11/20/08

double chocolate muffins

Double Choco Muffins 1 11-17-2008 7-02-36 PM 2048x1536
Not much cooking lately--It's cocoon season for me.
That means I'd rather be warming my cold body in a down filled cocoon on my bed sleeping winter away only to be awoken when spring shines her brilliant sun. That or I'd like to be sitting in a hot jacuzzi tub warming my cold bones up. I only have the first option, wishing I had the second as a hot bath does wonders for me on frigidly cold days. I don't know if it's me getting old or what, but I can't take the cold as I used to. And the dry cold air at night is a pain in the butt for skin care and breathing. I need to look into buying a really good warm-air humidifier.
Can anyone recommend a good one?
I think I might go to the local YMCA to use their hot therapeutic pool--that sounds so good right now. I feel so old in the winter, anyone else get like this?
Double Choco Muffins 3 11-17-2008 7-04-25 PM 2048x1536

These double chocolate muffins are seriously strong in chocolate.
I can always depend on Dorie Greenspan for a trustworthy, stellar recipe.
If you can, use the higher cacao chocolate in these muffins for best taste and best way to quell that chocolate craving.
Double Choco Muffins 5 11-17-2008 7-02-47 PM 2048x1536
Double Choco Muffins 4 11-18-2008 3-45-29 PM 1422x1650
A little frosting never hurt.

double chocolate muffins
adapted from dorie greenspan
print recipe

1 stick butter
4 ounces bitter sweet chocolate, chopped
2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup of good quality milk chocolate chunks or chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or butter, then flour a regular size muffin tray.
Melt butter and bittersweet chocolate in a pan over medium heat, do not boil! Let cool for about 15-20 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Pour buttermilk mixture over dry ingredients and then add the melted butter & chocolate mixture. Mix all together until just combined. Do not overmix.
Stir in milk chocolate chips or chunks.
Divide batter evenly among muffin tins. Bake for about 20 – 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool for 5 minutes and remove onto wire racks.
Makes 12 muffins

27 comments:

  1. OMG, you have just described me. The minute the time changes in the Fall, the hibernation mode kicks in. I yawn at seven.......I have been doing this my entire adult life. Am I old, well, let's just say I have lots of ground time. I would say DeVibliss (sp?) is a good brand for a warm humidifier. Keep it VERY clean. Warm + moist = mold. I have been without the hot tub for four years now. I am still missing it. Chocolate will save us to see another Spring. Keep up the good work on your blog. Nella

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the icing swirls. It is so cold in NJ that I can imagine the cold you're feeling. I have been eating more and craving sweets and stews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those muffins are HYPNOTIZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These muffins look great! So far the weather here has been pretty good and it's usually damp (rain!) so maybe you should just move to the wet coast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not get people who are not chocolate fans. Something has got to be seriously wrong with them, IMO. These look awesome- I love the frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn, you are KILLING me. I could eat at least 3 of these beauties. Love the icing swirl - so pretty. Eat one for me please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is some serious chocolate love!! I agree, the time change has thrown me off, but instead of sleeping more, I sleep LESS! It's awful. Waking up before 7 every singly day. On the other hand, cooler weather makes me want to cook more! I'm strange, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your muffin tops! Now that is the way to start the day...chocolate and lots of it! I hibernate in the winter. I HATE the cold!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I also feel older in winter and hate it get dark so early. I don't think I crave more chocolate, but since I allways crave a lot of it year round... What happens to me is that I crave chocolate muffins from my friend's blog. Crazy, he?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those look fantastic my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha you are sooo not getting old! I'm getting tired more too with the weird time change too, and I'm def not old :) I think they call it seasonal mood something...

    Anyways, awesome cupcakes, my cupcake :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmmmmmmmm. this looks delicious! i love the icing!! i do some fall hibernating, too. i perk up around the holidays, though... so many fun flavors to play with :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I never put the 2 together but maybe that's why I feel so tired. And no your not the only one who forgets things, the older I get the worse it gets! My daughter and I are gonna pig out on these muffins, I think that'll make us feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh noo! I've never lived in really cold weather before, and I'm already such a sleepy person-- maybe I'll just turn increasingly somnolent if ever I move to the states :P I love me some chocolate muffins-- in fact, these are the same kind I order when I'm at a Mrs. Fields' :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. yum-those look great! and double chocolate is always twice as good, don't ya think? thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i feel sorry for the goobs who think that a chocolate muffin is the best thing in the world. clearly a double chocolate muffin trumps any regular chocolate muffin. :)
    and oh, what i wouldn't give to stay under my covers all day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh these look heavenly!! You just can't go wrong with chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those look good! I really like that swirl pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yeah pass me one would you, i feel old in the cold too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. ..but it looks like these cupcakes will cure what ails! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mighty gorgeous muffins! I can probably easily having 2 of your muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yep..i too HATE the time change..doesnt get too cold down here in Florida, but I feel your pain. When I get cold..it feels like my bones get frozen and I cant warm up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These look deeply soul satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooooh, me likey! I have to keep this recipe aside to try. They look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have enjoyed browsing your blog and visiting Cape Cod. Thanks for visiting and "I'll be back"

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can you use muffin cases instead of a muffin tray??

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This