup. Mine is Iclandic and black, so it heats through evenly. ^^ thanks so much I'm really excited to share this fudge with my sister! :D

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This