2/27/09

cranberry bliss bars



If you're a regular to Starbucks then you've surely come across these cranberry bliss bars. I never bought one at Starbucks because they are so overpriced. Why not try and recreate them at home? Obviously we see something we love in a store, cafe, or mostly on one of our favorite food blogs, vowing to make them ASAP. Of course ASAP never happens. And then after the holidays have come and gone, that's when I decide to make them. I didn't know those bars were seasonal, oh well.
They were OK. They tasted really good without the frosting, at least I thought, but then I can be fussy. The next time I make these I am going to try Shelby's version; those look much tastier. These photos were too pretty to not post.





starbucks cranberry bliss bars (copycat recipe)
recipe from mrbreakfast.com

For shortbread base:
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
1 and 1/4 cups brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 t ground ginger
1 t vanilla
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup minced dried cranberries
1/4 cup white chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup minced candied ginger

For frosting:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 T butter, softened
1 t vanilla

For garnish:
2 T dried cranberries, minced
1/3 cup white chocolate chips, melted

Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a 9×13 pan.
Beat butter and sugar together for the cake base, and add eggs/vanilla beating until fluffy.
In separate bowl, sift together flour, ginger, and salt and then add to the butter/sugar mixture beating well.
Fold in the cranberries, chocolate and ginger. Spread thick batter in pan and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden.
When cake is cooled, mix all frosting ingredients together and spread a thin layer over the cake. Immediately sprinkle with the minced cranberries.
Next use a sandwich bag with a small corner cut (as your homemade pastry bag) add melted white chocolate and drizzle the chocolate over the cake. Refrigerate until chocolate is firm, cut into triangles and serve

41 comments:

  1. they do look gorgeous!! sorry they weren't up to standards :) you set the bar high with all your good baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pics are too pretty!! I never thought about making cranberry bars, it sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah who needs starbucks now? These are beautiful. And yes the Curry burgers are the best. I will def. have to make again soon. In fact after I made them and they were gone I was craving them again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only had these once, but they were great. This recipe looks even better than the original!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pictures are sure pretty! The bars look delicious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so, so beautiful...I've never had one but have heard they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures! And I'm sure I would love them, I can't help devouring anything with cranberries in it. Good luck perfecting them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bliss indeed. Shortbread with just about anything on top of it--frosting! cranberries!--works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that is so weird. Was just at Starbucks this morning and eyeing those bars!

    ReplyDelete
  10. mmmmm. i love the ginger!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, I want one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG. This is so yummy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Apparently Starbucks has stepped up their food since I worked there ten years ago. Of course, their food sucked then (well, except the marble loaf), but whatever. Heh, not that I'm bitter.

    Those look good, I bet the candied is a great combo with the cranberry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, the photos are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are my absolute favorite sweet things from Starbucks! They look beautiful...thanks for the recipe..buh bye Starbucks

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look real yummy and they have so many goodies in them. Bummer that you didn't like them that much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well they certainly look delicious! I've been doing some experimenting too lately, with mixed results.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those photos are certainly beautiful! I eyed those in Starbucks, too, but never actually tried one. I love the idea of cranberry and white chocolate married in a bar. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, these look terrific. I love the burst of color with the cranberries and then the pretty glaze on top. Thank you for all your tips on photos to me when you visited my blog. I am using them:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sorry they weren't better- BUT they are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sorry they weren't better- BUT they are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Boy those look good. I know exactly which bars you're talking about. I have to make these now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Made a version of these over the holidays. Took them to a Christmas party, along with tons of other things. This is what EVERYONE loved and raved about. Yours look a bit different, but GOOD! Will have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous photos and bars!! I love anything and everything cranberry!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You know I've never tasted them? But I've allways been curious beacuse I see so much talking about them, they really must be good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those look good. I like the sound of the cranberry, ginger and white chocolate combo.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i think these are some really appropriately-named treats. forget starbucks...who needs 'em? :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sinful looking and yes too pretty not to post. I will have to try these for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sheer bliss! They look much better than Starbucks Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  30. When I was pregnant with Lily, I worked in a mall and would get sweets from Starbucks daily. (hello, 65 pounds) They were always hours old and all crusty, but they still did the trick. I'm totally going to try these out and actually taste them fresh!! You are far too picky, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh excellent, these things are delightful. I really shouldn't make these....

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well they look good to me! I know, I have a whole food recipe folder that were supposed to be ASAP recipes! Terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh, man! you're killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your bars look better than Starbuck's...You've captured the beauty of these in your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  35. They are beautiful, I would enjoy them with a great coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  36. These sound fun, if I leave out the ginger will it make a difference?

    ReplyDelete
  37. The pictures are beautiful! I've seen these in Starbucks and am always tempted to buy them but they are so overpriced! They look tasty (like always) Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Now ain't these a pleasant surprise...love me sweet & sour desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I made this recipe once and thought the same thing - just ok. Not worth the trouble.

    I'll wait to hear your reviews of the next recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This