11/4/09

crispy chicken rollups w/ buttermilk-blue cheese dressing

Not a very glamorous post indeed, but lately I've been strapped for time. Quick meals are my thing lately. When you get strapped for time, stressed, over-worked, etc... you tend to want to eat more comfort foods to well, comfort you. I'm in the process of finding a new home to buy to call my own (yeah!). No more crappy landlords, no more small kitchens, no more burning your money away on rentals.
I'm so guilty of eating bad foods when I'm stressed or lacking time. I've been trying to be good about it by making the comfort foods at home that are semi-healthy, but still tasty so I don't pig out. With all the working out I do I also have to make sure I get enough protein to help stop those cravings of being "prison hungry" and eating everything in sight. Granted this rollup isn't the healthiest, but it's better than my other choice of food which is a bag of salty pistachio's with a couple cans of ginger ale and some dark chocolate. Nice eh?
For me, nothing says quick, satisfying comfort food like fried chicken breasts with crisp veggies, cheddar cheese and a good sauce, all rolled up in warm flatbread. There is this sauce/dressing that is always my go-to. I got it from Martha Stewart. It's good, it's really good, one of those dressings that keep you coming back for more, and finding new ways to use it.
So all I did was deep fry some battered up chicken breasts, let them cool, slice into strips. (I like to fry up a large batch and make them last throughout the rest of the week). Then pile them into a warm flatbread, add any veggies you crave, then that tasty sauce. (I did not add the chives to this, and I pureed the sauce it in a blender--wasn't up to having chunks this time around).

Buttermilk-blue cheese dressing
by Martha Stewart

3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped shallot (about 1 shallot)
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
1/2 cup crumbled domestic blue cheese

Whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, shallot, chives, lemon juice, coarse salt, pepper, and celery salt in a small bowl. Fold in blue cheese. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes.

I didn't even give you what fried chicken recipe I use. Sorry--see how busy and fried my brain is? I use Ms. Paula Deen's recipe found here . I double dip mine in the batter so I get twice the batter on the chicken as the crispy crust is the best part. Make a largee batch of them once, keep what you don't eat in the fridge, and use the rest (cold is great) for the next few rollups and/or sammies for the upcoming week. I've also just bought some of those chicken strips at Whole Foods and used them in this rollup when time is short.

48 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks amazing. I love anything blue-cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Want. For. Dinner. Please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strikes me that Martha Stewart is basically serving up a 'Twister' from KFC...that doesn't mean it's not delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Dawn. This is what I want for dinner. Right at this exact moment in time. How can we make that happen?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you kidding, these are awesome. I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mitts: trust me, that is not a KFC wrap. doesn't even look like one at all. theirs are so small and so veggie-less.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe this would remind my husband of chickfila and make him VERY excited :) I'm not showing him this pictue hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have to hand it to you. you have a way with words & your photography is very exciting...this "little ole" rollup looks so inviting....i love the "prison hungry" line...so true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, that looks great! I'd have that for dinner any night! I'm so on the quick and easy lately so I can relate! Good luck to you in your home search!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a nice quicky to me!
    But there is nothing wrong with the pistachio/ginger ale/chocolate dinner!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. To quote Rachael Ray: Good gravy, that looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best of luck on the house finding, buddy. With all the colder air (wearing a sweatshirt inside even) I know it's craving comfort food time. Chicken strip wraps like this are a great snack from the good old days :)

    Snack you say? Well we do eat 6 times a day right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were thinking of me when you where making this, weren't you? I love crispy chicken and roll ups are a perfect match for them. Yum!!! I want this for me dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't buy bottled salad dressing anymore. This will be a new one to introduce to my family. Looks so good, and I have chives growing out of control! Your KFC version is by far nicer and certainly now junk food.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those wraps look really good! I like how they have the perfect balance of meat, veggies and sauce even though i'm not the hugest sauce person. Good luck with the house hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just ate dinner a little while ago, but looking at this post I am now hungry again! Looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I completely empathize with the time-crunched-but-still-need-to-eat-relatively-healthy dilemma. My husband has had to resign himself to BLTs several nights a week when I get home late from class. I bet he would love it if I made this instead!

    But honestly, salty pistachios, ginger ale and dark chocolate actually sound very, very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy. I like to make these with frozen chicken strips and sometimes I like grilled chicken in them. Also adding bacon never hurt it either :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well, you definitely can't say this is "bad" food- in fact, it looks absolutely delicious :) I'd do something to put some heat in my chicken bits though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is a grogeous looking wrap Dawn, it has me drooling.

    Good luck with your house hunting. I hope you find the kitchen of your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is totally my kind of sandwich, I love crispy chicken in sandwiches & salads. Good luck on the house hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  22. well, this looks finer than what's offered in most delis and cafes and the like. it's funny to me that your quick meal involves deep frying. that's a massive undertaking for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Blue cheese dressing is my favorite but have never made it on my own. The wrap looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. MMmmm, LOVE. and now i'm hungry... can you make me one??

    ReplyDelete
  25. We all do it...when we're stressed or too busy for some reason the food easiest to make is comfort food- and usually caloric to boot. Oh well. Always have loved fried chicken and blue cheese is a favorite. Yummy roll-up!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum!! I'll take one please. Goooooood luck with the house hunting. It's certainly a good time to buy, but I imagine kind of a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like something the kiddos would be happy to eat for lunch!

    Thanks for the dressing recipe. I will be giving it a try.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  28. gosh, this looks awesome! a great weekday meal!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Mmnm, I'll take one please, it looks so tasty! Good luck with your house hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Roll one up for me will you? I know what you mean about eating trash food when you're stressed out, I'm the same :( Good luck with finding a great house!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. hey I wasnt getting your posts in my reader- I missed the scones and these roll-ups look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  32. First time I see this recipe. Looks great. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. This sounds like a perfect meal to me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am ALWAYS on the lookout for quick, easy meals. They are what I love the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks good enough for a restaurant - or better!

    ReplyDelete
  36. These sound super yummy with buttermilk-blue cheese dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. My hubby would love this blue cheese dressing. Sorry you are so stressed but it seems to come with the territory of house buying...sadly enough. Email if you want to chat. I can't wait to hear all about the new home you will find soon!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love it! Those kind of chicken strips are the bomb.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Can me and the cats come live with you? You make better food there than here. Lol! :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  40. Yum -double dipped battered chicken! This looks great Dawn. I am all about quick meals lately too. I think the days are shrinking, I just don't have the time any more to cook huge meals every night!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow. This is my type of rollup. It reminds me of college. There was place in our dorm that made awesome rollups with crispy chicken and and buttermilk dressing....mmmmhhh it was so so so good.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Those look mighty scrumptious! I'm drooling...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  43. As much as I love slaving over a hot stove, braising some dish, and hearing joyous cracking there are many times especially during the week that I just freaking want something quick that requires no time and little energy.

    I normally go to wraps too especially with leftover roasted chicken.

    Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  44. oh yum! This would so be something I would order out! Never thought of making it, thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. This sounds delicious!!! Mmmmm... I am going to try this over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I made these this past weekend. They were a huge hit at our house! Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. That chicken looks nice and crispy and the wraps sound really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  48. This recipe looks amazing. All my favorite foods. I love crispy chicken. blue cheese, and cheddar cheese Yum thankyou for sharing im so going to make this

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This