10/18/08

vanilla poundcake w/ creamsicle frosting

Vanilla Poundcake w Orange creamsicle Frosting 8
Creamsicle.
Remember that flavor as a kid? I can't tell you how many creamsicles I ate as a kid. That creamy flavor combo of orange and milk. I remember biting into the first creamsicle of the summer season with the hard orange crust that would break with just enough force to open up the creamy middle milky center.
Lately I've been craving a creamsicle type frosting. Since I could just make the frosting and eat it on it's own...but no, I'll make a cake to go with.
I realize poundcake doesn't always come to mind when you think of frosting something new, but I have wanted to dress up a poundcake, so here is the perfect opportunity.
Vanilla Poundcake w Orange Creamsicle Frosting 3
 I started my search for frostings or glazes of the creamsicle variety, but most of them were just butter, milk and some orange zest. Not very creamsicle-like. So, I set out to try and find my own recipe that would hit the creamsicle flavor mark right on the head. After a few experiments I finally found one I liked and it closely resembled that of a creamsicle. I would also love to try this frosting on a carrot cake; for some reason I just think it would be awesome melding all those flavors together.
Of course you don't have to put this frosting on poundcake, any vanilla cake or cupcake will do.
Copy of Vanilla Poundcake w Orange Creamsicle Frosting 7
Vanilla Poundcake w Orange Creamsicle Frosting 2
Vanilla Poundcake w Orange creamsicle Frosting 8

vanilla pound cake w/ creamsicle frosting
pound cake recipe from America's Test Kitchen
print recipe

pound cake:
16 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 sticks), cold, plus extra for greasing pan
3 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla extract + some vanilla beans about 1 ts (optional)
1¾ cups cake flour (7 ounces), plus extra for dusting pan
½ teaspoon table salt
1¼ cups sugar (8 3/4 ounces)

Cut butter into 1-tablespoon pieces and place in bowl of standing mixer; let stand at room temperature 20 to 30 minutes to soften slightly (butter should reach no more than 60 degrees). Using dinner fork, beat eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla in liquid measuring cup until combined. Let egg mixture stand at room temperature until ready to use.
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Generously butter 9 by 5-inch loaf pan; dust pan liberally with flour and knock out excess.
In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, beat butter and salt at medium-high speed until shiny, smooth, and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping bottom and sides of bowl once with rubber spatula.
Reduce speed to medium; with mixer running, gradually pour in sugar (this should take about 60 seconds). Once all sugar is added, increase speed to medium-high and beat until mixture is fluffy and almost white in color, 5 to 8 minutes, scraping bottom and sides of bowl once.
With mixer running at medium speed, gradually add egg mixture in slow, steady stream; this should take 60 to 90 seconds. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl; beat mixture at medium-high speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes (mixture may look slightly broken). Remove bowl from mixer; scrape bottom and sides.
In 3 additions, sift flour over butter/egg mixture; after each addition, fold gently with rubber spatula until combined. Scrape along bottom of bowl to ensure that batter is consistent.
Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan and smooth surface with rubber spatula. Bake until golden brown and wooden skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 70 to 80 minutes. Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes; invert cake onto wire rack, then turn cake right side up. Cool cake on rack to room temperature, about 2 hours.

creamsicle frosting
(this frosting was created off the top of my head, so I might be off a bit on measurements, but taste it as you go along to find your own desired taste)

1 stick+ unsalted butter, room temp (might need 1-2 TB more)
2+ cups confectioners sugar (might need 1-2 TB more)
4 TB cream cheese, softened
Pinch or two of sea salt
1-3 dashes of half & half (or milk)
2 ts of orange zest, plus more for garnish (if desired)
1 or 2 TB of the juice from same orange

Mix all ingredients into large bowl and using an electric mixer beat until a nice creamy frosting is achieved. If you like a thicker frosting use less of the half & half, for thinner frosting add more half & half. Frost cooled pound cake, decorate with orange zest as a garnish, slice and serve.

38 comments:

  1. Dawn, you've done it again - the Creamsicle is SUCH a classic; and the fact that you used that flavor for the pound cake is BRILLIANT!!! Oh my.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time visiting and I can see I have a lot of good reading to do! Your Vanilla Poundcake had me and the Orange Creamsicle Frosting REALLY got my attention...and my stomach growling!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea what creamsicle is, but by reading the ingredients I'm sure it tastes buonissimo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, yes! I remember creamsicles! Loved them! This looks like a winner I'll have to try. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds amazing! I love the frosting, I want a bite in a big spoon! Yum, how fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seriously? How do you come up with this stuff? It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn,
    I am so happy you are soooo over the landlord/refrigerator crap, pardon! ha! ha!

    This pound cake with its dynamic frosting is the bomb. Your picture makes me want to lick the frosting off your cake ha! ha! Do you do that too? And the way you decorated those little truffles is really darling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first time I hear about orange creamsicle frosting. What a great way to dress a simple poundcake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creamsicle poundcake should be nominated the creamsicle of Winter! What a lovely cake Dawn! And I also liked your "kicked up notch" vanilla bean in the batter! Emeril would be so proud!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had me at Creamsicle frosting. Does it get any better than that? Great post, enjoy the rest of your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes..I will take some of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love creamsicle and have been into it myself lately. Check out my blog for what I found at Target! But the frosting and pound cake sound amazing! I will have to find something fun to put that frosting on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dawn, you talented little devil you. This sounds so delicious. I try so hard to be good on monday, but doggone it if you aren't sending me to bed on Sunday night with an insatiable craving.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the frosting on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous cake! A delicious taste combo!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really shouldn't have seen this while dieting. Usually I don't have a sweet tooth, but this looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sounds like a delicious poundcake! I can only imagine how good the addition of the orange frosting is!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some things just get my attention everytime.... and this is one of them. WOW. I will take two pieces for sure.

    Love it.
    zesty

    ReplyDelete
  19. creamsicles were my favorite ice cream novelties as a kid. i still think they're pretty darn good, but i think i'd like the flavors better on a cake--bravo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I totally remember creamsicles... I think they still make that sort of thing since I seem to recall purchasing some for my son not too long ago. What a fun way to incorporate the flavor- in a frostin!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I'm soooooo making this!! I love the flavor orange!!! Fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmm, more creamsicle flavours...summer never ends!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is great! I love creamsicles.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a combo!! Although I'd be inclined to just make the frosting and eat it with a spoon straight from the bowl. No wonder I can't get the baby weight off.

    ReplyDelete
  25. this looks really good --

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ah creamsicles! My brother and I ate those all summer as kids. They are like the orange julius, remember those? I wish those were still around here. This looks like a delicious take on a great treat. The cake her perfect as it is, but then you make that divine frosting and becomes fabulous. This is truly a great creation, Dawn. I'm impressed once again.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks amazing. I love the creamsicle frosting! You are such a talented baker Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  28. these flavors make me excited - lol - they really do! This looks great!

    -DTW
    www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Is it just me, or do creamsicles not taste as good as they did when we were kids? The ones now are so bland. I remember them being full of orange flavor before. I think your idea to put this frosting on carrot cake is fantastic! Cream cheese frosting on a carrot cake is too predictable and too heavy. I bet this one would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm going to close my eyes then open them again...yes I did see heaven on a plate! Orange Creamsicle frosting??! Vanilla poundcake?!I must have that.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really like the sound of that orange creamsicle frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness, creamsicles are one of my favorite summer pops. I really dig those and the strawberry shortcake thing. Awesome.

    How do you go about craving it as winter's coming? You are too cool, Dawn :) But seriously, with the frosting, you rocked this one. I'm going to try it on a carrot cake for sure.

    Oh, and I totally had a few shots for you last weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. The Zesty frosting on the cake is simply incredibly delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. That is my kind of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Poundcake is my absolute favorite! Your cake looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love creamsicle anything! Great looking cake and love the big layer of frosting on top. Great frosting to cake ratio, kinda like your crumb cake topping to cake ratio!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love creamsicles! They are my favorite. In the summer I made orange creamsicle jello shots with whipped cream vodka. I will have to try this frosting and cake of course.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This