10/6/09

mushroom bisque w/ crispy shallots


Baby it's cold outside! Too early in the season to say that? But hear me out. I'm freeeezing! I'm not one of those fall-winter type of gals. I'm a summer-babe, I love my sun and love my heat. Well, I don't really like humidity, but I love the dry heat. I don't think I've ever met someone who loves the humidity, have you?
Our summer on Cape Cod was a very very short one. We did not get a spring, instead we got rain--pure rain for a month. Seriously it was a record rainfall and record sun-less days on the history books jotted down somewhere with those weather-fanatics. Our summer was only about a month long, then bam, right into fall. So, I did not get enough sun to warm my bones up enough for winter. You know I'm so looking at the caribbean right now...
Last week I jokingly told my friends that summer was officially over-- I had eaten my first bowl of Ramen.
Another first for this already chilly season is my famous mushroom bisque. It has all the good stuff in it, like booze, mushrooms, cream, and those irrestible little gems I love: crispy shallots. This will warm your bones and your blood, well depending on how much sherry you put in it.
If you have a home in the caribbean and aren't using it I'm here to help. Yes I am. I'm available to go check on it and make sure it's safe & sound. Or if you are there I can easily cook for you. LOL


mushroom bisque
print recipe

2 tb of evoo
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
1 cup portobello mushrooms, chopped large chunks
½ cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped large chunks
¾ cup cremini mushroom, chopped large chunks
¾ stick of butter, unsalted, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 can (14 oz) beef broth
¼ cup of AP flour
½ +/- cup of good quality dry sherry
1 quart of half & half
1 cup heavy cream
salt & pepper to taste

In a small bowl take the ¼ cup of flour and mix about 3-4 tb of the beef broth; whisk to make a nice slurry; set aside.
In a large stockpot, heat up the evoo, and saute the onions till translucent. Add in a few pinches of salt. Add in all the mushrooms, add in the chopped butter, and a few dashes of ground black pepper—scattering it about.
Let the mushrooms cook down a bit, about 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring mushrooms. Add in the dry sherry, let that cook down a bit, by bringing it to a boil. Add in the remaining beef broth, add in the half & half, the heavy cream, and then the slurry you previously made (of the flour & beef broth).
Turn up heat a bit and keep stirring. Ideally you want to bring this all to just a boil. Give it a taste and see if it needs any pepper. I doubt it will need salt.
Top with the crispy shallots.
Should make about 4 hearty bowlfulls. It freezes nicely too.

crispy shallots
semi-adapted from Barefoot Contessa

1 cup light olive oil
3 tb unsalted butter
5 to 6 shallots, sliced into medium-thin rings

Heat the oil and unsalted butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat until it reaches about 250 degrees F. Reduce the heat a bit then add the shallots. I did this in two batches. You really do not want to crowd the pan at all. The shallots will brown perfectly if they have plenty of room in the hot oil to swim and get happy. Cook until nice and brown. Make sure to stir the shallots once in a while to get all sides brown. Once down remove them from the oil with a slotted spoon, and drain, then place on paper towels. They should stay at room temp., don't put them in the fridge as they will go soft and lose all that nice crispiness.
Should make less than ½ cup.

56 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely delicious, Dawn! I will save this for the 3 days of winter we'll probably get this season. :-) It was 93ยบ today...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Butter and mushrooms are two of my top 5 favoritest things (yeah I have gone to making up words).

    We had zero summer here and have already gone into fall. I just need to sucker someone into raking leaves......


    Looks awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so comforting! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay fall! Yay soup! Yay cold weather! Yay crispy shallots! The fact that you can eat big bowls of creamy soups while it's chilly out is one of the best things about this season. Bring it on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!!!
    ....doing the bubba dance

    yeah yeah !!
    yeah yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. dont forget about me when the carribbean house sitting gig kicks in...this soup is screaming for me - I am doggybloggy and I am a mushroom- a-holic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This mushroom bisque is perfect for a rainy, fall day. It looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's pretty chilly in the evenings here. I'm already bundled up sweaters and blankets, but I'm loving it. With that said, I could go for a nice bowl of that bisque right now. i need something warm right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this looks amazing! I love your site. You really do a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. not a fan of mushrooms...can I just have the crispy shallots ;) yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This bisque looks incredible and is just the remedy for the cold weather blues.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the smell of a good mushroom bisque. There's nothing like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not a mushroom gal, but I made a cream of mushroom last year that was pretty good...crispy shallots though...YES PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Humidity sucks ASS! I hate it and it is in full swing here!
    But if you go to the Caribbean house you better take me!
    Mushroom Bisque is right up my alley. The more sherry the better!

    ReplyDelete
  15. it's Spring here, but i'd eat that bisque in a heartbeat!
    gosh, but it just looks so damn yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmm, crispy shallots. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That soup is just calling to me - photos are so enticing and those crispy onions - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  18. how kind of you to volunteer your services, dawn! :)
    great dish--you had my heart at "crispy shallots."

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Good Lord, Dawn. I can almost taste that. There is a mushroom farm a few hours from here that is so damn amazing. I need to make a trip there and try this!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well at least you didn't say winter! Haha nah I've heard about how miserable the summer in the NE was this year, it's too bad.

    However, I'm sure a little fun boozed up soup can fix that :) You better keep tons of this stuff on hand as the days get darker and those white flakes show up in a few months :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am freezing too. Utah already had some snow. Brrrr! this bisque is the perfect way to warm up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow, that's gorgeous! And the crispy shallots? Over the top good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful. Looks so luscious and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The hubs told me this week that he is starting to like mushrooms so I may just have to try this on him, the crispy shallots should help sell it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, that looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This will be made soon, as we are expected to get first frost by the weekend here in Kansas City. I too have not had enough sun stored up for winter. It's off to Puerto Vallarta in about a week. I wonder if anyone needs a personal chef down there?????? Ah, but the spouse would starve if I didn't come back home with him. Thanks for another yummy recipe. N

    ReplyDelete
  27. I harvested a small bowl's worth of bitsy shallots last weekend (in Mattapoisett) and have been passing them by each day wondering how to make the most of them. This recipe provides a fine solution!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That soup sounds wonderfully comforting, and those crispy shallots must add the perfect amount of crispness!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the contrast between the delicious creamy bisque and crispy shallots, how wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm from the Pacific Norhtwest. I too immediately make warming soups the second it drops below 70. Which for me is about nine months out of the year unfortunately. I can't wait to try out this recipe. It looks amazing. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  31. if only there was somebody to make this for that would share it with me.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love how creamy it looks Dawn. Here we're still enjoying nice weather, althouth today is raining, so I could easily go for a nice bowl of this!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh my word Dawn this looks terrific, so creamy!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ummm, it looks beautiful, but shrooms never pass my lips. It is the texture-I can't do it. My hubby would probably love it though!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love ramen but I'd rather have your bisque (and crispy shallots- awesome). And yes, I eat hot soup when it's a little cooler here (25C or so), raining, and even if it's still humid like it always is!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am a soup person, and this looks fabulous. Perfect for the cold weather that has seemed to hit everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  37. That looks divine. I love your use of two really flavorful mushrooms. I am a mushroom soup fanatic!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fall is my favorite, but winter, that's another story! Brrrrrr!!
    But this luscious soup would warm me up in a heartbeat. Looks divine Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Just look at that bowl of goodness. It looks so rich, creamy and delicious. Nicely done Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  40. All one needs now is some bread!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I know just what you mean about the weather here -- I posted a mushroom recipe too, so it's officially autumn in New England.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Looks like a very delicious dish. Your pics are amazing. I have to get a better camera.

    ReplyDelete
  43. i'll take a bowl of that! I'll think of you when i'm in AZ next week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  44. This looks amazing! :) And I'm SO ready for the fall recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Who can go wrong with mushrooms especially in your bisque!YUM

    ReplyDelete
  46. Creamy mushrooms soups are always so good and welcome. The crispy shallot topping is a really nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  47. That looks DELICIOUS! I could use a bowl of that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  48. This I could indulge in on a cold evening, I love mushrooms!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  49. ahh I'm freezing too! I miss Summer! The bisque looks amazing, I want a bowl right now!

    ReplyDelete
  50. This mushroom bisque takes mushroom soup to a whole new level! Well done! Can't wait to have this on a cold winter's night.

    ReplyDelete
  51. You know all of these pictures are REALLY amazing! You might want to consider photography as well as cooking :-)!

    ReplyDelete
  52. I really liked the soup recipe. I threw in some dried porcinis too for extra flavor. But when I cooked the shallots to the same color as you posted in your picture they tasted burnt. Maybe frying them very gently for a longer period would be better.

    ReplyDelete
  53. OH I would love to have a bowl of that! (the hell with the calories)

    ReplyDelete
  54. This looks amazing!!!! Being a fellow Bisque lover thought you might like to see this: http://shutupandcook.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/hello-world/

    Going to try your recipe this week!

    ReplyDelete
  55. mushrooms bisque; crispy shallots - everything I love....I can tell I will not go to sleep yet. I really enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This