3/11/09

pb & chocolate chunk cookies

peanut butter-chocolate chunk cookies

Have you all heard about the famous bakery in nyc called "Baked"? Amazing place. No, I haven't been, yet. Oh yes, I will be going there, soon, very soon. I hope to meet at least one of the owners and just tap their minds about owning, running a top-notch bakery. It is has been my dream to have my own bakery & diner. And I just love this bakery's concept: new frontiers in baking. I just love how creative they are: no boring cupcakes or same old cookies to be found there. They are creative and inventive, and from what I've heard not stingy on the sizes and quantities. They claim: "...We like to think of ourselves as dessert experts; the kind of people blessed with a highly (almost holy) developed sense of taste and smell...." I can sooo relate to that! I know I have a highly developed sense of taste; knowing what is needed or missing in a recipe; knowing there is too much heat, too little sweet, or not enough cream, etc... Amen.
**Thank you Matt from Baked for your wonderful email--I don't think you could ever imagine how much you made my day with that email! You so totally rock my world!**

Months ago I finally broke down and bought their cookbook: Baked. I opened and devoured the book like it was a brand new shiny and clean Mercedes Benz; pouring over all glossy pictures, with clean hands, careful not to sneeze, move my hair so I won't dirty the pages with any body hairs, fluids, nothing! Careful not over-bend the pages and cause the spine of the book to move, crack, rip, tear, nada. It's a lovely book, a book I will go back to time and time again. As you know I made their famous root beer cake. God that was good. Such a unique, but easy taste in a cake. And the frosting was perfect. I will make that again just so I can take better pictures this time with my new camera. These cookies were really good. I love a good cookie that tastes different. I think it's genius that they made this cookie with dark brown sugar--it made all the difference. And use a good quality milk chocolate in here kids. I mean if you're going to make a damn good cookie from a damn good cookbook then use high quality ingredients.

peanut butter-chocolate chunk cookies

Here's a serious question for all you foodies out there: if you could have your own bakery, diner, or food related establishment, what kinds of creative food creations would you feature?
Did anyone catch the new show The Chopping Block with Chef Marco Pierre White? Oh I have loved that man and his cooking philosophy for years. He's quite talented, and so very focused on his craft. I love his saying of: "...romance of the chef...is it consistent? Or is it unhinged? A lot of chefs today, in my opinion, cook by numbers, they dance to the drum of the guides, not the palettes of their clients..."
I just hope that during the length of the show series we actually get to see Chef Marco cook, what a treat that would be.

Peanut Butter Cookies with Milk Chocolate Chunks
From Baked
print recipe

1 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup creamy peanut butter
6 ounces good milk chocolate, coarsely chopped

Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars together until fluffy.
Scrape down the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated.
The mixture will look light and fluffy.
Add the vanilla and peanut butter and beat until just incorporated.
Add half of the flour mixture and mix for 15 seconds. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until just incorporated.
Using a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the chocolate. Cover the bowl tightly and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. (I left mine in the fridge for 2 nights—I just forgot about it; it came out perfect).
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Drop the dough by rounded tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets, at least 2 inches apart. With the palm of your hand, very gently press each cookie down so it forms a very tall disk shape. Do not press too hard and do not press it flat. Sprinkle the tops of the cookies with granulated sugar and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through the baking time, until the tops of the cookies just begin to brown.
Should make about 30 cookies.

52 comments:

  1. Haven't been to that bakery yet either!!

    I was a little disappointed with 'Chopping Block' last night (not enough drama for me, haha), but I"m hoping that the season will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies look oh so good! I wish I could grab one through the screen!! I am getting that book at the library, it just came in, too funny:)

    I don't know what creations I would serve. I love making soups, cookies, paninis, ice cream and other frozen desserts, so probably some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these cookies are so photogenic...americas next top cookie...they look great and I will go to that bakery for you...even though Red Hook is not easy to navigate around.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, you have the best baked goods to the point where I think you should either create your own cookbook or open a bakery. You could be just as successful as the NY bakeries. I love the sugary top on these and can feel the texture on my tongue. I love chewing those tiny bits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PB and chocolate--what could possibly be better? Thank you1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once I move back, Baked is one of my first stops. The cookies look gargantuan and delicious!

    I'd have to disagree with VeggieGirl, I think there was too much drama in Chopping Block last night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys really need to stop posting such 'close-up' pics man! Its tough not to reach into the screen and grab a cookie :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Baked!! It is my new favorite cookbook. I've yet to make a recipe from that book that wasn't outstanding. And these cookies are next on my to-bake list. They look so divine. I wish I could reach through the screen and grab one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like a yummy recipe and I think I'll make some for my dad this weekend. I wonder about modifying it a bit with chunky PF and dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me and my best friend have been dreaming of opening our own bakery, once we finish school and all that. But you definitely NEED to! You are so talented, and your flavor combos are always amazing. As you already know, I'm into a more healthy fare, so I would love to incorporate some vegan items, and maybe some lunch-type things. I hope one day when I'm down the cape I can stop by your bakery and chow down!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree...great ingredients make all the difference. I didn't watch Chopping Block. I watch too much TV as it is, but maybe I will try and catch up.

    I would love to own my own food place...like a gourmet store where people could also sit and eat if they wanted. When you come back to CA we should go into business! :)

    Oh, and the cookies...literally made me drool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look so delicious, I love milk chocolate. I missed Chopped, I vaguely remember hearing about it a while back, but must have forgotten about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for stopping by...please come again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These cookies look wonderful! Using best quality ingredients always makes a difference. The pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Magnificent cookies. We need 6 dozen. Baked goods are always so fun to make and give out. Almost everyone loves a sweet. If we had an establishment though, we'd try to satisfy the sweet and salty teeth out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel like I could reach right in and snatch a delicious cookie! I was a bit dissappointed in Chopping Block, too, I felt like it was missing something...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Again, a fabulous looking creation. Given the talents you have displayed here, it would be a disservice to the general public if you DIDN'T open your own place.

    Hmm, I would do a sandwich/lunch place with an old fashioned glass counter with baked goods for dessert. Limited selection each day so it would peak their interest to come back again soon to see new selections are available. Oh, and outdoor tables and chairs for the summer months. Oh, and maybe a small wine and beer selection. Hmm, yeah, that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cookies turned out so peanut-buttery and delicious! I've been hearing about this cookbook, need to add it to my little wishlist. Enjoyed Chopping Block last night!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I might have to take a trip to NY to go there. Oh and if I had my own bakery..I would hire you for all of your brillant ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my gosh. that sounds so, so good! pb and chocolate is the best combination!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. cookies are awesome!
    would love to have a bistro , no more than 7/8 tables,no menu, surprising guests with 2 types of food and wine changing every day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those look incredible!! Love the extra crunch on top. That sounds like my kind of cookbook--I must check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The cookies look magnificent Dawn. If I had a Bakery, Diner I would make good home cooking from scratch and drive myself batty over every detail ! LOL!! I love homemade cakes that are unusual, things you don't see everyday. Those are the recipes I'd make.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know I said I prefer the chocolate mint combo, but those are mighty tempting.

    Your photos of those luscious cookies are simply stunning! What kind of camera did you buy? Also, have you ever used photoshop? When my uncle rebuilt my laptop, he added it, but I haven't had time to play with it.

    I was planning to watch "Chopping Block" on the internet this week. I see mixed results here. Did you like it?

    Having our own place is a long held dream of ours. We had a upscale diner in mind - comfort food with kicked up ingredients.

    We even looked at a place in Vermont, but chickened out when we realized we'd be risking all of our life equity. Restaurants are risky business, especially in a ski area dependant on snow.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Uuuuuh... Bob want cookie! Heh.

    Well, I don't have cable, so I don't get to watch any non-PBS cooking shows. But, if I owned a food establishment? I don't know what I would do... probably east/west fusion. Teriyaki calzones, baked lo mein, chorizo pho.. mmm... fusiony...

    ReplyDelete
  26. The cookies look really good - I'm going to look into getting the cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  27. drool....(that's a compliment)

    How does everyone in NYC stay so skinny with all those delicious bakeries?? I still haven't seen Chopping Block, but looks like I need to put it in the DVR since it's the talk of the blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh dang those look good. If you open a place we'll come. Hold on to your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hm, come to think of it, I haven't made plans to visit the place yet. Maybe I should? (I've been going to too many French-style patisseries.)

    I'm not sure if I'm going to be truly creative but the flavors and food will come from the heart, with enough intricacy to keep people coming back :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. that looks sooo good!
    i've always dreamed of having my own place - i dont think i'll ever do it though! it would be tuff for me to decide what exactly i would serve! I love cooking main meals but also love cooking the cookies, cupcakes, desserts in general!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Can you even believe that I haven't bought this cookbook yet? I really need to just splurge and buy. These look great. Just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gotta love PB! These look perfect. I am coming over and we can have coffee and as many cookies as we want right?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Baked is AMAZING.... like those cookies.... I am making these TONIGHT! Hahah they ARE America's Next Top Cookie! Your photo is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are evil posting these larger than life pics of ooey-gooey cookies.

    These are worthy of a jaunt to Cape "Caad"!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your killing me with these.. WOW look great.. Too great LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh WOW....as hard as I try, I can't seem to sneak one off of that plate! Those cookies are AMAZING, Dawn!
    This is NOT making my salad look tempting..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. haven't heard about that bakery before but thanks for telling. that cookie looks awesome. and you're so right about using quality ingredients - it makes the difference... i'm going to steal this recipe :oD my hubby likes BP-Chocolate cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  38. aw man- my boyfriend and i thought we made up chocolate chip peanut butter cookies. way to burst our bubble. back to the drawing board...

    ReplyDelete
  39. I want to reach in and take a bite!
    Dawn you're killing me with all these photo's! I saw the chopping block, He's very intense!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh my word!!! These cookies look so good, great combination that always calls out to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. holy cow. you bring the cookies, i'll bring my latest ice cream creation (think nutella) :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. stellar. truly, the main thing keeping me from opening a bakery/cafe (other than the obvious--lack of funds) is my absolute and pathetic lack of creativity. and i do mean pathetic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh my gosh- you should def open your own bakery. When you do- you must let us all know...I will travel to try your baked goods! These cookies look INCREDIBLE.

    Hmmm...well....I would probably open a healthier restaurant. I know, I know...but I promise the food would still be delicious. I would want to do breakfast and lunch. Vegi/vegan options and lean healthy proteins.

    ReplyDelete
  44. It's been a long while since I've had peanut butter cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I've heard of that bakery and am DYING TO GO!!! Hmm, if I had my own bakery, I'd churn out traditional Indonesian desserts like craaaazy! Anything that involves glutinous rice flour and palm sugar is fair game... mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Sorting through TS to find your recipe again - that does it, I'm making these today!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Just came across your blog...LOVE your recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Those cookies look good. I am going to have to try combining peanut butter cookies with ccc's.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hey! Where's your hat?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  50. Yummy yummy yummy I've got love in my tummy! Lovely cookies! I used to see a show in the UK with Chef Pierre White and I loved it. He's said to have made Gordon Ramsey cry once.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I think this is one of my favorite combo. Another recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Your blog is fantastic! Really gorgeous photos... my mouth is watering. These cookies - look amazing. You passion for baking is apparent.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This