11/17/10

pumpkin and vanilla oreo ice cream

pumpkin ice cream 3
Are you tired of pumpkin yet? Can I squeeze in one more recipe? I have to be honest, back in early October I was so not into pumpkin at all. Then I made that fabulous pumpkin cheesecake with nutella ganache and there in started the pumpkin cravings. So I guess I'm way behind all of the other food bloggers who are already onto egg nog, peppermint and mocha. Mocha eh? Hmm what can be made with mocha that is seasonal? Has to be a mocha-peppermint cheesecake in there somewhere right? Gosh what a fabulous idea. I'm on it people!
IMG_4547
pumpkin ice cream 5
This ice cream came about from J.P. Licks infamous ice cream joint in Jamaica Plain, MA. They had made a pumpkin ice cream with oreos. There is a video of the place J.P. Licks here wandering foodie. They don't mention what flavor Oreo they use, but to be honest I just thought the chocolate Oreo's would be a little overpowering in the gentle pumpkin flavored ice cream, so that's what made me choose its vanilla twin. This ice cream is very rich, hence a custard-like taste. Using the 5 egg yolks create this nice custardy taste. You could easily serve this for a thanksgiving dessert, with or without the hot fudge sauce on it.
Notes: I hate storing ice cream in plastic in the freezer. I much prefer glass has a better flavor, but that's just me. Should you not want to use the Oreo's you could easily use mini chocolate chips or even white chips. Experiment is key here and have fun.
pumpkin ice cream 4

pumpkin & vanilla oreo ice cream
print recipe

1 ½ cups half-and-half
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup buttermilk
5 regular egg yolks
4 ounces sugar
1 ts pure good quality vanilla extract
½ ts cinnamon
3 dashes of pumpkin spice
2 good pinches of sea salt
½ cup pumpkin puree
1 – 2 cups of crushed vanilla Oreo’s (depends on how much cookie you want in ice cream)
A candy thermometer

In a pot, over medium heat mix the half-and-half, heavy cream and buttermilk. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.
In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Add in the sugar and whisk well to combine thoroughly. Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about ½ of the cream mixture has been added. Once added then pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Keep stirring, not whisking. You want to cook this until you have a temperature of 170 -175 degrees F. Also the mixture should, by now be thicker and will coat the back of a spatula and/or spoon nicely. Recipe by dawn finicane of vanillakitchen.blogspot.com Add this point add in the vanilla extract, cinnamon, salt and dashes of pumpkin spice. You may or may not need more pumpkin spice—go ahead and taste test and see if you like it.
Pour the mixture into a container and allow to sit at room temperature for about 30-40 minutes uncovered.
Place the mixture into the refrigerator and cover tightly. Store in fridge for at least 5 to 8 hours (I’ve done this overnight and it’s fine). When you are ready to pour mixture into ice cream maker get your pumpkin and crushed cookies ready. Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions. This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes. At the last 5 minutes of churning I add in the pumpkin puree and crushed cookies.
Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.
Should make little over a quart.

63 comments:

  1. I mean...if you need someone take that off your hands...I could volunteer :) That sounds so good! I got sick of pumpkin for a bit, but I'm back loving it

    ReplyDelete
  2. SERIOUSLY? oh yum. you outdid yourself on this one! Must try soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dios mio, que maravila, esto es una perdición.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot! You couldn't find a holiday dessert like this in the store. Looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great looking dessert! All the flavors are screaming Fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i GOT to say your blog is awesome...I will be following you for now one.

    Check my page out as well..

    Peace
    Missy
    http://throughanindielens.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks to die for amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy shit (sorry for my potty mouth) I WANT THIS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am in paradise right now with that recipe!! Where a bouts do you get pumpkin spice from?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am I in Heaven? Someone pinch me. I think I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can hear the ice cream maker in the fridge right now. Taunting me. This will be made this holiday. Although I will not be bringing it to thanksgiving. I will be hoarding it in my apartment and eating it all myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this should be on every grocery shelf year round.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's too soon for eggnog season. Yeah for pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well hell..your ahead of me..I have yet to make a pumpkin recipe yet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this sounds amazing! i'd devour it for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my goodness, this looks amazing! this is one of the best-looking ice creams i've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  17. If it comes at me like this, I will never get tired of pumpkin. This looks and sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a killer combination. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i nv really like pumpkin, but the ice cream looks so good :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. i'm so wishing i hadn't taken my ice cream maker bowl out of the freezer... who tires of pumpkin?? not me! keep it coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. WHOA. i will never tire of pumpkin, and that sounds DELICIOUS. your blog makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My friends all know I'm not a huge fan of pumpkin pie. But pumpkin ice cream? And with Oreos? I am sooooo there!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pumpkin ice cream sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  24. everything about that looks good!

    http://homesweethem.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is not possible for me to tire of pumpkin, so keep the recipes comin'! As for this ice cream, words cannot describe how much I want to dive into a bowl of it RIGHT NOW. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. OH WOW--this looks outstanding. I think if I make this recipe, it'll take my love for ice cream to a whole new level! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nope. I'll never get tired of pumpkin. Nor will I ever get tired of ice cream. I look forward to pumpkin ice cream every year and I ate as much of it as I could before we left Maine and no longer had a freezer : (
    I need to try my hand at ice cream in the camping ice cream maker ball.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been waiting patiently for this one - thanks for sharing, Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's been warm here (50 ha! ha!) and I've been craving ice cream again. This one will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Squeeze it in, squeeze it IN! More pumpkin please. We all have until the end of the month before pumpkin needs to go away, so might as well do it up.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Keep those pumpkin recipes coming! Definitely not sick of them yet. This ice cream looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow....speechless!!! What a winning combo of an icecream.... :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Just when I thought I was sick and tired of pumpkin... this looks delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Is it ok if I make that picture my screen saver? Because all I want to do is look at it all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Is there a word stronger than decadent? This would fit that bill :) That ice cream looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Pumpkin ice cream is great. Those toppings however, take it over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  37. i would gladly huddle over my space heater just to consume this cold and creamy creation.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Add coconut powder and some dry fruits to enhance the taste. However, I like this recipe as it was.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This looks delicious! I love ice cream and I love oreos and can't wait to try this. I just posted my recipe for oreo fudge on my blog if you're interested!
    Michelle
    www.dreamingofwhitechocolate.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a fabulous combo! I'm addicted to the vanilla Trader JoJos and they would be so yummy with pupmkin!

    ReplyDelete
  41. i'm sitting here drooooling over your blog and awesome recipes! i want those poptarts for breakfast, and instead of a pie, i want to make that cheesecake. wow!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Damn it, Dawn!!! Why must you tease me like this? I need an ice cream maker ASAP!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. What an excellent combo! I would love many many scoops! YUMMY YUM YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  44. There can never be enough pumpkin recipes, if I had to say no more...it would have to end with this incredible dessert. Beautiful. I hope you have a lovely Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  45. That ooozing chocolate looks so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Well, doesn't that just hit the spot?? Amazing and I wish I was serving that tomorrow! Oh well, there's always next fall, right?
    Have a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  47. This is so beautiful. You did such an amazing dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  48. I think the white Oreos was a good choice, it sounds wonderful! Happy Thanksgiving Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I am never tired of pumpkin. This is a great idea, and I love any excuse to have ice cream. Thanks for sharing, and Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  50. omg you kill me with al this yumminess!! I think a trip to visit you needs to be in the works - after all, I am a lot closer to you now!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. YUM! I'm craving for that ice cream now! Love it esp. the oreos! Must've tasted outstanding [=

    ReplyDelete
  52. I can imagine how this tastes like!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Seriously, this is probably the most beautiful picture I've ever seen. Food or otherwise.
    (The flavor combinations don't hurt either, I'd eat every drop if I had it around.)

    ReplyDelete
  54. It's 9 am and I have a sudden craving for pumpkin ice cream - yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. i want this now! minus the oreos...

    ReplyDelete
  56. I just have to say, YOU are so very creative with pumpkin! I have never tasted pumpkin ice cream and feel like I'm missing out big time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  57. How do you do, what you do?!?! I'm always so intrigued when I see each of your new recipes.

    As always ... this look delectable!!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Yum! Looks so appetizing. Pumpkin and oreo is a bizarre combo but i'll try it out and I'm sure it'll taste delectable. Check this out

    ReplyDelete
  59. I stumbled upon this delightful pumpkin and vanilla Oreo ice cream recipe, and I couldn't resist leaving a comment. It looks absolutely mouthwatering, and I can't wait to try it out for myself this fall season!
    How to Add Money to Cash App Card at 7-Eleven

    ReplyDelete
  60. I'm absolutely delighted to stumble upon this blog post about Pumpkin and Vanilla Oreo Ice Cream on Vanilla Kitchen! It's a delightful twist on a classic flavor, and I can't wait to try making it myself.
    How to Make Discount Code on Etsy

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This