1/24/09

honey sesame shrimp

Spicy Sesame Shrimp

A fabulous taste sensation of flavors in this shrimp dish. Just like I love my sweets with a hint of salty, I love my spicy foods with a hint of sweet. The key to this dish is the marinade, but then again isn't that always the case? The longer something sits and marinades in a good sauce, the better it tastes. So, if you can, let this marinade overnight. I also added in more of the Thai chile sauce, you don't have to, but the flavor is a deep spice, not an instant HOT, but a slow warming heat as you eat it; that's why I love spicy Thai chile sauces.
Sorry I don't have better pictures this time around as this was a dinner meal and it's so dark here by the time we get around to eating. But I had to share this recipe with everyone as the sauce was soooooo good. And when something is good you just have to share it with friends.
I don't know about you, but I am a huge lover of ginger root. I am amazed at it's healing powers and more importantly it's taste. Whenever I eat sushi I always ask for more ginger. I'm the person in Whole Foods buying the jars of pickled ginger and bargaining with the sushi chefs to pile on some more ginger onto my sushi lunch rolls. In this dish, I added big chunks of thinly sliced ginger...you can see it in the first pic, on the left side. When those chunks of ginger marinaded in that sauce and then were cooked through, oh the taste! I ate all the chunks in this dish as the hubby won't touch it.

Honey Sesame Shrimp
print recipe

1 ½ pounds jumbo shrimp peeled and deveined
4 slices fresh ginger 1/4-inch thick (I did 6 slices)
5 trimmed scallions
6 TB dark sesame oil (also called Asian sesame oil)
4 TB rice wine sake (or dry sherry)
6 TB soy sauce
5 TB honey
3 TB sesame seeds
1 TB Thai sweet chile sauce or paste (I did 2 TB)
1 ts Chinese five-spice powder
4 cloves garlic crushed

Flatten white parts of scallions with the side of a cleaver. Finely chop green parts and set aside for garnish. Rinse the shrimp under cold running water, then drain and blot dry with paper towels. Set aside while you prepare the marinade.

Combine 3 tablespoons of the sesame oil, the rice wine, soy sauce, honey, sesame seeds, chile sauce (if using), and five-spice powder in a large bowl and whisk to blend.
Stir in the garlic, ginger, scallions, and shrimp to coat, then cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 30 to 60 minutes.

Preheat the grill to high. Using a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp from the marinade to a bowl and toss with the remaining 3 tablespoons sesame oil.
Pour the marinade into a saucepan; remove and discard the garlic, ginger, and scallion whites, using the slotted spoon. Bring the marinade to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, uncovered, to a thick, syrupy glaze, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
When ready to cook, oil the grate.
Arrange the shrimp on the hot grate and grill, turning with tongs, until nicely browned on the outside and firm and pink inside, about 2 minutes per side. Brush the shrimp with the glaze as they cook.
Transfer the shrimp to serving plates and or a platter and sprinkle with the scallion greens. Serve immediately with sticky rice

Serves 3 - 4
(I've also stir fried this dish and it came out just as good. Right now the grill is buried in snow...somewhere)

29 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummmmm, I am just now coming around to ginger. I am gonna save this recipe. Hope you're having a nice "warm" weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love pickled ginger too and always eat a big mound when I get sushi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, ginger rules. I've never had pickled ginger, but when I was a a kid I once asked my mom if I could eat some candied ginger (I only really saw the "candied" part). She smirked and said sure. She was pretty surprised when I ate a big chunk of it. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the photos are great!
    I love "slow heat" dishes. I find them addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously-this is a bad photo? Hello, check out mine someday! It looks great, and I hate shrimp. The Dude would like it though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks simply awesome, Dawn! I love the slow heat best of all.

    Your comment about the photo cracked me up. I ALWAYS take my photos at dinner time (after dark) and I always sigh when I see all the light, bright photos on other sites. I just don't have time to cook during the day, so I've asked my step-father to build me a white background that I can light up. Hopefully it will help.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE ginger! Have you ever had any of "The Ginger People" products? I put their grated ginger on everything. Thanks for sharing, this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay those are beautiful, how I wpould love to eat it for breakfast! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhhh, I love shrimp and yours sounds perfect. Wish I had some to make for dinner tonight. I'm blank right now! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. have i mentioned before that the taste and texture of shrimp gives me the heebie-jeebies? it does, but flavored like this, it just might stand a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my kind of meal. Looks so yummy!! Jeff "claims" he's allergic to shrimp, but I may need to find out for sure with this dish. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is definitely something that I can make while Phil is away this week! He won't touch shrimp or any hot foods...so this will be perfect for a little "me" pampering while he is away.

    I buy pickled ginger in HUGE jars at the Asian market. We love snacking on the stuff. I also love ginger crystal tea...especially served hot after a long day at work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks fantastic to me! great flavors :)

    i love b-nut fries (you can mix it up beyond the EVOO and s/p too), and those poached pears are excellent, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ginger is oh so good! Great dish here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I could eat shrimp for every meal and be a happy woman!

    I'm the same way with ginger. When I go out to sushi, my friends and hubby automatically give me their pile. I eat it in mass quantities!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, I have to ask, don't you want to cut off the tails first? I don't always have the patience to try to get the tails off after it's all made and in sauce. It's hard with silverware and saucy for hands.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh this looks absolutley FABULOUS! I don't cook shrimp enough. I'm always afraid I won't cook it all the way through or make it too rubbery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i'm drooling... i love this.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dawn I'm loving those shrimp. You had me at ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dawn this kind of food is right up my alley. Love all the many flavors! I think your pics are just fine and I can see the ginger too. It is finally snowing here in VA, let's see if it sticks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. YUM! I just picked up some shrimp, now I know what I am going to do with it. I love all the flavors, especially the ginger. By the way, I think your picture looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow, this looks amazing! I love the last photo with the sauce oozing into the rice.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The photos rock..whatch'oo talkin'bout Willis?

    The ginger is good for you, the spices in the 5-spice are good for you and shrimp is no longer considered a cholestrol no-no...I'm all over this Asian delight!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks so good! My husband is allergic to shrimp but I love it so I'll have to make it just for me!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This shrimp sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi...I just wanted to drop you a line to tell you I tried this recipe last night and it was yummy! I am thinking about trying it with chicken and/or pork the next time.

    I stalk...I mean check :) your blog almost on a daily basis to see what you've been up to. Your recipes are so inspiring and creative. Makes me want to cook all the time. Unfortunately, work prevails but I check your blog there too!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks amazing!! I am definitely going to make it.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This