10/1/10

ham and cheese stuffed buttermilk pancakes

ham & cheese stuffed buttermilk pancakes

Ham and cheese buttermilk pancakes just in time for the weekend. How in the world did this creation come about? I am the type of food eater that loves a little bit of everything in one bite. Let's say it's thanksgiving: I'm going to put on my fork a little bit of turkey, some sweet potato, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and dip it all gently in a bit of gravy while having a bite of those buttered rolls. Yeah. See now that's how it's done. That's how all the chefs do it too. Next time you watch Top Chef watch the judges when they go and taste the dishes. They take a little bit of food from all that is on the dish in ONE bite; not only to see how it all tastes BUT to see if it all melds nicely together.
Any meal I eat I have to have various food flavors going on and eat them all at once. I am not one of those people that eats the meat first, then the vegetable, then the whatever.... That's eating to eat. I eat to savor, to mix, to meld, to satisfy every single craving I have in a day in one meal---if I can.
Get to the darn pancakes already! OK. We all know I love my sweet & salty fix--on an hourly basis, and breakfast is the most important meal for savory right? LOL. But I love pancakes with salty, fried ham, drenched in syrup!
So just like my love of having a peanut butter & jelly sandwich with a nice slab of sharp cheddar in there (try it, it's really good) I wanted to try and add a layer of cheddar cheese to the pancakes. So why not just make a nice thick, fluffy, greasy pancake with a little bit of ham and melted cheese in the middle? It's good to experiment right? Even the fussiest of fussy food eaters on the planet (my husband) loved it. So there.

ham & cheese stuffed buttermilk pancakes
print recipe

use your favorite buttermilk pancake recipe (this is a good one from alton brown)
a few slices of thinly sliced ham
a few slices of thinly sliced mild cheddar cheese
a few TB of butter for pan and for topping pancakes
pure maple syrup

make your pancake batter as you normally would. when you get ready to pour them onto the griddle: pour a little bit onto griddle, spreading out just a bit and quickly place a couple slices of the ham, then a slice of the cheese. top the pancake with just a little bit more of pancake batter to cover. you will have to spread the batter over and around the ham & cheese to make sure it's nice and covered. when bottom side of pancake is done carefully flip over. this takes some skill as you don't want to break apart the middle part.
serve with the butter and warmed maple syrup.

46 comments:

  1. Very beautiful and creative! The cafe I'm obsessed with makes a lot of mix dishes like this. Their most popular I think its their hotlanta sandwich: "fried chicken breast, apple wood smoked bacon,
    scrambled eggs & cheddar cheese with spicy mayo" Maybe your next adventure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, those look incredible, and what a creative idea! Pancakes should take a turn for the savory once in a while... I bet they tasted amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound just amazing. We've been on a weekend pancake kick for months, I'll definitely be trying this approach. Man, I wish I had some now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG... amazing! I could go for these right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a cousin who's main obsession in life is to find the perfect bite. He will put together different bits and pieces of every meal to seek it out. This reminds me kind of of that. A perfect bite. For sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You so crazy and I love it (have I told you that before?!) I was already planning on making buttermilk pancakes this weekend. No kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would totally make these if I could also have someone work out for me after that! DIVINE

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great way to spice up a buttermilk pancake! i'm all about pancakes with sweet additions like chocolate chips, blueberries, etc, but my boyfriend would absolutely love these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Que pintaza tiene esto, se ve exquisito.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  10. No words my friend...no words. OK, one: brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous Dawn! Many flavors in one bite, ~I like that~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhhhh, I am an all-in-one-=biter, too. And now I am dying for these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a little bith of both. I always eat my salad "first" but when it comes to the actual plate of food, I end up mixing and mashing together! What a fabulous creation by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I eat the same way you do! This looks utterly fabulous, Dawn. Kind of like a pancake Monte Cristo. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  15. are you KIDDING me?! this looks way too good to be true! How come nobody ever thought of this before? (maybe they did and I live under a rock) but that'a why I have your site (: Thanks a lot, this is just over the top delicious!

    -Amalia

    http://buttersweetmelody.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would have never thought to put the ham and cheese in a pancake, you are definately clever. I know this is mundane, but the ham is what reminded me. I enjoyed making ham/egg cups. put ham in a muffin pan add some cheese & onion or shallot, then the raw egg. bake 350 to 15 to 20 minutes check to make sure egg is mostly cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i'm the same way - i like a bite of everything in one! mish mosh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now, this is everything you'd want in breakfast -- in one bountiful bite! Genius idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow. i totally see how this works!! would've been perfect after my long ride this weekend... if only i had seen it then ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. i made this for sunday breakfast and it was pretty good!just that i am not a fan of mixing my savoury-s with my sweet-s and so this was not my plate of pancakes! for those who love the combination though, it will totally be worth you getting up on sunday morning to make these:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i am loving the sweet and salty combination too! yumms!

    ReplyDelete
  22. so you are like a squirrel..you pile all the food in your mouth at once!!! LOL. Love it. Love it.
    Love the pancakes. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks like an amazing breakfast...I'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look delicious! I love sweet and savory together and I want these. I made pancakes with crumbled sausage in these the other day- yuM!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I make really good pancakes, but I never thought of stuffing the stack with ham and cheese. I'll have to give it a go. I'm not sure about the cheese, but the ham is a definite, and I'm willing to try the cheese with an open mind.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Would have never thought of this Dawn but I like it. And I bet it was good. You really know how to think outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Haha...you weren't kidding about stuffed!!! Love it, love it, love it. I just wish I could eat meat again. I've got another month or so before I can again. Ugh. It's so tempting!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fabulous creation Dawn - love it!!! I'm more of a savory breakfast person so these are much more appealing to me than sweet pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yum! Love the ham & cheese inside that delicious stack of pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a comforting looking pancake. I'm sure going to try it out! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Where do you come up with these thigns girl! This creation has me drooling at my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh dear. One more of your unusual combos I am drooling over. Such fun and what a fabulous photo. No description needed!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'll have to try this recipe. It looks so yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yum. Oh man. This looks heavenly...

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am so there with you. I don't get it when people don't like their food to touch on their plate. I like to mix it all together! We would enjoy Thanksgiving together! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I must say I'm not typically a pancake fan, but these things look pretty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great one for breakfast! I would love to try. Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I LOVE this idea!!! Pancakes are my fave and I think adding ham and cheese to them will convince my husband that we can eat them more often! yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. you've invented a pancake monte cristo. in other words, i bow to your brilliance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. you are outta control! This looks awesome! You come up with the greatest food.

    ReplyDelete
  42. what a creative recipe, thanks for sharing !!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. YES! Cheese and pancakes is the best! I love this and usually make my pancakes with strong cheddar. Hubby didn't want to even taste it at first but he now begs for it!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh my gosh this is extra special pancakes!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This