5/24/10

falafel rollup w/ hummus, tzatziki and tahini-yogurt sauce


Mmmm. Just looking at these photos again I am just starved right now. I love homemade falafel balls. Either fresh from the deep fryer or cold from the leftover storage bin in the fridge--I don't care how, just love them. I can make a pretty good falafel sammie rollup. But you know what I love best about these gems? The fact that they can pretty much go with anything. I've added corn relish, sweet pepper relish, horsey sauce, etc.... But the best I've had so far is to add hummus and tzatziki AND some really good tahini-yogurt sauce. Oh the love of this combo people.
Please try this, I know you'll love it, and do me a favor? Experiment! Add on, take away, try new, etc...that's the best part.

Can we get a close up of the MONEY SHOT? You bet.


falafel rollups with hummus, tzatziki, and tahini-yogurt sauce
print recipe

falafel balls (are from mark bittman)

1 3/4 cup dried chickpeas
2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
1 small onion, quartered
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
Scant teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
1 cup chopped parsley or cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Neutral oil, like grapeseed or corn, for frying

For the falafel balls:
Put the beans in a large bowl and cover with water by 3 or 4 inches; they will triple in volume. Soak for 24 hours, adding water if needed to keep beans submerged.
Drain beans well (reserve soaking water) and transfer to a food processor. Add remaining ingredients except oil; pulse until minced but not pureed, scraping sides of bowl down; add soaking water if necessary to allow machine to do its work, but no more than 1 or 2 tablespoons. Keep pulsing until mixture comes together. Taste, adding salt, pepper, cayenne or lemon juice to taste.
Put the oil in a large, deep saucepan to a depth of at least 2 inches; more is better. The narrower the saucepan the less oil you need, but the more oil you use the more patties you can cook at a time. Turn heat to medium-high and heat oil to about 350 degrees (a pinch of batter will sizzle immediately).
Scoop heaping tablespoons of batter and shape into balls or small patties. Fry in batches, without crowding, until nicely browned, turning as necessary; total cooking time will be less than 5 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.

hummus
2 cups canned chickpeas, juices drained
Juice of 2 lemons
2 TB or more tahini paste
2 TB or less garlic, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste (It does not need much salt)

For the hummus:
In a food processor, fitted with a metal blade, combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini paste, and garlic. Process until smooth. With the machine running, add the olive oil, a little at a time. Season with salt and pepper. Spoon the humus in the center of a large platter. Arrange the black olives, red onion slices and fresh pita bread slices around the hummus.
Yield: about 2 cups

tzatziki sauce
16 oz. Greek style yogurt
1 cucumber, washed and peeled
3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 TB lemon juice
1 ½ - 2 TB chopped fresh dill
½ ts salt
A pinch or two of cayenne pepper (optional, but wonderful)

Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds with a small spoon. Then coarsely grate the cucumber. Gather the grated cucumber in a cheesecloth or paper towel and squeeze out the excess water, otherwise the tzatziki will be too runny. Get out as much water as you can, then mix the grated cucumber with everything else. It’s good to store this in fridge for about an hour to let all the flavors come together.

tahini-yogurt sauce
1-2 large garlic cloves, minced
3 TB tahini
1 cup plain yogurt
3 TB fresh lemon juice
½ ts paprika
Dash of hot sauce, optional but wonderful
Salt to taste
(I also love to add in a couple teaspoons of grated horseradish, this is up to you—it really tastes good though)

In a bowl, combine the garlic and tahini, then mix in the yogurt, lemon juice, hot sauce, and paprika. Taste, see if it needs salt. Then refrigerate for at least an hour for flavors to come together.

To assemble:
Use large mountain bread wraps other kind, but they should be the large size ones that are good for filling up the wraps with stuff. Spread a layer of the hummus, add in about 4 falafel balls, your choice of veggies (onions, carrots, black olives, lettuce, peppers, whatever you wish), then drizzle on some of the tahini-yogurt sauce. You can add on some tzatziki sauce, but I love to have mine on the side for dipping because I like a lot of on each and every bite.

Cook notes: You can also serve this rollup with fresh tomatoes slices, black olives, yellow onions, peppers, oh the list is endless indeed.
For a change in the flavor of your hummus add more garlic or add in your favorite pepper or onion or scallion (chopped of course and added in during the blending part). You can also add in eggplant or marinated artichokes to the mix for a really tasty mix.

72 comments:

  1. That money shot ROCKS girl friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had falafel. I know...it's a sin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this one! I love all of the above!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's that sound? That's the sound of me sooo stealing this for vegetarian banquet sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look great! I love to put those pink pickled turnips that you can get at middle eastern groceries in my falafal sandwiches, also basil and other herbs. . . copying my favorite Lebanese falafel place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried making falafel, look so yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love falafel, too...this looks outtathisworld!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. damn - I thought I was looking at a catalog to order falafel rollups w/hummus, tzatziki and tahini-yogurt sauce...high friggin five!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw these on flickr & it had me drooling

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want this for lunch!! I have been thinking about doing a similar wrap lately. Looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn you, Dawn, I'm STARVING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tahini yogurt sauce is one of my most favorite things ever! This looks incredibly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Falafel? Eaten, love it, actually never thought about making it at home... Great pictures- looks like you had a great meal...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a hearty sandwich and there's no meat...quite a feat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks amazing! I would love to try the yogurt tahini sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I looooove falafel! I just made tzatziki last week and while it was good, I wish I would have thought to add lemon juice...sounds like a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I with Jessica...I've never actually had falafel, but I know I'd love it. Especially with that yogurt sauce. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh! What a nice rollup...we love falafel...yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm totally making these, except I'm going to try baking them instead of frying...which I know will make a difference in texture, but hopefully not flavor! I

    ReplyDelete
  20. mark bittman is my god. he gets my husband cooking and his stuff is so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Delicious! I used to make falafel years ago when I was a student. It was fast, cheap and delicious. Haven't made them in years and now upon seeing this pic, I'm craving some. Thanks Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummy!! Having lived in Metro Detroit for oodles & it being the Middle Eastern capital outside the actual Middle East I ate like a sultan when it came to this. A fave restaurant of mine actually char grills the falafel. Oh my Lord!!! You must try it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. falafel, hummus, and tzatziki--three of my all-time favorite things, and they just so happen to go together beautifully. lovely roll of goodness, dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I haven't had falafel for so long - this. I am wishing I could have this for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  25. omg, totally delicious. wish i had that for lunch! instead it was mediocre thai for lab meeting... is it funny that we put hummus on falafel? i mean i do it too, but it's essentially chickpeas on chickpeas :)

    i gotta shoot you an email, I just signed up for a tri weekend on the cape, maybe we can meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Frying with corn oil would be a nice thing to try, especially for this. Awesome flavor. Ummm, this looks GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE falafel! But have never tried making my own. I may just give it a shot now, because this looks freaking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. i'm such a falafel snob -- have tried more than you'd even believe -- so i wonder how the home variety compares.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is a combination of all my favourites. I love to make this summery combination of flavours and love the look of these recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I would love to make my own falafel! Wow...girl, these are making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  31. A totally delicious looking wrap! I would love to try this for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It looks delicious and colorful. A great summer lunch!

    http://planbeventandcatering.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a lovely tempting lunch you've got there. Can I take a bite? I do love middle eastern food...especially prepared in this very casual fashion.
    Thank you for sharing and flavourful wishes, Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  34. There are times I just crave falafel because I love it so much. There's just something about its nutty taste, crispy texture coupled with the creamy tzatziki sauce that makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh yes, please and thank you. I will make my own hummus no problem, but have never made felafel - even though I love them so. Yours look gorgeous and not greasy which is not small feat. Our year in London saw me eating many a felafel and loving every single one. I am inspired to try my own.

    ReplyDelete
  36. my Palestinian friend introduced me to falafel years back and I still keep making them

    ReplyDelete
  37. Girl, you got some balls! (wink)hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi,
    Your blog is extremely tasty.
    Please check out my post from Tuesday May 25 called Sunny Days and Blogs and collect your One Lovely Blog Award.
    Enjoy visiting your blog very much.
    Have a good day.
    Love,
    Herrad

    ReplyDelete
  39. I imagine being hooked on these! Very tasty recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love falafel but I've never made it myself. This is absolutely gorgeous though, and I'm thinking that if I make it myself there'll be leftovers for lunches. :) (Maybe.) Thanks for the recipe and inspirational photos.

    ReplyDelete
  41. You must of read my mind! I'm having a craving for these that will not go away. These look crazy good!

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a tasty and healthy meal!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Congrats coz you have impressed me with your wonderful and yummy blogs! I will be looking forward for another yummy posts from you and definitely try it. Anyways, I have try this one and I really, really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congrats coz you have impressed me with your wonderful and yummy blogs! I will be looking forward for another yummy posts from you and definitely try it. Anyways, I have try this one and I really, really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  45. This is one of my favorite meals evah!

    ReplyDelete
  46. If I see falafels on the menu I will always gravitate towards them, although I have had some terrible ones in my lifetime. This recipe does not fit in the latter category. Delish:D

    ReplyDelete
  47. balls look great! everything look yummy and great !

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oooh, I made these last night. The chickpeas had been soaked about 3 nights before and processed 2 nights before, we planned on making hummus and kind of looked at the amount and said "well we'll make 1/2 into hummus and figure out what else to do with the other 1/2, there are only 2 of us to eat all that hummus!" To which we made these falafel, and they were delish. Used a very small saucepan and probably max 1 cup of oil required, to fry 5 small balls at at ime.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I will be looking forward for another yummy posts from you and definitely try it. Anyways, I have try this one and I really, really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  50. It was fast, cheap and delicious. Haven't made them in years and now upon seeing this pic, I'm craving some. thanx for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I think I'll whip up some of this tzatziki sauce and make a gyro.

    ReplyDelete
  52. The picture above is looking so delicious. Yummy! I want to try this dish...

    ReplyDelete
  53. Thought these turned out very yummy. Also skipped step 4 and used whole wheat bread crumbs. Used baking paper in the oven. Loved the texture the bulgur gave the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  54. This is a tasty vegan falafel that contains no eggs. serve on lebanese bread with tzatziki or tahini sauce, shredded lettuce and chopped tomato.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I just love hummus. Thanks for the brilliant recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Making foods like that really make me starving.Thank you for the information and the recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  57. I love to make this summery combination of flavors and love the look of these recipes! thanx for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I never had this one. But I'm sure its yummy..I love the sauce too. I'm going to try this one for sure! Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  59. I'm going to try baking them instead of frying...which I know will make a difference in texture, but hopefully not flavor! anyway thanx for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  60. The easier the better so if you know of any frozen falafel that's yummy. Or any of the mixes I have seen in the store. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  61. I will be looking forward for another yummy posts from you and definitely try it. Anyways, I have try this one and I really, really like it, thanx for all this.

    ReplyDelete
  62. as greek I am telling you that for the tzatziki sauce you should use white vinegar instead of the lemon

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  63. I liked this quite a bit; if you salt and pepper to taste, it bring out some nice, subtler flavors. I do think that the vegetable saute is a must, and I agree with others' comments that the sauce is pretty thin. I think I'll be leaving out the water next time.

    ReplyDelete
  64. jennifer:
    what water? where did you add water, to what sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  65. absolutely delish! Try it, you'll love it. Nice and easy and can easily be a family favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  66. Well, I just made tzatziki last week and while it was good, I wish I would have thought to add lemon juice, thanx.

    ReplyDelete
  67. It's a good base recipe. It has a good flavor and is simple to put together. My only complaints were that I didn't feel I had enough sauce and it tended to clump.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I've never tried making falafel, look so yumm! I want this for lunch!! I have been thinking about doing a similar wrap lately. Looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  69. It looks delicious and colorful. A great summer lunch.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This