10/28/08

mint glazed brownies

I am always in the mood for a brownie. And I love a good mint brownie too. I love mint anything, but what's really wierd is I do not like the herb mint at all. I do not like cooking with it, because it tastes very strange to me. I guess I only like the fabricated mint taste. ha ha. So nothing fancy on this post, just some classic brownies but I wanted to use up a bag of Andes Thin Mint baking chips up, so I decided to make a glaze/ganache/frosting with them to put on top of the brownies. I guess you could put them inside the brownie, but for whatever reason I wanted to see the green color of the Andes mints on top. You can use whatever brownie recipe you like, I thought I'd share what one I love most (plus I love Ina's brownie recipe too).

What I did differently: I did not use any nuts in the brownie mix since mint and nuts really don't go together. I did not make the frosting , but made the glaze and then on top of the glaze I sprinkled it with the baking Andes Mints.

mint glazed brownies
brownie base from cook’s illustrated

Classic Brownies
1 cup pecans or walnuts (4 ounces), chopped medium (optional)
1 ¼ cups plain cake flour (5 ounces)
½ teaspoon table salt
¾ teaspoon baking powder
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped fine
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 ½ sticks), cut into six 1-inch pieces
2 ¼ cups sugar (15 ¾ ounces)
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon peppermint extract (I added this)

Mint Frosting
1 stick unsalted butter (8 tablespoons), softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar (8 ounces)
1-2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon mint-flavored extract

Chocolate Glaze
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped, or 4 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate
4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 325 degrees. Cut 18-inch length foil and fold lengthwise to 8-inch width. Fit foil into length of 13- by 9-inch baking dish, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; allow excess to overhang pan edges. Cut 14-inch length foil and, if using extra-wide foil, fold lengthwise to 12-inch width; fit into width of baking pan in same manner, perpendicular to first sheet. Spray foil-lined pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Spread nuts (if using) evenly on rimmed baking sheet and toast in oven until fragrant, 5 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool. Whisk to combine flour, salt, and baking powder in medium bowl; set aside.

Melt chocolate and butter in large heatproof bowl set over saucepan of almost–simmering water, stirring occasionally, until smooth. (Alternatively, in microwave, heat butter and chocolate in large microwave-safe bowl on high for 45 seconds, then stir and heat for 30 seconds more. Stir again, and, if necessary, repeat in 15-second increments; do not let chocolate burn.) When chocolate mixture is completely smooth, remove bowl from saucepan and gradually whisk in sugar. Add eggs one at time, whisking after each addition until thoroughly combined. Whisk in vanilla. Add flour mixture in three additions, folding with rubber spatula until batter is completely smooth and homogeneous.

Transfer batter to prepared pan; using spatula, spread batter into corners of pan and smooth surface. Sprinkle toasted nuts (if using) evenly over batter and bake until toothpick or wooden skewer inserted into center of brownies comes out with few moist crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool on wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours. When the brownies are cool, leave them in the pan.

FOR MINT FROSTING: In the bowl of a standing mixer or with a handheld mixer, beat butter and confectioners’ sugar at low speed until just incorporated, then increase the speed to medium and beat until smooth and fluffy, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon milk and mint extract and continue to beat until combined, about 30 seconds, adding up to 1 additional tablespoon milk if necessary to achieve a soft spreadable consistency. Using an offset spatula, spread the mint frosting evenly onto the cooled brownies, cover with foil, and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour

FOR CHOCOLATE GLAZE: Melt chocolate and butter in a medium heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally, until smooth; set aside to cool slightly, about 10 minutes.

Pour the chocolate glaze on the frosted brownies; using an offset spatula, spread the glaze into an even layer. Cover with foil and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Remove the brownies from the pan by lifting the foil overhang, cut into 2-inch squares, and serve. (Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.)

29 comments:

  1. Brownies are so popular, I see them popping up in Europe too!

    Please continue with your brownie tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was looking everywhere for those mint chips a few weeks ago for a recipe and couldn't find them anywhere! And now that I don't need them anymore, I see them everywhere I go. Now I know what I can use them for - these look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love love love chocolate and mint. at first, i thought the andres topping were nuts so i got all confused when you said you didn't use them haha. i'm not a huge fan of nuts in my brownies and i'm definitely a supporter of MORE minty chocolateness so i think the andres stuff was a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the mood for a brownie now too!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. One word: Yum. Hey, you won something over at my blog...stop on by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea. My husband loves mint and chocolate together. I may have to make him these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love chocolate and mint. I could probably eat the whole pan of these in one sitting...maybe with some vanilla ice cream. mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha- I love your "nothing fancy" mint brownies. Mine consist of a mix with peppermint patties in the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh, chocolate heaven! I am with you, i love Ina's brownies (ever had her choco cake?) I am a fan of brownies without nuts so that you can get that pure chocolate taste and with the mint it would just be divine. Lovely little treats, Dawn. Can you send me some?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will have to look for some of those chips.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds fantastic. I love mint and chocolate. I want to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mint is a nice addition for a change. Don't we love Ina's brownies? I'm never tired of brownies recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my....this looks like gooey goodness! I'm going to have to definitely try this recipe out!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, Hello my brownie loving friend! I'm glad to see you're still up raising sinful Halloween chocolaty awesomeness :) I'm a big mint person too, and always thinks it refreshing when it goes with chocolate. Just say something like "Um I'm eating these to... have fresh breath"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dawn, you didn't!! I am now craving, I mean craving these!!! I guess it is a good thing I am at work so I can't start making them now, I know I would gobble up the entire pan!! They look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my God! They are to die for- I better go bake something now because you have me craving chocolate and mint! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. when i want to use up a bag of andes baking chips, i open my mouth and pour 'em on in. :)
    these are a definite improvement upon regular ol' brownies. no doubt about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds amazing. I love mint and chocolate together so this is really an amazing combination.

    ReplyDelete
  19. mmmmm yum :) mint and chocolate is one of my favorite combinations ever! these look to-die-for!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm loving this - sounds great!

    -DTW
    www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dawn:
    YOur last two posts have just had me crawling the walls, going crazy to make them! I'm going out of town soon and trying so hard not to bake but I might just have to cave. These look tooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Drats, I almost picked up a bag of those andies mint chunks at the store. Now I'm wishing I did. These look absolutely fantastic! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmmmm.. Brownies sound SO incredibly good right now. I can't make them though. Greg is diabetic. I'm still looking for a good diabetic recipe for brownies. Let me know if you find anything!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I LOVE Andes candies and my husband always puts a box in my stocking at Christmas. I didn't even know they made baking chips, but I'll be sure to look for them now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yum! These sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those chips have my name on them! I love brownies (surprise lol) and I love mint so you know how I feel about these!

    ReplyDelete
  27. yum! I have been craving mint brownies for the past week. This is pushing me over the edge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. They're absolutely beautiful...those mint chips make them ever so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great flavor combination, mint & chocolate! Wish I had one of these right now!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments!

Share

Get This